🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After my incredible hunt yesterday I spent 6 hours back at my site today. I got a quick reminder that I'm still human and came down off my cloud. It was really tough going. I did manage a toasted copper, a bunch of buttons... one cast with a drilled shank, a CW Sharps Bullet, a few more shoe buckle fragments and the COOLEST bottle side I've ever seen... It has a Cannon on the side. I really wish it wasn't broken, and at some point I will sift this section and hopefully find some more to it.

IMG_20151223_212232618.jpg

Once again, I know nothing about bottles. It looks like it has some words embossed above the cannon. I havent tried to google this yet, so if anyone has any info on this bottle side that would be awesome.

IMG_20151223_165225608.jpg IMG_20151223_212254651.jpg IMG_20151223_212313155.jpg

The LC looks like its another 1817... not nearly as nice as the 1817 I dug a few days ago. Pretty nuts, but I've gotten 4 LCs this week... Gotta love time off work! The cast button with the drilled shank is missing a chunk off the side. Still, it was a nice surprise to see that when I was cleaning everything.

IMG_20151223_212245032.jpg IMG_20151223_212329387.jpg

Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas Everyone.

Upvote 14

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bunch of finds! Really cool bottle piece. I know nothing about bottles but anything with a cannon on it is a cool find in my opinion. Congrats and merry Christmas!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bunch of finds! Really cool bottle piece. I know nothing about bottles but anything with a cannon on it is a cool find in my opinion. Congrats and merry Christmas!

Thanks man! Yeah, I know nothing about them either, but I'm totally with ya... if it has a cannon in it, its pretty awesome. ha Merry Christmas to you too!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Liking the glass, looked for a bit online but no luck seeing anything close. Still you managed to scrape enough out of the site for a post up.
It's always the way it seems we have a great hunt, then the dreaming starts that we'll have another one and then the bubble pop, and we're grounded again till it happens all over again. :)
Keep digging and have a Great Christmas.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Liking the glass, looked for a bit online but no luck seeing anything close. Still you managed to scrape enough out of the site for a post up.
It's always the way it seems we have a great hunt, then the dreaming starts that we'll have another one and then the bubble pop, and we're grounded again till it happens all over again. :)
Keep digging and have a Great Christmas.

Thanks a ton Jim and well said. There is no better feeling after a good hunt while you're still dreaming before that bubble pops. It makes all the tough hunts totally work it. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you too.

Brad

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds Brad! Love the drilled shank button the most, I've yet to find one, I think they are very cool. Love the cannon bottle fragment as well, I wonder how old it is!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Brad!

Brad

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds Brad! Love the drilled shank button the most, I've yet to find one, I think they are very cool. Love the cannon bottle fragment as well, I wonder how old it is!

Thanks Isaac! I found a couple cast buttons with drilled shanks (this summer) that have a hand etched design on the front. Those are really cool.

I read that the pontil scar on the base was pretty much phased out by the mid to late 1860's. So It should be older than that. Its cool, you can see all the bubbles in the glass from when it was blown.

Great finds Brad!

Brad

Thanks Brad! It was a slow day with 90% of those finds coming in the last hour or so. I'm glad it picked up so I could have enough to share with everyone on here.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The base dates the bottle pre 1860 .From the shape of the base and the embossed canon iam going to say it is an historical flask of some sort . Given the embossed scene it should be easy to identify with some research. There are a number of books dedicated to flasks. What is a little interesting is that it appears to be clear glass.; not overly common in pontil era bottles. If it is aqua that would be a more common color. If you are on hut site ,privy or trash pit make sure you check it out thoroughly. That is the era where many collectable and sometimes valuable bottles were made and more may be buried somewhere.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. The base dates the bottle pre 1860 .From the shape of the base and the embossed canon iam going to say it is an historical flask of some sort . Given the embossed scene it should be easy to identify with some research. There are a number of books dedicated to flasks. What is a little interesting is that it appears to be clear glass.; not overly common in pontil era bottles. If it is aqua that would be a more common color. If you are on hut site ,privy or trash pit make sure you check it out thoroughly. That is the era where many collectable and sometimes valuable bottles were made and more may be buried somewhere.

Gaspipe, thanks a ton man. "Flask" was the keyword I was missing. Found it... GX-4 Cannon Grapes rich aqua My piece has "GEN" on it above the cannon. Looks like it would have some value if complete. This was in part of the pit I've been sifting. I will look for the rest of it another time.

Last edited:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gaspipe, thanks a ton man. "Flask" was the keyword I was missing. Found it... GX-4 Cannon Grapes rich aqua My piece has "GENL" on it above the cannon. Looks like it would have some value if complete. This was in part of the pit I've been sifting. I will look for the rest of it another time.

My pleasure , always fun to id a nice bottle. Keep at it sites like that are uncommon.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even cooler... I googled around for the text on the flask... It's from the Battle of Buena Vista during the Mexican American War in 1847. "Grape" is the cannister shot. Cool piece... already have a prime spot for it in a case.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Buena_Vista
"An artillery battery under Braxton Bragg then arrived with orders to "maintain the position at all costs".[1]:216 Taylor rode over to Cap. Bragg, and after a brief conversation in which Bragg replied he was using single canister shot, Taylor ordered "double-shot your guns and give 'em hell, Bragg".[1]:216 Later this order, although misquoted as "give them a little more grape, Captain Bragg", would be used as a campaign slogan which carried Taylor into the White House. Pérez's attack was repulsed and the fighting ended as heavy rain fell over the field.”

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You seem to find a lot of great stuff. Keep up the good work. HH

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds and great research on that glass.
When I first read GRAPE,, I'm thinking wine.
Put the word "Grapeshot" together with the cannon and it all makes sense. Duhhh
Well done guys and Merry Christmas.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done again. Nice set of finds. I like the cannon bottle!

Merry Christmas!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So glad you got an ID on your cannon bottle and next time I hope you find an intact one. Keep on digging that site,looks promising,

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad - that cannonball bottle frag is very unique and one I haven't seen before. Let's hope the rest of it is still waiting in the ground to be sifted. That would be an awesome reconstruction if you can find most of the pieces. Good luck!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That frag is so cool, i was at a show last weekend. And a dealer there had some Eagle flasks there that were so cool.
I like you're more.
Hope you can get the rest!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread