First time dumping at a "Coinstar" - Epiphany

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brought about $470 home to dump at a bank in my hometown- "Fisher-price my first dump bank"

Instead of giving coins to a teller, I thought I'd give the (new) free for customer coin counter in the lobby a try..

After first $350ish went through the machine said Error.. I figured I filled the half bag and it needed changed..

But nnnooo the machine said sensor error needs cleaned.. Long story short after about 45 min the teller hand picks the rest of my dump and takes it to the machine in the back... I get about $465 for what should have been $471.50

Anyone else have machine Problems like this...

PS. I just had an epiphany.. I need/want to open a business that sells/maintains coin counting machines maybe even atms. If there are any "Sharks" out there willing to invest or Any entrepreneurs already in the biz please contact me!!! Love what you do right?

Happy Hunting!

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Part of the risk of using a coin machine. One machine I use I swear eats about $2 a week in halves. I use two machines like it at two different branches each week. I just see it as one of the costs of CRH. Like short coin in CWR's and buying bags that are short coin. Its the risk you have to be willing to take.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Put about $50 - 75 dollars through, wait til most are in the bag, dump another $50 - 75, repeat. Basically, dump slowly through the machine. Will cut down on errors like that, jams, and the coin bag backup error. It takes a couple more minutes to be patient, if you jam all the coins up into the belt all at once, you will constantly get problems.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
if its a coinstar and you dump your money in it too fast, the machine starts to miss money. Just slow down, check the reject bin, where a lot of times it will throw the overflow and check the ramp that goes from where you dump your coins to where it empties in the counting wheel. A lot of coins get stuck in there when there is an sensor error. I usually take a bent paperclip and coax the money down so I can catch it. also have the person checking the machine, check the reject cup that is right under the counting wheel. I have found a lot of IKEs and large coins in there that coinstar won't take. The coinstars can't reject them because they are too big, so it goes into that secondary reject cup.

See ya,
Garoulady

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I suggest you dump slower and less at a time. If you hear the machine 'crunching' while its giving the total, just keep checking the reject bin. please dont use the word epiphany, its a word for jerks to use. Its one of those words where its good to know the meaning of, but not put into practice, at least in terms of street smarts. if you said that in the hood, you'd probably would not be welcomed back. Its not too bad of an idea though, that business idea of yours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread