Coinstar Rejects - Nice find! First

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all,

So I was in the grocery store today and walked past the coinstar machine like I usually do. Looked at the reject tray as I was passing but didn't see anything. So I went and did my shopping. After breaking the self checkout line (Bill changer got jammed up. Pretty sure it wasn't because my total was $6.66 :p ) I walked past it again and lo and behold there were a handful of coins in the reject tray. So I scooped em up and headed out. On the way to my vehicle, I took a look at what I got.

1 - 1965 Canadian Nickel
1 - 1979 Canadian Nickel
1 - 1952-2002P Canadian Nickel
1 - 1988 Canadian Quarter
4 - US Pennies from late 70's to early 80's
And the nice find:
1 - 1915 Canadian Penny ^_^v (Pic Below)

It's my first old find in a coinstar machine. It's pretty dark and a little rough. No clue if it's worth anything really. But nice to see an older coin from the coinstar.

Attachments

• Penny.jpeg
    Penny.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 539
  • Penny 2.jpeg
    Penny 2.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 681

Zephr

Oct 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually picked up a 1918 Canadian penny today at my local coin shop. They had it labeled as F-12 and it looks a bit better than yours. I paid a whopping 65 cents for it.

It may not be worth much, but it is certainly worth hanging on to! HH!!

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That in pretty rough shape. Up here large cents in that kind of shape are usually found in abundance in bulk bins for 25 or 50 cents, not really valuable because it is a common date and poor shape. Back in the day when those circulated kids loved putting those on the train track and seeing them get flattened out like a pancake.

Like I said its nothing real special/valuable but all the same a cool find.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
Back in the day when those circulated kids loved putting those on the train track and seeing them get flattened out like a pancake.

we like to do that to here in america.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of my forein coin collection is from fines in the Coin Star machine from my store and I've also noticed that Coin Star doesn't like old silver coins :dontknow:

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
ckrakowski said:
That Canadian Guy said:
Back in the day when those circulated kids loved putting those on the train track and seeing them get flattened out like a pancake.

;D

Can't remember them circulating, Canadian Guy. When was the last time you saw it in your change?

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Canadian hunter said:
ckrakowski said:
That Canadian Guy said:

;D

Can't remember them circulating, Canadian Guy. When was the last time you saw it in your change?
I can't say I have seen them circulated for myself but there was a time. They were last minted in 1920 so certainly before then. My great uncle who grew up in the depression said occasionally he would see them in circulation. One time I was getting coins at a bank and I was just waiting on the vault teller to get the coins. I was dealing with a new teller and so I was telling him how I collect coins because he asked why I needed $25 in pennies and just for fun I showed a large cent I had with me. He really enjoyed seeing that and he was sure to call me later on when he got some old $1 and $2 bills.

The lesson I learned there was that tellers (especially young unknowledgeable tellers) enjoy seeing old obscure coins and are sure to become your friend if you show them something interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread