coin found at yard sale

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife prodded me into going to a yard sale across the road from our house. So i went and looked around and was just leaving and stopped to talk a momenet with the home owner and spied a sandwich bag with some uniform buttons inside.They werre the type that uses the little metal clutches that go on the back side that i always seem to lose. So i gavehim a dollar for the bag just to get the clutches. When i got home, to my surprise, inside i found a 1913 Canadian large cent in rough shape and also a very desirable Canadian 1891 large cent in very good condition. My research has shown this to be a highly sought-after coin. In fact, the Charlton Canadian coin book devotes a whole section to the Queen Victorian large cent. Here's a link for more

info.https://www.jandm.com/script/getitem.asp?CID=3&PID=76

CWnut said:
The wife prodded me into going to a yard sale across the road from our house. So i went and looked around and was just leaving and stopped to talk a momenet with the home owner and spied a sandwich bag with some uniform buttons inside.They werre the type that uses the little metal clutches that go on the back side that i always seem to lose. So i gavehim a dollar for the bag just to get the clutches. When i got home, to my surprise, inside i found a 1913 Canadian large cent in rough shape and also a very desirable Canadian 1891 large cent in very good condition. My research has shown this to be a highly sought-after coin. In fact, the Charlton Canadian coin book devotes a whole section to the Queen Victorian large cent. Here's a link for more

info.https://www.jandm.com/script/getitem.asp?CID=3&PID=76
There are 4 different varieties for 1891 ..which one do you have an can we see a picture?

Large Leaf Large Date is the most common. Ditto on icon_that.gif

Attachments

• icon_that.gif
    icon_that.gif
    576 bytes · Views: 1,045
ok here's some pics. the first two show the assortment of junk i bought.

Attachments

• DSCF0075.JPG
    DSCF0075.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 695
  • DSCF0082.JPG
    DSCF0082.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 706
  • DSCF0086.JPG
    DSCF0086.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 710
  • DSCF0084.JPG
    DSCF0084.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 711
  • DSCF0088.JPG
    DSCF0088.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 712
  • DSCF0087.JPG
    DSCF0087.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 719
flip those service pins over ...a lot of those painted pins are 10 K... Dollar well spent!

It looks like a LLSD (Large Leaf Small Date) wide date. I can't really tell though, it's hard to see the number 9. If it is I think it's worth some bucks. There are many varieties of this date coin, I think like 12 or more. Take a closer look and compare the number 9 to these-

Large date
image034.jpg

small date
image036.jpg

I think you should read up on the obverse varieties too. I can't tell because of the blurry obv. photos. Read up here and see what you got (1891 only has two obverse varieties #2 and #3)- http://www.cointalk.com/t97107/ and let me know if you have the small date variety too, like I said it looks like it but it's hard to tell from the photo. I hope for your sake, you do. Update us after you check it out some more. :thumbsup:

diggummup said:
It looks like a LLSD (Large Leaf Small Date) wide date. I can't really tell though, it's hard to see the number 9. If it is I think it's worth some bucks. There are many varieties of this date coin, I think like 12 or more. Take a closer look and compare the number 9 to these-

Large date

small date

I think you should read up on the obverse varieties too. I can't tell because of the blurry obv. photos. Read up here and see what you got (1891 only has two obverse varieties #2 and #3)- http://www.cointalk.com/t97107/ and let me know if you have the small date variety too, like I said it looks like it but it's hard to tell from the photo. I hope for your sake, you do. Update us after you check it out some more. :thumbsup:
like diggumup said the pics are blurry.. Does your camera have macro? it usuually is a flower looking icon on the camera... If so use that it is a function that was made to take clear very close up of very small items.. As for now til we can see better pics.. I think I am agreeing with Diggumup with the variety

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back