Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan and I recovered this interesting relic along with a number of other iron artifacts when digging a 1700s pit a couple weekends ago. Even though it was first thought to be a shackle, it was confirmed in Hume's book that it was indeed an 18th century barrel padlock (see item #1 in the pic), and is one of 4 padlocks found in this pit so far. It was extremely encrusted when initially recovered, and it spent almost 2 weeks in the electrolysis tank at high amperage before I had to finally take it out for fear of removing too much of the base metal in spots. We also found what we think might be the key that fits this lock which would be pretty cool. It's shown in the pics below both adjacent to and inserted into the lock. The lock releases on the right and the hinge is on the left. We also have a number of other interesting iron artifacts that came from this pit that still need to be cleaned up. To help with that I just finished putting together a new setup that will allow for cleaning of multiple items at one time. But I have a feeling it will take much longer than usual due to the current being split multiple ways. Will be an interesting experiment anyway.

Attachments

• barrel lock.jpg
    barrel lock.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 159
  • barrel lock1.JPG
    barrel lock1.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 160
  • barrel lock2.JPG
    barrel lock2.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 168
  • barrel lock4.JPG
    barrel lock4.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 11

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is awesome!!!Reminds me of the Chinese locks.Thanks for sharing that Bill,and great preservation!

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To help with that I just finished putting together a new setup that will allow for cleaning of multiple items at one time. But I have a feeling it will take much longer than usual due to the current being split multiple ways. Will be an interesting experiment anyway.

Not necessarily. A circuit only draws as much power as it needs to function within the limits of the power supply. For instance, if you have a circuit that draws 10V from a source that supplies 150V, you could attach up to 14 other similar circuits directly to the 150V without limiting their capability. However, if you exceed the source's capability, the circuit will of course not function properly; for instance, if you supplied a 10V circuit with a 5V source. Daisy-chaining circuits can reduce their effectiveness due to the voltage divider rule that you're suspicious of, so you should link each part of your setup directly to the original power supply, which I assume to be the wall (which outputs 110Vac or 220Vac depending on your wiring).

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find Bill:thumbsup:

Interesting i never seen or heard of one before..

Blaze

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a lock like that before, Bill. What a cool relic to find. Thanks for the education!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet !!! Congrats !! Never seen one

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very interesting lock Bill. I love finding items that speak to the way people use to live and the items that they used. Great find and it's nice to see you and your buddy Dan are at it again.
Good luck this season,
ZDD

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a great find! Would love to dig one of those!!!

Congrats,

Buck

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Bill! Question for you - what process do you use to seal? Do you heat iron pieces up to remove any remaining moisture? What did you seal this piece with? Thanks.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, that is one sweet relic! Nice save of history and a great addition to your collection..

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a colonial find you don't see everyday!.... a museum piece for sure... congrats

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very cool, WTG!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great save on the lock Bill, and thanks for the posting up on the history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions