Cold Weather Prospecting Gear?

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its cold ! ! ! Average temperature has been about 35 degrees, no snow, but I can only imagine how cold the water is...

As I sluice, dig and pan for gold; how do I keep warm?

I had Walmart rubber boots, but they could not survive the rigors of digging, walking over gravel and general use. They are now cracked and leaking. What are my best options to keep warm and dry, without breaking the bank? Christmas gifts leaned out my wallet. Neoprene/rubber boots? Hip waders? Neoprene gloves?

Upvote 0

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ProPointer, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you need depends a bit on your personal preference, activity level, and how cold it is. 35 degrees is warm for me and I go in the mountains year round and have camped in Nepal above 20,000 feet at -40 degrees. We are lucky we live in an age where we have clothing that makes this fairly easy. Above 20 degrees, I can get by with thick wool socks, thermal underwear, fleece pants and waders (assuming I am walking in the water...if not, I don't need all this). If it's colder or if I am getting in up my neck, a 7 mil farmer john style wet suit helps.

What is critical in all cold situations is to make sure you have your extremities well taken care of. A good head covering (wet suit hood is great if you getting deep) such as hat and balaclava help (especially if it's windy). For sluicing the arms and hands are critical. Make sure you have a really good covering on your arms. I like wet suite lobster style (thick...7 mil) gloves. These are the ones with three fingers together.

Let me offer one word of advice. If you are not used to getting out in the cold for hours, work up to it slowly. Working in water in cold temperatures is tricky and you have to know your body and how to dress. Get out as much as you can and work up to the more extreme temperatures.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reddington Crosswater waders with neoprene booties. Wear slip on beach shoes over the booties. Long sleeved Guantlet gloves with chemical hand warmers inside. Longjohns and a hoodie. Now quit whining and start finding some yella! :laughing7:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Neoprene waders to get set up them 7 mil farmer john with wetsuit heater.Temp this day was 32-40 and water at 33-34.

dredge2.jpg

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whatever you do, watch out for hypothermia--had it once--don't ever want that fun again. Here's a little test that saved us so that we pulled out of the river and built a fire under a piece of plywood we were lucky enough to stumble upon (river flotsam) that was lodged in a hole in the bank. As promised, here's the test: touch your little finger to your thumb then touch each successive finger to your thumb until you reach your index finger; it's easy right? Or reverse the order--no problem.

When you're fine, in no danger, this is no problem--when you get so you can't touch a couple of the fingers to the thumb--get help fast--get warm--live. That's how I knew we were in serious trouble--could no longer touch the last two fingers (little and the one next to it) to the thumb, and it was very difficult to connect the thumb to the finger next to the index finger! Your brain will never tell you it's too late--that you're too far gone, but you can force your brain to bring your mind to a conscious level by doing the little test I did.

Always carry something to start a fire as well.

Hope you never have to use it, and all the best with the great advice you've been given on how to stay warm,

Lanny

Last edited:

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be careful of sweating, I usually tend to dress light but I know from experience that a sweat soaked under shirt or socks your body temp will drop quickly. and also beware of rocks that are slicken down with ice.. And depending on how far you go an extra set of clothes never hurts.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Truthfully, a warm fire, a comfy chair, a map for spring and a bottle of Jack...

Hangtown

Jan 10, 2013
El dorado county
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its cold ! ! ! Average temperature has been about 35 degrees, no snow, but I can only imagine how cold the water is...

As I sluice, dig and pan for gold; how do I keep warm?

I had Walmart rubber boots, but they could not survive the rigors of digging, walking over gravel and general use. They are now cracked and leaking. What are my best options to keep warm and dry, without breaking the bank? Christmas gifts leaned out my wallet. Neoprene/rubber boots? Hip waders? Neoprene gloves?

. Rubber/ponchos and wool. Wool stays warm when wet. That's what miners in '49 wore. Or just go home and leave the gold for me..... Ha!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To seal the leaks in boots or waders you can use the rubber coating material they sell at your hardware store for coating tool handles...then those Walmart rubber boots will last longer.

Mine it and recycle it!

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! : )
I'd like to think I'm used to cold weather, being in the scouts with my son, we have camped in all types of weather. I've hunted and sat in blinds for hours on end in 10 degree weather. : ) In these actvities, we can avoid from getting wet. But when sluicing in the river, you can be in cold water all day and this is what I am not used to :coffee2:

Neoprene looks like the way to go. I'll look for waders and neoprene gloves. I will also try patching up my boots, gotta get as much as I can out of those Walmart rubber boots.

Bnell

Dec 19, 2012
Sopchoppy Fl
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also try a marine adhesive 3M 5200 for repairs. It takes a little experimenting with it but once cured its there. I thank it has the same flexable finish as what Kevin suggested. Put unused tube in the refrig until next time needed.

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ProPointer, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful of sweating, I usually tend to dress light but I know from experience that a sweat soaked under shirt or socks your body temp will drop quickly. and also beware of rocks that are slicken down with ice.. And depending on how far you go an extra set of clothes never hurts.

Thanks! Excellent point and something I forgot to mention. A lot of people think more is always better when dressing for the cold. This isn't so at all. You want to dress so you can be comfortable working at what ever level you anticipate. I usually dress to start out cold but that's because I usually have a bit of a hike with a heavy pack. If you are driving to your site with little walking you want to start out warm but then dress so you can delayer or better yet, ventilate (unzip) your outlayer. Hard to do in a wet suite. If you find yourself getting hot, it is worth taking off a layer (Yes, I know this is a huge PITA). rather than getting sweat soaked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread