chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friends had a coin collection stolen a few yrs ago well I found the kid that stole them and he told me where he dropped them in and going to show me tomorrow.. my question is how far will the coins travel down crick. He said he just dropped them in didn't throw them. The current was not strong that day. But this crick does flood pretty bad.. would they have just settled down within so far of drop or could they be way down crick? These coins were from all over the world and some were from his father when he was in military. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't help you with your question about the coins, but I will say that you should drop that kid in the crick for stealing them in the first place.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best bet is to start where he dropped them and follow the flow down. check when you had flood years since and maybe climb the sides of the banks a little. Good Luck

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on river bottom type. 1-If rock strewn than they probably got caught in crevices and didn't go far, 2-if hard pan then they could have traveled quite a bit. If soft and mucky then revert to either 1 or 2 depending on how swift the current was during said floods. Good luck.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks I will try that

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends on a multitude of conditions. Hard or soft bottom, sand, mud how stong of currents and how often. But I would bet the majority of them are still within a few yards of the dump site unless they were in a box and they all got swept away at the same time. Just my 2 cents.

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you can find them but what's the chances you're the first person he told where he dumped the coins?

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well no one else around me metal detects. And rest are to lazy to look haha and I will let you know what I find. It's supposed to rain next few days meeting with the kid tomorrow to show me and angelito ol hold you to the twelve feet. And the bottom is rock and orange iron sludge with some Sandy spots.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just start and then work downstream. You'll probably recover most if the creek isn't too deep.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 2ft at the deepest and then gets more shallow as you go down

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy who stole his Dad's dime collection and bought candy with it. Must have contributed to his Dad's heart problems.

No telling without more info how far they traveled downstream. If that creek freezes they could be nowhere in sight as the ice acts like a bulldozer. I've read about people who dredged lots of coins near a bridge where people would toss them in the water, so if you are lucky they all might be right where he threw them.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I'm hoping

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were just individual coins dropped into the "creek", they're probably still right where they hit the water or slightly downstream depending on current strength. If they were in folders......they could be a LONG way downstream.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they were just individual coins dropped into the "creek", they're probably still right where they hit the water or slightly downstream depending on current strength. If they were in folders......they could be a LONG way downstream.
2 hand fulls of loose coins

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not had a chance to get out yet. And now we are supposed to get some snow so will have to wait and see what it does. I'm hoping maybe Monday since I'll have off

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They won't be up the sides of the creek they will be on the bottom, they should settle in the first crack they hit or behind some rocks maybe but once they are flat on the bottom I wouldn't think they would have traveled too far. He might not be telling the truth though and if you don't find any he's lying to you. HH

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread title brings back old memories. Where I grew up a crick was a shallow water stream that sometimes disappeared altogether in the hot summer months. Creeks on the other hand were deeper, fast moving and could drown you. We kids could play in the cricks but would get walloped if we went in the creek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread