Coinstar Hunting Tips and Tricks

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1476592 View attachment 1476593 View attachment 1476594 Okay, tried my "technique" while visiting my In-Laws in southern CA, $0.50 in cents plus 2 crappy Ike's. Manager opened up the Coinstar and looked in Dirt Cup. She pulled out 5 large dollar coins, my 2 Ike's plus 3 others. One had a silver edge. I did not bother asking for the few remaining small coins. Casually checked out the silver coin and nearly fainted when I saw the 1885 Morgan in great shape! Second store - Manager was all business. Handed me my 2 Ike's and said "No" when I asked for the coins on the floor. Thanked her and left. Third store - Manager retrieved my 2 Ike's, I asked for the rest of the coins in the Dirt Cup and she dumped the entire contents in my bag. Here are the pics. Thanks Monstarules!

cant see the pics but congrats on ur success

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess my uploaded pics from my iPhone did not work will post them Saturday night.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, pics as promised....

Attachments

• IMG_3064.JPG
    IMG_3064.JPG
    611.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3065.JPG
    IMG_3065.JPG
    743.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3066.JPG
    IMG_3066.JPG
    689.2 KB · Views: 146

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was my dirt cup score from last week....
IMG_1078.JPG

7 Ike's, among other goodies!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome loot BWD! Are you finessing the Dirt Cup by claiming lost Ikes or have you developed a relationship with the Customer Service Manager to let you into the Coinstar. Just curious since I've done the Ike technique at all the Coinstars in my town and need to try something new, lol.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a vendor at over a dozen stores, only a few have given me the goods, other stores give me the stink eye, or have flat out told me no, for various reasons. I don't have an issue with the no's, cuz I'm working and I got more money to make on the route.

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road trip from yesterday. Incoming!

20431191_1489074854483557_2850677363062797705_n.jpg
20376121_1489074911150218_7515421257645362885_n.jpg

20429702_1489074974483545_784670162518345147_n.jpg
20431192_1489075014483541_6793541752143304714_n.jpg

4 nice Ikes, a bunch of foreigns, and now for the numistatic finds...

1926 Canadian Nickel (and it is a far-6 variety! Woah!!!)
1963-D US Dime
1956 and 1946 Wheat Cents
2009-S Proof Half Dollar (It's just clad, but it is still cool!)

Last edited:

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a vendor at over a dozen stores, only a few have given me the goods, other stores give me the stink eye, or have flat out told me no, for various reasons. I don't have an issue with the no's, cuz I'm working and I got more money to make on the route.
Cool, thanks for sharing. I'll get the nerve one day and just ask to rescue coins from the Dirt Cup!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet stuff Monstarules!

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some intense research I can confirm this is a FAR 6 nickel. It is worth hundreds!

20429627_1489483261109383_222292038445235792_n.jpg

The lighting makes it hard to tell it is a far-6, but it is a score! Probably not banner worthy but SCORE! Probably my first find worth grading!

EDIT: Better lighting! Now you can really see the distance between the 6 and the maple leaf!
20526320_1489495157774860_1365176591544795719_n.jpg

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess what some are saying is this. Everyone is posting about how to get the coins. Everyone that reads this is going to try the same thing! Then stores are going to be harassed constantly and the stores are going to get with coinstar and ask for a policy change. Does all of this sound familiar? Remove store and coinstar and insert bank. You'll have the same demanding people, similar to coin roll searching demanding the money. You know, like the little buttheads that demand the banks give them rolls, search them then bring them back to same bank, expecting more to be ordered! There's always jerks out there that ruin it for everyone. Some of the statements I'm reading on here give me a cold shiver. Enjoy it while you can because it won't be long before the policy is changed.

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a point. Frequenting machines raises suspicion. In fact, I wouldn't dare to frequent the same one more than once a month at a place I do not know the workers. I know it also is a pain and can distract them from helping other customers. However I make a point of not frequenting the same machines, and not asking to have them opened when it is really busy, unless I am friends with the people who can open them. Besides, I find a lot of my things in the reject tray! I always strive to be extremely friendly to all of the people who help me. I explain how I like to rescue pieces of history from being thrown out, or melted down by the mint. Younger workers are especially friendlier to you.

As far as a policy chance concerning the dirt cup, Coinstar would not want to do that due to the legal ramifications and the amount of manpower they would then require to run the machines. They'd first have to admit openly and in bigger letters that the machines do not reject everything, which would bring a mass of negative attention to them. Secondly, it would make the stores unable to clean out the machines. Thirdly, they are well aware coin collectors are getting at and in the machines, and they really do not care because the dirt cups are not counted, and 99 times out of 100, collect only trash. They really only care if their money boxes are touched and their counts are low, but as far as someone touching the dirt cup, I quote from a phone call with a technician I had once: "We're aware that it can collect big dollar coins, because whatever doesn't fit into a slot gets put in there. The dirt cup is not counted. It is a reject slot. If you want what is in it, you are welcome to ask the store, since it is usually trash." Quite a nice gentleman, he even told me about what he had gotten from the rejects and dirt cups.

In addition, this is a thing a lot of people are reluctant to ask about, compared to CRH'ing. This is a thing that requires you to be a very friendly person. You need to have an air of charm with you, or else you are bound to get a nasty response. Be aloof and kind. There also are not 1000's of videos on the web about this. In fact, there probably aren't more than 10-20. This is extremely different from a regular thing, and a lot of people are not willing to ask to see a dirt cup of a machine.

EDIT: Stepping away from the negativity (which is well placed, in this case) I also didn't say where I found that nickel. It was on top of the machine! I can't wait to get it graded.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My point is you're not thinking outside the box. You are only thinking about when you are gonna be there. Of all the people that post on here, there are hundreds or thousands that just read. Now figure them into the equation. There will be lots of people trying the technic when you aren't there. That's where the problems come in.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MonstaRules, write an ebook and sell it on Amazon--make even more money!

silverhound74

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check the coinstar machine at my walmart, and theres never anything there.. I`m thinkin I have heavy competition...

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Demographics and population density mean something. If you are in the middle of nowhere...tough luck. Change up the places where you go, try and get a scope on when the clean out the machines.

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the time I've posted this, I have found quite a few more coins, including a very special key-date Canadian nickel. Although, I haven't gotten to see much, since working out of state in the boonies for several months has limited my adventures to road-hunting for Coinstar kiosks while I am driving back and forth on the rare occasion, with the help of my Google assistant, of course! I'm now heading back tomorrow, and it is going to be a rainy day, and it is the end of the month, which in my experience, means Coinstars will be productive tomorrow, and likely contain many interesting coins! Since some store employees have been very nasty to me lately when I ask (some of them must be coin collectors), and being denied a 1940-D Merc in the dirt cup today (I am not giving it up, and I intend to go back tomorrow and try again, armed with more knowledge!), I wondered if anything had changed. So I gave a ring to Coinstar's customer service help line! This time, I was very specific and got right to the points.

Rep: Thank you for calling Coinstar customer service, my name is -----, how are you doing today?
Monsta: Very good sir, thank you! How are you?
R: Aha! Thank you for asking, most people don't ask! I'm well. How may I assist you today?
M: I had a question involving interesting coins being found in the machine!
R: Oh certainly! What may I answer for you my friend?

At this point, I came clean to him about being a coin collector and wanting to know more about how the machines worked. I mentioned that you can find all sorts of neat things in the reject slot. I asked more about the reject slots, seeing if much had changed.

R: Certainly the machines can reject a lot! A list of what is rejected, although incomplete, does give a good idea. These are very good, and interesting questions; I'm glad to answer them! Well, the machines important part is the motorized table. It sorts coins by size, and they are weighed. Whatever doesn't match, the machine's specifics is kicked back out to the reject slot. Now, as for bigger coins and trash, they don't always fit through those holes, so they go to a secondary compartment so the machine doesn't jam, the dirt cup! So big coins, bent or damaged coins, sticky coins, and of course, trash like nails, washers and screws, will end up there.
M: How does it work, like, a trap door? And is it just another reject slot?
R: Exactly! It is just a reject slot, and yes while it IS in the machine, it is still just a reject slot.
M: I'm assuming most people don't know about it, though it is easily figured out I suppose! So here is the big question I suppose, am I allowed to ask to see and get what is in the dirt cup?
R: Absolutely! It is just another reject slot, nothing in it is counted, and it is just usually thrown out.

At this point I admitted that I was rudely rebuked by a few store employees when I recently asked to see the dirt cup (using my kid sister story, and the truths, though I didn't mention my methods to him), who balked at the idea of giving me coins from the dirt cup. I asked him if stores are informed about what the dirt cup is.

R: Absolutely they know, it is why they have a key to the machine. If they didn't, we would have to send out technicians every time someone jammed a machine. It happens a lot.
M: Why do you suppose that they balk at the idea of letting me see what is in the dirt cup?
R: Your guess is as good as mine, it's often just trash, even though it can acquire valuables. Anything else sir?
M: Nope, thank you sir! Have a good one.
R: Thanks for your call sir, good luck and find some cool stuff!

How is that for customer service. The guy needs a promotion. Compliments to Coinstar for again affiriming that we ARE allowed to see and get what is in the dirt cup. It has come to my attention that a lot of stores are afraid of the machines because they are owned by a third party and often don't want anything to do with them. Below are some reasons that I'm going to supply, gathered with my knowledge.

Reasons the customer service person/manager doesn't want to open the machine and show you the dirt cup
-They aren't trained on how to open the machine
-They think you are trying to steal
-They are afraid you are going to get them in trouble
-They know the coins don't belong to you
-They're unsure if what you say is true
-You know a little too much about how the machine works
-You have used a few excuses too many times
-They think that the dirt cup isn't a reject slot
-They think that giving the coins to you is wrong, and that someone could walk in any second and suddenly ask for the specific coins you want.

In my experience, this is the quote I get often:
-"I can't just open the machine and give you what's in the dirt cup, that's Coinstar's property."
Which often leads to me explaining it is a reject slot, and leads to either:
-"Then why is it in the machine and requires a key?"
Which is easily explained, with the proper knowledge. However, when you get this next quote, you need to tread lightly:
-"But I can't just give it to you in good faith because: it's not yours."
And of course, you will sometimes run into these solutionless issues:
-The answer is a stout "No.", and they don't give you any reasons.
-Often, the Brinks/Loomis/Armored car guys are coin collectors and tell them not to touch the machine unless there is a problem.
-At my girlfriend's store and local stores, the managers/employees are coin collectors.
-They also could have a store policy against even touching the thing, and call Coinstar whenever the machine jams (even though they are supposed to just fix it themself)

Because I am an avid collector, and I want to save coins, there are solutions to most of the toughest questions. Being friendly and polite is important, because a smile often goes miles. I think the most effective way to handle the "Coinstar's property" question, is to say that since you ARE a coin collector, you have extensively researched and gotten information on how the machines work since you like to collect coins, and that Coinstar has said that you are allowed to have whatever is in the dirt cup/trash bucket since it is just an interior reject slot that is not counted (which is 100% factual and true information). If they don't give up and continue arguing, they're most likely going to then throw a "but why does it need a key" question at you. Again, easily walked around. Explaining how the machine works is a simple solution. Remind them it is just a reject slot that is inside the machine, since there is no other way for it to work that way, but it is still, at the end of the day, just another reject chute. If they start going into circular reasoning, and asking questions you answered already, you might be dealing with a collector. I'd avoid getting antagonistic with managers, since they run the show, and that can blow your chances, but if it becomes apparent that they have ulterior motives, calling them out on it isn't a terrible idea, although it certainly isn't the best. The number one way to oust a collector without calling them out is suggesting them to ask Coinstars customer service. When they refuse to, aand are asking you the same questions, bingo, ulterior motives. If they refuse because it isn't yours...well, stay tuned for that.

Below are a few hypothetical situations:

SITUATION 1 - EASY SUCCESS
M: Hi, how are you today?
CSR: Hello sir! I am good. How may I help you?
M: I am a coin collector, blah blah coinstar, blah blah blah dirt cup, blah blah.
CSR: Isn't that inside the machine?
M: It is, but it is a reject cup, you usually throw out what is in it, but it can collect neat stuff, and I would love to see it!
CSR: That's really neat! Sure, I'll be right around!

SITUATION 2 - MEDIUM SUCCESS
M: I am a coin collector, blah blah coinstar, blah blah blah dirt cup, blah blah.
CSR: Um, well sir, what's in the machine is property of Coinstar. Why should I give you what isn't yours?
M: Well, it is a reject slot that's just inside the machine sir!
CSR: It is inside the machine though, if it was for you, it would be on the outside.
M: It's a good question, and one I asked too. So I called Coinstar! Apparently, that's the way it is designed sir, as without it, you would have to unjam the machine several times a day. The dirt cup operates on a trap door system - you'll see it if you open the machine and look into the hopper. The red flap is a trap door that opens when damaged coins, large coins, and of course, trash, are not fitting into the sorter!
CSR: Well, alright, I suppose since it isn't counted, and it is usually just tossed.
M: Thank you so much!

SITUATION 3 - HARD SUCCESS
CSR: Um, well sir, what's in the machine is property of Coinstar. Why should I give you what isn't yours?
CSR: It is inside the machine though, if it was for you, it would be on the outside.
M: It's a good question, and one I asked too. So I called Coinstar! Apparently, that's the way it is designed sir, as without it, you would have to unjam the machine several times a day. The dirt cup operates on a trap door system - you'll see it if you open the machine and look into the hopper. The red flap is a trap door that opens when damaged coins, large coins, and of course, trash, are not fitting into the sorter!
CSR: While those are fair points, I'm not sure I can just do that. It remains a fact that, even if it is a reject, it is NOT your property. What if someone else comes in asking for what you take? What if it like, a family heirloom? I'm not just going to let you take what is there, I can't do that.
M: Excellent points, sir. However, you do realize that if you don't let me see what's there, and I completely understand if you don't, what is to stop your employees, a Coinstar technician, a lying person, the armored car guys, or your boss from taking what's there out of the machine, or worse, throwing it away? The truth about the dirt cup, is that nobody really knows about it. Select few people know outside of Coinstar, armored car companies, and retail location employees. The sad reality is that even if you took the valuables out of the Coinstar, prevented anyone else from taking them, and started waiting for someone to get them, they're most likely never going to be coming back for it if it stays there unclaimed for more than a few days. I've tested this myself. I had a friend at a store back where I live, who would give me the stuff from the dirt cup. I was the only person who had EVER asked to see it over the course of her 3 years of being employed there. I mean it, nobody else did. Has anyone else asked here?
CSR: Well...truthfully, nobody but you has asked // OR // Indeed, people have asked, but it has been few and far between, and all of them were looking for rings and other family items, not coins (Sadly, nobody cares about what coin gets tossed in there). I suppose it isn't going to hurt letting you look.
M: Thank you, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. It's just that I hate seeing history disappear in a trash can, or worse, into a furnace.

SITUATION 4 - ABSOLUTE REFUSAL
CSR: While those are fair points, I'm not sure I can just do that. It remains a fact that, even if it is a reject, it is NOT your property. What if someone else comes in asking for what you take? What if it like, a family heirloom? I'm not just going to let you take what is there, I can't do that.
M: Excellent points, sir. However, you do realize that if you don't let me see what's there, and I completely understand if you don't, what is to stop your employees, a Coinstar technician, a lying person, the armored car guys, or your boss from taking what's there out of the machine, or worse, throwing it away? The truth about the dirt cup, is that nobody really knows about it. Select few people know outside of Coinstar, armored car companies, and retail location employees. The sad reality is that even if you took the valuables out of the Coinstar, prevented anyone else from taking them, and started waiting for someone to get them, they're most likely never going to be coming back for it if it stays there unclaimed for more than a few days. I've tested this myself. I had a friend at a store back where I live, who would give me the stuff from the dirt cup. I was the only person who had EVER asked to see it over the course of her 3 years of being employed there. I mean it, nobody else did. Has anyone else asked here?
CSR: It doesn't matter, and if someone else takes it, well that's messed up, and it wasn't okay with me. I'm not going to be part of an issue by giving you what isn't yours. I don't care if it belongs to nobody. I don't care if Coinstar said you can have it. It either goes back to the owner, or it goes in the trash. And no I am not taking it out of the machine. It stays there.
M: I'm sorry, have a nice day.

Thoughts? I'm going to stick with saying I am a coin collector from now on. It will be best for building up a relationship with the workers at your store. Most people, except the complete virtue signalers, will probably not even give you this much of a hard time, but let's be honest, crazy things happen.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread