coins and jewelry detector

1baddawgy

hi guys,
need some help here. my head is swimming
the usual question,which detector is best for me. im getting discouraged even before i start.
i had a md about 30 yrs ago and i know that if i can make a decision here that i will enjoy this hobby. mdg. has really come a log way.
i live in nyc. most of my hunting will be in local parks and some beaches. i would like an all around md but it will be used mostly for coins and jewelry. weight just a small concern. depth important, of course, but a very long learning curve with lots of intricate settings i dont think i will need.

with price not being an issue, what detector would be my best choice?

thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
1baddawgy,

lots of good machines out there that would meet
your needs.

1 most of my hunting will be in local parks 5
Works for me
2 some beaches 4+
I don't do much beach hunting but when I did, all ok; found
several gold rings
3 i would like an all around md 5+
Meets any needs. Not sure on gold nuggets, but not my thing.
4 used mostly for coins and jewelry 5+
Coin and Jewelry mode is very good.
5 weight just a small concern. 5
No problem
6 depth important, of course 4+
I am sure there are deeper machines, but I don't
even want to go there. It is deep enough for how
deep I want to dig.
7 lots of intricate settings i dont think i will need. 5+
Turn on and go, learn the small stuff as you work with the
machine
8 price not being an issue 5+

I'm very happy with my Garretts 1500. Tried to rate your
request with what I think of the 1500.

Like I said, lots of good machines out there.

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the garrett 1500 is a nice machine. i think i might look at some of the tesoro models as well if you are looking for simplicity and depth.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll toss my suggestion into the box.

I'm also an oldtimer and recall when TR detectors were the latest thing mid 60's.

All the machines recommended here are good.

But (are you ready for this?) mine just happens to be gooder.

The Tesoro brand is wonderful and the Tejon is the best of the brand. I just bought one last week and I'm killing the coins and jewelry. The Tejon is super deep, fast, and light as a feather. Due to it's lightening fast retune it will cover 2 to 5 times more area than many other brands in any given amount of time.

I dig very little trash because it's great at ignoring small iron junk.

Signals are loud and clear down to about 10 inches deep on coins.

The Tejon is supreme and it even beats my Nautilus IIB.

Badger

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
The Minelab Explorer is hard to beat and there are many different coils available

piedmont

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
:o Badger, I have lurked on this site since beekrock, and always enjoy your posts and learn from them. I am stunned you found something you like better than your nautilus. Care to give us more info on why??
Thanks,
Piedmont

W

Wally

Hi I have owned many detectors currently i use Minelab Explorer II.I have used White's & Garrett's and some off beat crappy ones a long time ago.

Minelab explorers like the Explorer II and the SE models are very good and go deep But with a cost, For new ones ranging from $1000 to &1300 and it takes time to learn and can be difficult and frustrating but if you figure it out it is a great machine ID'ing targets could be better but the performance of this machine makes up for the ID'ing besides you most likely will learn to listen to the tones and not looking at the display. this is Made in Australia.

White's makes a DFX again price around $1200 and there is a learning curve alittle easier than the Explorers. but with the new 12 inch spider coil by white's you can go just as deep good ID'ing of targets and made in the USA.

White's makes another machine the XLT, goes almost as deep easier to learn plenty of upgrades are available for it. it sells for around $800 very nice for the price and works very good and good ID'ing of targets.

If you are looking to save money to see if you will like this hobby before you spend a lot of cash for around $250 you can get the Garrett ACE 250 very easy to use super light on the arm notmuchof a learning curve 2-3 days tops.but not as deep as any of the above. and a very good starter machine.

I also live in NY but on long island. i go to parks in queens Brooklyn and the Bronx too. no MD'ing allowed at any parks in manhatten.

Well i hope this helps. maybe we will cross paths detecting one day
Good luck HH.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
piedmont said:
:o Badger, I have lurked on this site since beekrock, and always enjoy your posts and learn from them. I am stunned you found something you like better than your nautilus. Care to give us more info on why??
Thanks,
Piedmont

Hi Piedmont, it's been a while since I've seen you post. Thanks for the kind words.

I owned two Nautilus machines and both were the IIB model. The Nautilus is very deep and some say it's even deeper than the Explorer II.

When I first started using the IIB I really liked it but there were a few odd things I didn't like but I figured in time I'd get them worked out. One problem was that sometimes for no apparent reason the Nautilus is impossible to ground balance and sometimes it's very difficult to coil balance.

I had times when I had to quit hunting simply because I couldn't get the machine balanced and if one doesn't balance a manual adjust machine they will chirp and make noise like crazy and have poor depth.

You could say I got tired of the heavy weight, tired of balancing the coil, and tired of struggling with ground balance.

I had many tell me the Tesoro Tejon is just as deep as the Nautilus IIB but I never believed them. One day after having to return home without hunting due to the fact the Nautilus was acting up again I immediately ordered a new Tesoro Tejon. WOW! This is the first time I can say I'm totally impressed with a new detector. So far I've found no oddball quirks.

It's much easier to ground balance and there's no coil balancing YES!!! I don't see any difference in depth. I work places where hard digging doesn't matter so I use a full sized shovel. Often with the Tejon I have to dig well over the top of the shovel blade. That's a good 10-12 inches deep.

And the Tesoro is a dream to use. It's light, super fast tuning, mega deep, easy to learn, life time warranty...hey, how much more could one ask for?

HH

Badger

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never saw a person get started or restarted as it were that didn't move up to a better (read more expensive) detector after a while. Instead of blowing a bundle and if you just want to test the waters, look for a bargain price on a Radio Shack 3000 made by BH. You can find them for around a hundred bucks or less. The have most of the standard features including manual ground balance and will work for the beach as well as dryland. I have one I use for a back up machine and find myself using it a lot more than I thought I would just because it's light weight and fun to use. Monty

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to look at the Garret 1350.. I sure like the one I just bought.. Another possibility is the White M6(I'm thinking on this one..)

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
If you are willing to learn the Explorer SE then that's the one to get. It will take some time to understand it but in the long run it will be worth it. There are a lot of great detectos on the market and I'm sure there is one that will fit your needs. You may not need to go as far as the SE and get wht you want.
Give me a call and we can discuss it further if you like
TonyinCT
860-623-1153

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Never saw a person get started or restarted as it were that didn't move up to a better (read more expensive) detector after a while. Instead of blowing a bundle and if you just want to test the waters, look for a bargain price on a Radio Shack 3000 made by BH. You can find them for around a hundred bucks or less. The have most of the standard features including manual ground balance and will work for the beach as well as dryland. I have one I use for a back up machine and find myself using it a lot more than I thought I would just because it's light weight and fun to use. Monty

Have to agree with you 100 percent....They work better than I ever thought possible.....FOR THE PRICE.....I am in between having a good detector at this time...Have a Ace 300, and the Bounty Hunter, it eats the Ace up...My old trusty Whites was stolen, it was old, but I loved it....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread