Coinstar delivereth silver!!

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
was working the holiday rush when I finally got a couple seconds to breath, to chill and hear the sweet sound of what's that?!! SILVER!! I watched as two boys in their 20's and a young lady, tried again and again to make some coinage to through the coinstar. 5 times and they still tried till I popped in and asked if the machine was giving them problems. They said yeah and showed me the coins. Quickly I seperated the foreign coins telling the kids that they wouldn't go through. Then I palmed a bahama quarter, a nice 'brave' canada quarter that I didn't have and get this 2 silver quarters. I switched them out for a dollar of quarters, telling the kids to see if the machine would take those. And rather than keep the money and say the fee, they popped the coins into the macine. oy-vay! But I got a 1959 and a 1963 silver quarters for 50 cents. So I made about 12 dollars today in about 5 minutes. If only the silver came to me through rolls rather than the coinstar. but hey it's silver so I will take it.

See ya!
-Garoulady

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why didn't you teach them about silver and tell them to save the quarters? Then teach them about CRH'ing???
I am disappointed in you...

just kiddin. Good ear, and awesome find!

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
They were in their 20's. I only like to teach kids about the coolness of coin collecting. and truth be told I felt my inner paranoid, selfish CRHer self peek out and I embraced it. LOL!

See ya,
-Garoulady

PS - hopefully some more silver falls into my hands. I saw a post where someone turned their 40%'s into gold and boy did that sound like a good idea.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
They were in their 20's. I only like to teach kids about the coolness of coin collecting. and truth be told I felt my inner paranoid, selfish CRHer self peek out and I embraced it. LOL!

See ya,
-Garoulady

PS - hopefully some more silver falls into my hands. I saw a post where someone turned their 40%'s into gold and boy did that sound like a good idea.

I am waiting for silver to hit $35-$37 to sell off my 40% to Provident and when it rebounds for the correction back down to $33-$30, I would rebuy in, make some extra Ozt and consolidate my holdings into 90%.

Silver outperforms gold. Its nice to deversify and gold carries more value to weight but the performance of Silver and the fact that it has historically been a 15 oz of silver to 1 oz of gold ratio and yet its currently a 52:1 silver to gold ratio tells me Silver is the place to be currently. At a 15:1 ratio, silver should be sitting at $115.08 an ounce.

That is just my perspective on the situation.

P.S. I have not had a coinstar score in a while. Last one I scored on, the guy tossed me the dime for free even though I was going to give him a dime for it.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
They were probably a couple of punks, wouldn't surprise me at all if they stole them considering they dumped them at a coinstar machine. Good work.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you're lucky, I've been checking those things for years and still no free silver. oh well!

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Jerseyben- She is apologizing as though she did something wrong and now others are making her feel bad for nothing, acting like taking these coins off these two 'gentlemen' was horrible act. They are loosing money in the first place using a Coinstar machine, why not educate them on a place where they don't pay coinstar's outrageous percentage fee?

I'm guessing she either works at a grocery store or a bank, and probably earns much less than the two 25 year olds who walked in. What goes around comes around, and thats silver and she got silver. Good job once again, and I do not mean to step on anyone's toes, but, please, this is a win and something to be happy about and not apologetic in any sort of way.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She did nothing wrong.

Learn about coins, and you will cease to be a victim.

I know nothing about certain things, so I rung out. Cars for example.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took about 2 months for Garou to start to come around to the dark side. I guess now we have to beat Pilota over the head for a while. You do not "educate" anyone on silver! For everyone you "educate" you dilute the hobby.

Good job and good finds Garou!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score Garou! I see nothin wrong w/ your play on those quarters. We deal w/ ignorant people in this hobby day in and day out. In fact, we DEPEND on others ignorance for our success. If I was "honest" wouldn't I put an ad in the paper every time I got a good score at a bank? It should go something like this: 'Found: Solid rolls of silver half dollars at Chase bank. Please call me if you think they might be yours.'

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody has to beat anyone and why say that. Nor educate others for that matter if no desire,,, bottom line it was not even a fair offer coming from a collector in my personal opinion.

I find coins in parks and beaches left behind with a detector. Not by looming around a coinstar misleading someone face to face!

And hobbyist calls it a "find" when coins were "switched out" on the spot? This was deception flat out.

No.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
they wanted to dump coins into the coinstar --the coin star would not "accept" their coins --so he /she swappped the coins it would not accept for coins that it would "accept" on a 1 for 1 basis --they got their "dump" coins to dump at a 7% loss (cashing in fee charged by coinstar * ) please note if if they are too lazy or too dumb to rol their coins & turn them in for "paper cash' at a bank at a 0% mark up --generally trying to teach them about stuff like the value of silver is a waste of your time .

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
actually for a cashier I make a decent wage. About 12 dollars an hour. Not as good as some folks but well enough to help my mom out. I have had that question popped to me about the stolen aspect. but like I tell my bosses, when I got the 11.40 in face value silver, if the cops come looking for it, I will happily turn it over for my 11.40 cash back. I totally understand and have seen and testified about stolen money being turned into the coinstars. I am less than 3 feet from my coinstar since I watch the SCOs (self checkouts lanes) and listen to the amount of coinage being turned in. I have alerted management to suspicious activity and found out that 9 times out of 10 its stolen money.

But I am hopeing someone else brings me silver. Heck I was totally happy just to find the Brave them canadian quarter. I didn't have that one yet. Nice!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I wish you good eats and good hunts.
-Garoulady

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two questions was the people happy when they left? If so were you happy? If both parties are happy whats the problem??????
She gave a us dollar for someone who wanted a dollar not silver or foreign. Good job GarouLady.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread