Colonial bonanza and fairly out of place Colonial Coin from worlds away!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yesterday we went back to the site that Bill D and I have been having plenty of luck at with colonial silver and other finds. It did not disappoint on this day either. This time I invited Aquachigger to make the drive down south and check it out with us. (I will not steal his thunder, but boy did he have a heck of a trip...including a little side stop at one of my local sites on Friday while I was wasting away in the office.

Anyways, to the relics! I dug a TON of targets and had a blast. I ended up with 36 buttons, mostly all from the 1700s, some early 1800s (one was a script early US military button, but can hardly make out the detail). One of the buttons is a neat "Fleur de Lis" button, though mostly broken. Some of these are attributed to early French and Spanish military buttons, who knows. Also dug plenty or brass buckles, including a complete (though in 3 pieces) early shoe buckle. What was the best find of the day for me was actually something that I did not even have any thoughts about - Chinese Copper. When I dug it, I immediately figured WWII era or perhaps a little earlier...well to my astonishment when I got it home and looked it up none of the 20th century ones matched. There was a close one that dated to the late 1800s, and I had almost just agreed that it was so similar that it must be that era. THEN I stumbled onto the actual coin with the ID. It is a 1796-1820 Qing Dynasty during the reign of Emperor Jen (Ren) Tsung. Now this site has produced plenty of early coins from the old world...but this one has me in disbelief. They don't seem to be too rare, but I doubt I will ever dig one again, making me very happy.

I also managed another colonial matrix seal, early rosette, plenty of lead and other brass, and a tiny little thimble. Bill D also did fairly well, but again will let him post his. All in all, I did not grab any silver this time or a killer military button, but in the end, I am actually very happy with my little copper from the orient!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• SC011913a.jpg
    SC011913a.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 266
  • SC011913b.jpg
    SC011913b.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 269
  • SC011913c.jpg
    SC011913c.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 252
  • SC011913d.jpg
    SC011913d.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 258
  • SC011913e.jpg
    SC011913e.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 8

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice pile of stuff again Dan. A great time was had by all yesterday in spite of the fact that neither of us swung our coil over an old coin. But there were plenty of early finds to be made. I just cleaned my stuff and you got me by one button. I think we're both over 100 in that department now from this site. I'll post my stuff later this afternoon. It was a load of fun to get to meet and hunt with Aquachigger, and he definitely took us to the cleaners with the weekend he had. Can't wait to see his post. It appears this site is not yet ready to turn off the steady stream of relics and coins it's been giving up, and I know we're both looking forward to getting back there soon and to try and fill our pouches again. Congrats again to you on another awesome hunt.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pile of stuff again Dan. A great time was had by all yesterday in spite of the fact that neither of us swung our coil over an old coin. But there were plenty of early finds to be made. I just cleaned my stuff and you got me by one button. I think we're both over 100 in that department now from this site. I'll post my stuff later this afternoon. It was a load of fun to get to meet and hunt with Aquachigger, and he definitely took us to the cleaners with the weekend he had. Can't wait to see his post. It appears this site is not yet ready to turn off the steady stream of relics and coins it's been giving up, and I know we're both looking forward to getting back there soon and to try and fill our pouches again. Congrats again to you on another awesome hunt.

ha ha, hey now...I dug an old coin, just did not know it until I got home. You were right when you said "some of those are quite old."

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the colonial stuff and that is a colonial house cleaning! My Favorite era.:thumbsup:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seems that the place was a battlefield almost certainly. ...some buckles could be 19th century early Spanish

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems that the place was a battlefield almost certainly. ...some buckles could be 19th century early Spanish

Hey Hispan,
was not a battlefield...just an old early homested and farm. Had a lot of traffic moving through it though. That old county road today was back then a highway.

Dan

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt, sounds like a great spot! HH

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Looks like a nice tankard lid there. The rest goes without saying. :thumbsup:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THATS A BUSY DAY---:thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff! You know, the item I think you're calling a rosette may not be one (bottom right photo, with the spoons?). It looks like it has a brass piece sticking out of it. If it does, I think it's a Georgian-Era ale jug lid. Could I see a photo of the back, and a profile, or side angle shot?

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff! You know, the item I think you're calling a rosette may not be one (bottom right photo, with the spoons?). It looks like it has a brass piece sticking out of it. If it does, I think it's a Georgian-Era ale jug lid. Could I see a photo of the back, and a profile, or side angle shot?

Hey man, I had someone else PM me with the same thought. It is indeed a rosette "harness boss." It is just broken and missing the other loop. I have dug several smaller ones at sites of this period, but this one was indeed a large one. Here is a similar one from the UKFD site.

UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

I wish it were the other...I have only been able to dig small pieces of early steins over the years.

HH

Dan

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man now that is one great spot you have there HGD, what a nice bunch of relics. I see a button (last pic, lower RH side) that is most likely French or Spanish military. 18th cent.
Mission
France Page

Again, what a fantastic site you have and I can't wait to see what you find next.
If you can could you post a pic of that button by itself.
Thanks matey,
ZDD

Here is a pic of my French button.

Attachments

• 1700-1740 French Marine Button Front.jpg
    1700-1740 French Marine Button Front.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 1700-1740 French Marine Button shank.jpg
    1700-1740 French Marine Button shank.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Zodiac, thanks for the comments. Will try and grab a close up picture of it tonight or tomorrow. I don't believe that one is a French Marine, though at first glance I admit I did, once I looked at the shank and saw that it was more of the wired soldered attached rather than drilled I figured just a civilian dandy. We have found some earlier ones that are broken that I think might be french marines.

Dan

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the hunt Dan. You really did clean up on the buttons and have some wonderful finds. Can't wait until the next one. Looks like the ground is a freezing up here :)

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You three really had one heck of a hunt didn't you. That is beyond comprehension, you must be sore from all that digging, but I am sure it is a good sore. I just put in a banner vote for Aquachigger on his outstanding finds.
Killer man,Killer
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread