Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being old(er), I haven't figured out how to post a photo yet, so prior to the story I need to disclose that one...

Our local HEB (grocery) has the Green Machines, and I always do the cursory scan as I walk by on the way out. Lo and behold, there are coins!

Sweep them up and keep walking to the car where the magnifying glass is, and take a quick look:
two chewed up zinc pennies, and a 1943 wheat.

But the 43 wheat isn't right. It is copper. Thoughts of retirement, Disney cruises, and steak momentarily pass through my head.

I get a magnet out, and it sticks. Thoughts of 6 more years of work, a trip to Galveston, and Sonic now dwell in my brain.

Apparently someone who thought to pass this off as something it was not painted a copper cover over the steel. After looking at it for some time, it may have been copper "washed" for the effect, but nevertheless it was not what it seemed.

It will make a good sermon example for this Sunday, but I'm back to hamburgers.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score not a sparrow shall from the sky be it not my will or a copper 43 land in the coin star
Triple check that coin my friend

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being old(er), I haven't figured out how to post a photo yet, so prior to the story I need to disclose that one...
photo_camera.gif
If you are having problems posting pictures - take a look at: How to post pictures with your story...

Our local HEB (grocery) has the Green Machines, and I always do the cursory scan as I walk by on the way out. Lo and behold, there are coins! Sweep them up and keep walking to the car where the magnifying glass is, and take a quick look:
two chewed up zinc pennies, and a 1943 wheat...
t_r.gif
tn_coinstar.gif
t_l.gif

..: NICE RECOVERY peruna :..
Here is my CoinStar Surfing Log!
tn_moved_over.gif

..: Moved from TODAY'S FINDS! over to COINSTAR FINDS for more exposure :..​

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't washed, it was plated with copper after it left the mint.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread