Coin Star JACKPOT!! 4 Silvers & Other Cool Stuff......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had no time to hunt today after work but I did decide to take a big bag of clad to the CoinStar machine in my neighborhood.

I accidentally mixed an old 12 gauge shell cap in the bag of coins. I'm SO glad that I did because the machine jammed. A screen came up that said that the transaction was interrupted and to ask for assistance; so I did.

I know most of the girls who work in the store. Luckily, the one who came to help is really friendly with me. We talk all the time. When she opened the machine up I looked down and saw a PILE of coins under the machine. I was practically drooling.

When I asked her what they do with all of those rejected coins, she explained that the CoinStar people take care of that; but that I was welcome to take whatever I wanted.

So, I did. I got 4 silver coins; 2 Washington quarters, 1963 & '64, a '57 Rosie, and a '45 Merc; plus a 1943 Steel Wheatie:

CoinStar Jackpot July 20 2015 001.JPG

There was also a cool Camp David Presidential retreat button (or lapel pin or whatever) :

CoinStar Jackpot July 20 2015 002.JPG

And then there were assorted foreign coins from all over; 1 from Aruba, 2 from Africa, a 2 Pence coin and a penny from the UK (I guess), one from Romania, a couple from India, one Asian coin with a dude with a beard on it, a DAV Honor Guard token, a(nother) Chuck E. Cheese token and a few Canadians for a total of 18 pieces. That's the best day I've had in over a week and I didn't even get dirty.

CoinStar Jackpot July 20 2015 003.JPG

There were many more coins I couldn't reach without a broom or something so I had to walk away. I have to admit it wasn't easy.

Before I left the store I asked the girl if I could give her some cash to let me just sweep out from under that machine once in a while. She said to come back and talk when she wasn't so busy. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to work something out. She's really friendly so I have a good feeling. Either way, I made out like a bandit tonight so I'm happy.

I had a similar deal at a Food Lion store a few years back after schmoozing with a few of the girls there. They let me come in and check for silver whenever I wanted and I picked up quite a few nice coins. Then someone in management got wise and put a stop to it but it was fun while it lasted.

This is one time I'm actually happy I didn't get a chance to hunt after running into this score. I also walked away with 54.67 in cash from my clad. That's a really good day in my book.

The big question now is, although I didn't dig these coins, do they still "count" as treasure??
I'm thinkin' "hell yeah they do".......

Last edited:
Upvote 18

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul! I've only ever found modern coins in the reject tray (got 2.82 a few days ago) but keep hoping for a silver or two. Congrats, sure is easier than digging them!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul! I've only ever found modern coins in the reject tray (got 2.82 a few days ago) but keep hoping for a silver or two. Congrats, sure is easier than digging them!

They're inside the machine in the internal bin and under it.
As I recall, she did dump the coins from the internal bin into my bag. That's where a few of the foreign coins came from.

I'm gonna' try and stop by there again this evening if I have time and talk to the girl. I know there are more good coins to be had.

I've often wondered what the company does with all of those coins. They have to be getting tens, if not hundreds of thousands of collectible coins each and every year.
They're ending up somewhere or in the collections of someone. I imagine a certain percentage go back into circulation as well.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I was at a TD bank machine when it jammed.I had at best $50 in clad,when the the clerk opened up the machine,cleaned out the inner parts and put it my bucket ,I ended up with $140 and 4 40% halves!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at a TD bank machine when it jammed.I had at best $50 in clad,when the the clerk opened up the machine,cleaned out the inner parts and put it my bucket ,I ended up with $140 and 4 40% halves!

And I thought I made out really good.

But seriously, sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time and dealing with the right people.
I sure love days like that.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful putting things in there to jam the machine or putting Eisenhower dollars in because they aren't supposed to let you have what's in the inside reject cup. I talked to the technician about a year ago when he was fixing the machine and he told me that what goes in there, stays there. It even warns you that you might not get everything back and you won't be reimbursed for anything that the machine can't process (large dollars, jewelry, etc.). They are not supposed to give anything from that cup out. The way the machine works is that there is an interior chute that the coins go into. They pass a sensor that decides if they are good or not. Good ones go into the two bins inside the machine, rejects are sent to the external reject bin. Not all of them make it there, as they may fall out inside the machine or onto the floor under the machine. Coinstar considers those theirs, even though they were never counted and paid for. Once no more coins fit down the internal chute, if the sensor in the rotating drum still senses that something is there, it will stop and a trap door opens dropping whatever is left into the internal reject cup. You don't get that back, either. They periodically empty it and sort out what's there. Jewelry is sold for scrap (gold, silver, platinum), large dollars and other internal reject coins are cashed in, whenever possible. Copper and brass junk is scrapped. Pure junk is tossed.
If you find someone willing to open the machine and give you what's in there, it won't last long as they aren't supposed to do that. There are sensors everywhere in the machine and they have to log every time it's opened and why.

Scott

Thanks for that really good information. I was wondering what they did with all of those coins.
Now we all know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread