Colonial Buckle (Complete) + Nice NB Cent (live dig)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out yesterday solo for a couple of hours.
Found a nice IMO old buckle, I'm going to guess age at about 1600's to 1720, anyone ?
I like it because of it being complete, the tongue is cast brass like the frame.
And a nice condition New Brunswick 1 Cent, wish they all came out so good, caught it on a live dig which is a bit of a bonus.

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

The video is short at about a minute and a half, so you won't get bored.

Upvote 15

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great looking buckle there! My guess is 17th C too. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen that type of buckle, other than Medieval versions. The off-centre bar is interesting & the tooling on the pin. Must be at least early 1700s.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow that's fabulous!!! I don't know too much about early buckles but the round ones, like Cru said, were medieval. Here's something that's perhaps similar.

https://finds.org.uk/database/images/image/id/154885

Is where you're digging know to have early Viking activity or similar?

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice couple of finds there Rick. That buckle is definitely an oldie. According to my reference book, it's called a "cast copper-alloy double loop annular buckle", dates between 1350 and 1650, and likely was fitted to the end of a strap. Nice complete specimen too!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great old buckle buddy! And that copper is one of the prettiest I've seen. That buckle is early

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know too much about early buckles but the round ones, like Cru said, are medieval. Here's something that's perhaps similar.

https://finds.org.uk/database/images/image/id/154885

Is where you're digging know to have had Viking activity?

Pretty much exactly like the one in your link, only slightly smaller, at 34-35 mm.
Vikings were in Newfoundland, but not proven to be in this province, I did read a couple articles that "suspects" they were in Nova Scotia. See if I can find it......

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much exactly like the one in your link, only slightly smaller, at 34-35 mm.
Vikings were in Newfoundland, but not proven to be in this province, I did read a couple articles that "suspects" they were in Nova Scotia. See if I can find it......

If anyone rewrite's Nova Scotia history it will probably be you Rick. Haha
Great find and that NB one cent did come out great! [emoji106]

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice couple of finds there Rick. That buckle is definitely an oldie. According to my reference book, it's called a "cast copper-alloy double loop annular buckle", dates between 1350 and 1650, and likely was fitted to the end of a strap. Nice complete specimen too!

That fits the 1600-1700 time frame very nicely. Very unlikely has anything to do with Vikings as the time frame is way off--the Viking age (ca. 1000 AD) doesn't overlap with the low end of the estimated 1350-1650 AD.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

It's a funny thing when you try and date things. Records and suspicions only make an dotted outline. The Basque were also some early visitors...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Basque_whaling

They did a lot of whaling up there and Cod fishing. I first learned of this through the book "Cod". Anyway, the Basque were across the channel from England and very well could have worn buckles from there. Just a thought.

Steve

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a pretty copper, and that buckle sounds like it might turn out to be VERY interesting. Good job man

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking buckle and copper, win-win day out for you.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That copper is perfect,would love to dig something that old. The little buckle is very nice too.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great finds.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! That Vickie penny is a honey bunny ! Awesome coin (I got one ...but I had to buy mine ) Love the buckle too !

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad that NB is not the half cent! I imagine I'm wrong, but sort of think I have one mixed in with my coppers from many years ago.

Ironhorse and I dig our share of buckles, no doubt about that, but they are never old and interesting. It really doesn't seem to jive with how many coppers and buttons we find.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad that NB is not the half cent! I imagine I'm wrong, but sort of think I have one mixed in with my coppers from many years ago.

Ironhorse and I dig our share of buckles, no doubt about that, but they are never old and interesting. It really doesn't seem to jive with how many coppers and buttons we find.

Yeah the half cent in decent condition would be a nice find surprise. With as many NS pieces I got figure I may have come across the '62, but that hasn't happened yet either.

I also don't get many buckles perhaps a half dozen, I'll put them together for a group shot (for the heeck of it) and not a single complete shoe buckle yet, while Abe got a dozen in a year.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the half cent in decent condition would be a nice find surprise. With as many NS pieces I got figure I may have come across the '62, but that hasn't happened yet either.

I also don't get many buckles perhaps a half dozen, I'll put them together for a group shot (for the heeck of it) and not a single complete shoe buckle yet, while Abe got a dozen in a year.

Two things I always think we should find more of.... early buckles and gun parts... oh, a 3rd... belt plates!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread