Coinstar Hunting Tips and Tricks

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the update and new ideas MR! I have one Customer Service Manager at our grocery store who gives me the contents of the Dirt Cup when I ask. I've only done it a couple of times and nothing of value found yet. When I approached the Manager of a different store explaining I was a coin collector and wanted to "rescue coins from the Dirt Cup" he refused much like your Situation 4. I thanked him and went about my shopping. I will be visiting family for Thanksgiving and plan to try your approach with those store managers.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Could always say that you think that you MIGHT HAVE DROPPED SOMETHING OF VALUE in the machine and it didn't come out in the reject bin, and might be in the dirt cup.

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a good day. Lots of finds. Will post when I get home. A store even called Coinstar and they said "yep go ahead"

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regularly check the reject tray in the only coinstar in my small town. But I am also looking on the ground as I walk the parking lots to get into all stores. I tend to park a long distance from store entrances (because I do not trust drivers of cars that park next to me I do not like door dings) so I get to look at a lot of asphalt.

I find coins every now and then. Several years ago I even found a well driven on gold/diamond ring.

But yesterday coming out of a store, about 4 feet from the door, I see what is clearly a folded $10 bill. I quickly bend over and grab it. Then notice a lady grabbing for the same bill about a second behind me. She giggles realizing I was just a bit faster than her. I said since we both saw it would you like to split it? She declined and went into the store.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread