Colonial 2 tine bone handle fork, Paste Cufflink and much more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out yesterday to do some more sifting and got my best bone handle fork yet :headbang: Unfortunately it was raining in the morning, so I dug iron targets for a few hours until it stopped raining and I could open up the pit. While digging iron nails, to my surprise, I unmasked the thimble, tombac button, flat button, pewter buckle... and totally randomly found a silver needle in the dirt. Its so small it hardly sets off the pinpointer. I'm not surprised these targets were masked at all... I'm surprised because I often dig nails and usually don't find nearly as many non-ferrous surprises. So I had luck on my side and decided to open a new pit section. The area I opened is an area I had been meaning to sift because it contains mostly Rose Head nails and very few square nails. In contrast, the section of the pit I've been sifting in the past, contains mostly square nails and a few Rose Heads.

The results from yesterday were an incredible 2 tine bone handle fork and a paste cufflink with a checkered silver background and a pewter frame with a drilled shank.... and.... a bunch of rose heads! Also countless pottery and earthenware shards. **The broken bone handle fork was from sifting on Sunday 4/17, along with the brass cufflink and CW Washington Arsenal Bullet. I didn't have much time last Sun, so I opened a small pit section and I didn't get enough to post, so I'm including those few items in this post.**

IMG_20160424_165749699.jpg

After 200+ years in the dirt, I gave it a 24 hour preservation transformation! Luckily I have found many iron artifacts with bone handles, so I have honed my preservation process on these sort of items. 1) as dug 2) cleaned with water 3) rubber band the bone and electrolysis overnight 4) Dried and glued broken bone piece and into a mineral oil bath to preserve the bone 5) complete!

IMG_20160424_105322558.jpg

This is one of my all time favorite relics now. Very pleased with how it turned out.

IMG_20160424_105753846.jpg

I got a lot of nice rose heads that I tumbled over night and hot waxed this morning. A nice thimble turned up and another slate pencil. Also that small brass piece with a point I believe is the tip to a bolo tie string.

IMG_20160424_165821050.jpg IMG_20160424_165918167.jpg
IMG_20160424_165926033.jpg IMG_20160424_165935706.jpg

I find lots of teeth in the pit and I usually keep them as long as they're not still in the jaw bone. Its a good cross section to what they were eating and I get lots of pigs teeth and tusks. But this tooth\claw is the BIGGEST one that I've ever seen. It has thin walls and is hallow, which makes me think its a claw to something! Also, that pipe bowl fragment has a horse or a deer on it. Too bad it wasnt complete.

IMG_20160424_170157146.jpg

And the cufflink streak continues. I think I've dug a cufflink in every hunt for the last 5 hunts. (if you count the King Louis button as a cufflink) Its weird how things like this happen and prior to all these links I would get a toasty one from time to time, but never anything as nice as these. The first pit section I opened yesterday contained not a single non-ferrous item, except for the lone pewter paste cufflink, face down in the hard clay bottom of the pit. Its gotten a bit comical for me at this point, but like the copper streak I was on over the winter, this fun is bound to end! (Brass link was from Sun 4/17)

IMG_20160424_170227430.jpg

I was emptying a plug of 5 square nails and I see this thing in the dirt. I couldn't believe it and it appears silver. The pinpinter hardly picks it up and had I not eyeballed it in the dirt, it would have been buried forever.

IMG_20160424_170323659.jpg

Evidently I tried to chop this really cool pewter buckle in half. I get very frustrated when I do that, especially to something this nice. Its flaky, so it got an elmers bath. Its small... knee buckle size, but I don't think that's what it is. Not sure what it was used for.

IMG_20160424_170341295.jpg

While swinging to clear out more nails yesterday, I came across this stirrup fragment. I really like when they're complete, but there's enough of this one left to get a spot in the case. Also a HUGE hand forged iron spike that turned up. Those made it into the electrolysis batch last night and turned out great.

IMG_20160424_170628365.jpg

That pile of nails are the square nails from yesterday. The rose heads were in the first picture. So when I dig nails... I chase them all over. The pottery came from the pit yesterday and were the more colorful pieces that turned up.

IMG_20160424_170659631.jpg IMG_20160424_170651074.jpg IMG_20160424_170646671.jpg

(As a side note, I separated all the nails from the three sifting trips prior to this one. In those three trips I excavated a 10x10 foot pit section and I removed 213 square nails and a couple rose heads. I tumble them all and throw them in storage boxes, but I had never counted to see about how many nails I was removing... just that I come home with a LOT of nails every trip. Something to think about next time you get into an iron patch!)

The Civil War bullet from the pit last Sun turned out to be a Washington Arsenal bullet. The first CW bullet I dug was a Washington Arsenal... and this one is my second.

IMG_20160424_170136605.jpg

These are some other utensils I've dug at this site. This isn't all of them, but as you guys can see I keep getting broken ones. However I was able to practice preserving them, so I knew just what to do when the one turned up yesterday.

IMG_20160421_115406265.jpg

If you made it this far, I'm sorry :laughing7: I know it was a long one, but I was really excited about this fork. Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 36

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Lots of history there, plus enough material to make several nice displays. I didn't realize those bone handled forks were so old. Cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of history there, plus enough material to make several nice displays. I didn't realize those bone handled forks were so old. Cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

Thanks wagbert! The number of tines is a better way of dating them. 2 tine forks are generally colonial, but could very well have been used\lost\produced into the early 1800's. Forks with 3 tines would have been more popular in the 1800's though. Most of the 3 tine forks I've found have\had wood handles at some point, but they were also made of bone as well.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are a rapidly advancing material archeologist, no mere detectorist. What you are doing, the care with which you do it, and the education you are providing to folks like me is really special. Thanks, genuinely.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt and post!!!!! You must be really happy with that spot. There is some guy in CO that has a shaker table (electric motor shakes it) mounted on a trailer. He has a little 4 wheeler scooper and does great at the old dumps. I would love to build one for around here. Sounds too easy:) Hand digging gets you more in touch with the history anyway! Great job restoring!!!!!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are a rapidly advancing material archeologist, no mere detectorist. What you are doing, the care with which you do it, and the education you are providing to folks like me is really special. Thanks, genuinely.

Thanks a ton Ken! I really appreciate comments like this. I tend to save things from this site that I would typically throw out at a typical site and the result is boxes and boxes, buckets and buckets of pottery, glass and iron. I've put so much time in here that some of the puzzle pieces have started to come together. I got out yesterday for a couple hours and sifted two pit sections which was a good dose of reality as the finds were very meager. The cufflink streak has ended! I did however find a bunch more glass shards to the Zachary Taylor presidential cannon flask from last Dec's post http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/486088-cannon-bottle-side-lc-buttons-etc.html I glued them together yesterday and it looks even cooler in the display now... so saving all this crap is sorta paying off. Its not enough to put a post together and I don't want to bump that old one, so here it is now. Maybe if I find the rest of it I'll do a post.

IMG_20160430_164954.jpg IMG_20160430_165448.jpg

Great hunt and post!!!!! You must be really happy with that spot. There is some guy in CO that has a shaker table (electric motor shakes it) mounted on a trailer. He has a little 4 wheeler scooper and does great at the old dumps. I would love to build one for around here. Sounds too easy:) Hand digging gets you more in touch with the history anyway! Great job restoring!!!!!

Thanks diggingthe1! I've thought about how I could sift more, faster, and it sounds like that guy figured it out. I progressed from a hand held back breaking sifter to one with legs. Its working much faster now. It's fun hand digging since part of the excitement is what I pick from the dirt I turn over before it even makes it into the sifter. Definitely more in touch with the history.

Jun 13, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I'm following your saga and really enjoying it.

Question: Is the huge spike you found a railroad spike? Or something else? We have one just like it. We're not sure where it came from. It's possible that it "came with" the ranch.

Curious
- Kristi

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! I'm following your saga and really enjoying it.

Question: Is the huge spike you found a railroad spike? Or something else? We have one just like it. We're not sure where it came from. It's possible that it "came with" the ranch.

Curious
- Kristi

Thanks Kristi! At this site I believe it was used in a house or barn... possibility to hold a large beam. It's much thinner than a railroad spike and appears hand forged.

Jun 13, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kristi! At this site I believe it was used in a house or barn... possibility to hold a large beam. It's much thinner than a railroad spike and appears hand forged.

Sorry! I just saw this. I'm still learning my way around here. I asked the hubby and he said he found our spike in the barn. It's the same width as yours so I'll rule RR spike. I was just curious when I saw you found one just like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread