Coin sorting percentage map

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you sort copper pennies? Ever wonder where all the copper is, where it is most commonly found in circulation? I've created a map of sorting percentages:

http://www.frappr.com/?a=constellation_map&mapid=68719599394

Please help this map grow! Add yourself to this map, and report your recent percentages. If you're nervous about giving away your location, please approximate (use your state capitol or local post office). Also, tell us what you're sorting and how long you've been at it.

As more people join and contribute, we'll see a map of circulating metal percentages. There are also pin options for nickel and silver, as well as copper.

Upvote 0

Ryedale

Feb 3, 2007
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Cerulean,
Interesting, Can we also add a common "percent" found in circulation in each area, For instance in my area (southwest michigan) I commonly find 28 percent coppers.

Oops I see you added yours already, I'll do the same. Andy

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
28%? dang. That's more than 50% higher than here. Most of mine are 2006 - 2007, and my copper rateis about 16 - 17%. ANd my silver rate for halves is 0.015%. LOL. So I gave up on halves. (11 skunks in 16 boxes!!)

But, even though my rates are lower, I still love my Ryedale and the copper that I am getting from it. :-)

John

Ryedale

Feb 3, 2007
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
jrf30 said:
28%? dang. That's more than 50% higher than here. Most of mine are 2006 - 2007, and my copper rateis about 16 - 17%. ANd my silver rate for halves is 0.015%. LOL. So I gave up on halves. (11 skunks in 16 boxes!!)

But, even though my rates are lower, I still love my Ryedale and the copper that I am getting from it. :-)

John

Now most the time that is with CWR (customer wrapped rolls) and loose bagged from self service machine. I'll have to sample the brinks box again some time.

Neat thing about the machine, even if your percentages are low, the machine makes it worthwhile to sort, immagine hand sorting for 10% copper in pennies. Not for me.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I used to check copper vs. zinc, as recently as a couple of years ago, I had a steady average of 12-15% (Vegas). It took me months to put together a $50 bag of coppers. Anything over 20% was a fluke.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my last 50 dollar bag netted me 1,981 coppers, almost 40%

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread