Coin size/weight vs. depth?

wallyblackburn

May 11, 2007
Went back to the farm I've been hunting and got 3 more silver dimes. Got 2 over the weekend and 2 last week. This makes a total of 7 dimes (4 rosies, 3 mercs) and 11 wheats. Everything so far has come out of the front yard.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the silver dimes. But I think it's odd to get so many dimes and pennies, but not one quarter.

So, I'm thinkin' (I know, that's bound to cause trouble) - have the quarters sunk farther than the dimes so that they are below my detection depth? If a quarter and a dime are dropped at the same time in the same ground, does the quarter sink faster because it is heavier? Course, it's also a bigger target... (I knew this thinkin' would lead to problems)...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Wally

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, just when I think I know what to say, I think of sizes vs weight, equal, I don't know what.

I would say that there are just more dimes and pennies than quarters. A deeper quarter will read stronger than the same depth dime. Have fun and try not to thunk too much.

HH,
Sandman

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
smaller size and value of pennies and dimes also probably plays a part in the numbers lost game. some people may think they only dropped a penny but actually dropped a dime, etc... but a quarter at say two inches depth would probably mimic a surface dime on many machines. Also would like to say most coins don't sink as much as become covered, progressively that is to say they get more and more debris on top of them as time marches on. Only in certain conditions would coins actually sink do to their shape surface tensions would negate the chances of sinking. Does size and weight contribute to how deep coins can be found ? in a pinch I'd say no.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
What Sandman said. It's easier to lose a penny or dime than a quarter. Just keep hitting the front till you're confident there's nothing left, then go to the sides and back and do the same. ;) HH!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This is just the type of thread I luv 8)

I've spent way too much time thinking about depths and why certain types of coins are found more than others even though they may be much rarer. You and me think a lot alike.

The quarter shortage always bugged me until I realized how easy it is to eyeball a dropped silver quarter. I think most lost quarters are picked up if dropped on open ground. The old quarters we dig today most likely fell into tall grass or muddy ground. Back 100 years ago few public places had short mowed grass. In most parks the grass was longer which gave the horses something to chew on and picnickers something to rest on. This made for awesome coin hidding turf. But still, a big shiny quarter, half dollar, or silver dollar would stand out pretty good.

Dimes are slippery little buggers and mighty easy to drop and like sandman wrote they made a whole lot more of these.

As for sinking, things dropped don't really sink the way most people think they do. They actually get covered via erosion, wind action, or they're pushed down by some weight. Many old parks have deep coins due to horses and buggies running over them during wet weather. Areas with little sod tend toward extreme erosion. The rain action washes away the soil under the coin creating a pit under the coin. The coin falls into this pit and the wet soil covers it.

Grass treats coins like it treats rocks. Grass grows up and around stones and forces them down. This is why most coins are found just at the base of the sod root system. If your sod is 4 inches thick chances are most coins will be 4-5 inches deep.

Bored yet? ;D

I could on with this all day.

Badger

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Come on' badger, let's hear some more!!! I agree that there are usually less quarters circulated, they're easier to spot if dropped, and would they really sink faster???? Being larger diameter wouldn't they stay suspended???? Lots of interesting ideas, nice thread!!!!
Greg

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
gregl01 said:
Come on' badger, let's hear some more!!! I agree that there are usually less quarters circulated, they're easier to spot if dropped, and would they really sink faster???? Being larger diameter wouldn't they stay suspended???? Lots of interesting ideas, nice thread!!!!
Greg

This subject has been discussed many times here and on many other forums. My comments are based upon what I've read online over the last few years and also from my own experience.

I used to think things sink on their own but studies (I'm told) have proved otherwise.

I know size doesn't really determine depth. I hunt lumber camps and have dug iron relics less than 3 inches deep to over a foot deep that weighed over 5 lbs. Weight really has nothing to do with depth unless the item is placed on a mud bog.

Wife says I have to get ready to go shopping so I'll continue this later. :P

Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
MD Dog said:
So in other words size doesn't matter ;D :D ;)

Yes, you just wrote in one short line what I was trying to write in a book ;D

Many think surface size and weight determine the rate of descent but it appears this is usually not the case.

I've hunted my own yard and found Memorial cents dated in the 1980's that were over 5 inches deep. Our last land fill here was in the 1960's so the coins depth happened for some other reason other than fill dirt. The reason being we have a very active fast growing grass in our yard and this causes the rapid descent of anything that is smooth with no jagged edges to catch in the sod. It's interesting to note I've also dug coins over 100 years old at the same 5 inch depth. Once the item gets past the grass roots it often stays there a very long time.

At the beach where there is no grass the wind and rain action on the loose sand is what causes the rapid descent of anything. There items rise and fall according to the action of the wind and water. A coin could be 6 feet deep one week and the next 6 inches deep.

One way to determine rate of descent for any tgiven area would be to simply place coins at certain marked locations and then dig them again like 1-5 years later. The best way would be to use larger coins or slugs and use a probe first to measure exact depth. Most detector meters show a deeper depth than the items actually is. If your machine says 8 inches the item is most likely only 5 to 6 inches deep.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread