Coin Find Percentages

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I finally sorted out the last few months of coins I found and came up with the percentages. Out of 2476 coins found:
1635 were pennies = 66%
148 were nickels = 5.79%
407 were dimes = 16.4%
286 were quarters = 11.5%
I know this doesn't mean much because depending on the discrimination mode used, and type of places hunted, the percentages could change greatly. I just thought this was sort of interesting. I would like to hear other peoples percentages compared to these.

Upvote 0

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
These numbers are also similar to mine from the last 2-3 years. I do my best not to dig zinc pennies, so my penny percentage is closer to 50-52%. My silver coin ratio was one in every 100 coins last year, if I remember correctly.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
You are right on piggman! The percentages always seem to play out just like that, give or take.

We might have days when we get a lot of one type of coin or another, but it usually works out over time that the figures are pretty consistant. We can all use the percentages to judge how we are progressing during the year.

It isn't all set in stone, but it is a good guide.

An article in one of the treasure magazines many years ago touched on this subject. It was real interesting to read. I'm sure I still have the article, but where is the mystery. If anyone else knows of any articles on this subject, please let us know.

Thanks for the info!...........HH

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that percentages can change with location.
I used my old Fisher 1220-X in relatively populated areas in Colorado.
I averaged about 60 coins hunting yards in three hours after work.
Of those 60 coins I would daily pull in 3-5 silvers, Usually dimes with the occasional quarter.
About every eight or 9th coin would be a clad quarter.
I now live in a very remote are of Montana and the ratio's have changed dramatically.
I can have days where I only find 5 coins total.
Yesterday I went out and hunted for an hour and a half and was about to give up because of the rain and lightning when I got a loud signal that I thought was junk but having not heard anything for awhile I decided to dig it anyway.
It was 4 quarters and three pennies in one hole, 1970-1982 period coins so nothing special.
That was my only coin find yesterday and that was in the woods on the edge of a clearing near the base of a tree so I believe that a deer hunter was probably sitting on the edge of that clearing next to the tree and the change fell out of his pocket.
This is a ghost town area though and my old silver ratio when I do find coins is much higher than it used to be.
My land sits directly on top of an old lumber camp and the buildings are collapsed into piles of lumber with a lot of junk but when I do find a coin it's usually a nice one.
I miss the 60 coins a day that I used to find when I lived in town though.
I occasionally have a high coin day but that is usually when I find a yard that has never been worked before.
I do find virgin ground occasionally.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
There is a free program I use called treasure tracker 2.0 try a search see if it comes up. You simply add coins each hunt percentages automatically displayed!

piggman1 said:
I finally sorted out the last few months of coins I found and came up with the percentages. Out of 2476 coins found:
1635 were pennies = 66%
148 were nickels = 5.79%
407 were dimes = 16.4%
I know this doesn't mean much because depending on the discrimination mode used, and type of places hunted, the percentages could change greatly. I just thought this was sort of interesting. I would like to hear other peoples percentages compared to these.

B

BIG61AL

I think your finds are also tied closely to "coins lost" and the likelihood of places being visited by people. Sounds kinda simple but it is just how it is.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Thanks for the link. It looks like it will work just fine.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
piggman1 said:
Thanks for the link. It looks like it will work just fine.

It works perfect! ;) I keep a separate log and when the numbers don't add the same I trust the treasure tracker program is right and painfully go back through my handwritten logs till I find error...Guess what the treasure tracker program is always right...as long as you put the right numbers!! ENJOY! ;)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
piggman1 said:
1635 were pennies = 66%
148 were nickels = 5.79%
407 were dimes = 16.4%

The treasure tracker will also save you a ton of time. Also you asked for percentages so here are mine>>>>
1699 pennies> 54%
256 nickels> 8%
761 dimes> 24%
440 quarters> 14%

Also 9 rings, 2gold, 5 silver, 2 junk, 2 sac dollars, and various silver pendants,bracelets etc... only 4 silver coins for year, thats it for me!

Oh and two sore shoulders, a few blisters, sore feet and headaches from trash>>>uncountable!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks about right. Not many people will bother to pick up a penny if dropped in the dark or rain, etc. Dimes are smallest so they are the easiest to lose. Nickels come in at the junque range on most detectors and a lot of people discriminate them out...also the gold I might add. And quaters? I don't know but I find an awful lot of them especially around where concessions are/were set up. Maybe if you get a handfull of change and drop a quarter you just don't notice it? I've just about quit digging pennies because they are in such bad shape, but a few selected years of clad pennies ring up just like a dime for some reason. Maybe I should start keeping count of the years pennies ring in as a dime and figure out why? Monty

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Monty said:
Looks about right. Not many people will bother to pick up a penny if dropped in the dark or rain, etc. Dimes are smallest so they are the easiest to lose. Nickels come in at the junque range on most detectors and a lot of people discriminate them out...also the gold I might add. And quaters? I don't know but I find an awful lot of them especially around where concessions are/were set up. Maybe if you get a handfull of change and drop a quarter you just don't notice it? I've just about quit digging pennies because they are in such bad shape, but a few selected years of clad pennies ring up just like a dime for some reason. Maybe I should start keeping count of the years pennies ring in as a dime and figure out why? Monty

Monty this ring I found 14k two days ago...here is the story....got a penny signal,,,dug the 2 pennies about .5 down....waved coil over again got a 14 trash/foil but a very solid signal! Was this ring, 2.0 down 1-2 inches to right of pennies! If I did not remove the pennies I would not have recovered ring...I will continue digging pennies :)

Attachments

• 14k ring 22 may 07.jpg
    14k ring 22 may 07.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 14k ring 22 may 07.jpg
    14k ring 22 may 07.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 144
OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Nice ring! So far besides the coins this year, I have 13 silver rings, one has a nice opal and one is a diamond. I have found several silver bracelets, numerous silver "charms", tokens and other odds and ends, but no gold yet. I also have a 5 gal bucket almost full of pull tabs, shredded aluminium, and other assorted trash. I dig most targets that I hit unless I am getting tired or lazy. There are several times I would have missed something if I would have ignored the "trash" or penny signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions