colonial coin pocket spill

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
well upon request from a few good people i decided to post a colonial copper coin spill i found two saturdays ago . this was found at a cellar site that been detected many time by others and was my second time there .

anyway after a several hours at another spot my buddy and i decided to hit one more site before calling it quits for the day . i hinted at this place as it had alot of area and we were only there one other time and it was very close by.

pocketspillsite.jpg

it was a big center chimney colonial and we found a few buttons last time , well we split up and i was detecting basically alone for about an hour and a half. i started working an area slowly when i got a great high coin sounding target at around 6 inches i was really thinking a nice silver piece and out popped this

3coppersinhand.jpg

i was very excited to see these , but by their dark color i just knew there was morein the hole

6coppersinhand.jpg

three more coppers proved me right , wow now i was really floored .
unable to see what they were because of the thick corrosion but they were large coins and i just assumed they were matron head type large cents. later i found out i was wrong and learned that they were a King George III copper , a New Jersey copper and 4 fugio pennies . a real colonial coin spill and my largest multiple coppers in one hole .

heres what they looked like when they got home

6alluncleaned.jpg

the next job was trying to i.d. the varieties and then tackling the job of cleaning them. well after almost two weeks they are nearly there .

heres a some pictures of them individually
the 1774 King George III
1774machinmillsfront1.jpg

1774machinmillsreverse1.jpg

the 1788 New Jersey copper
newjerseyfront1.jpg

newjerseyreverse1.jpg

a clubed ray fugio
fugioclubrayobverse1.jpg

another fugio
newman9varietyfugiofront1.jpg

third fugio
unknownvarietyfugiofront1.jpg

last fugio
fugiowithflawedplanchetobverse1.jpg

if any one can tell the varieties as i'm a little confused on two of the fugios it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks all for the nice comments on the other forums .

Dan

Attachments

• 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,992
  • 6 all uncleaned.JPG
    6 all uncleaned.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,914
  • 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,937
Upvote 34
OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
Iron Patch said:
Fingers will be crossed, just seen the 13-N is a rarity 7! Your coin is actually pretty good condition for dug so it would no doubt have some value.

This has absolutely nothing to do with our discussion on the IDs but have a look. :tongue3:

http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/171972

wow a new die variety :o :o well i can wish huh :laughing9: :laughing9:

wheres Don and Hogge we need a second and third opinion on this newman 13-? fugio :laughing9: :laughing9:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leddel said:
Iron Patch said:
Fingers will be crossed, just seen the 13-N is a rarity 7! Your coin is actually pretty good condition for dug so it would no doubt have some value.

This has absolutely nothing to do with our discussion on the IDs but have a look. :tongue3:

wheres Don and Hogge we need a second and third opinion on this newman 13-? fugio :laughing9: :laughing9:

I'd be very interested to hear what the differences are in the book between the two because they are so damn close. Just shows you why so many dug Colonial coppers are impossible to ID. Fairly often I talk to a pretty serious Colonial coin dealer who's knowledge is fairly well rounded so if you want I can send it to him. I'm sure he knows all about the Fugio. Or if the other two guys happen to come back to lend a hand :laughing7: they can post it at the C-4 and get an answer pretty quick.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
What a heart pumping find! Those coins are in great condition to be dug, what a great find! HH

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
Iron Patch said:
leddel said:
Iron Patch said:

I'd be very interested to hear what the differences are in the book between the two because they are so damn close. Just shows you why so many dug Colonial coppers are impossible to ID. Fairly often I talk to a pretty serious Colonial coin dealer who's knowledge is fairly well rounded so if you want I can send it to him. I'm sure he knows all about the Fugio. Or if the other two guys happen to come back to lend a hand :laughing7: they can post it at the C-4 and get an answer pretty quick.

sure if it ain't to much trouble Patch , i'd be interested to hear what you coin dealer says about it or any of them for that matter.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALRIGHTYYYYY THEN! Looked at these things for about 2+ hours..................Driving me NUTS! Coin#1 is a 4-E.........Coin#2 is a 15-Y. Kept going back to 15-K but just didn't look right on the reverse to be it. Coin# 3 I believe is a 13-X. Although these are EXTREMELY close, the "O" in ONE is different. Also the "E" in WE shows more, and is slightly tipped different than the 13-N. I do not have an obverse pic of the 13-N. This would be the tell in difference. 99% sure it will be a 13-X. Coin#4 will have to wait. THESE FUGIOS ARE A NIGHTMARE TO ID! Given the fact I cannot find pics of some. I think IP did VERY WELL....No Excellent! :headbang: :hello2: :hello: :read2 I'm by far no expert, but I do have a good eye.......my one good eye anyways :icon_cyclops_ani: Hogge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
I do not have an obverse pic of the 13-N. This would be the tell in difference.

Irrelevant, is the same obverse die as 13-X. So they are even closer than you thought.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I am revisiting again, and wondering why this hasn't made banner yet. Thanks everyone for the educational lessons on fugio types: way too much information for someone who's unlikely to ever find a real one out West, but totally fascinating.

Still hoping one or more of these are truly rare varities. Maybe they need to be sent in for authentication?

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good coins ...congrats! :thumbsup:
H

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not asked any of the Fugio experts I know, but just comparing the 3 reverses, I would have to say the N reverse is a match and the obverse is not a 16 so it should be a 13-N variety, but Fugio's are not my cup of tea for IDing, but sure looks like a match to me. I did put Dan's coin in one photo sandwiched between a N and a X sample for others to compare.

Don

The find should be banner but the vast majority of the photos are from photobucket which does not qualify for banner, one photo is not but I believe a nice squared photo of the finds both dirty and cleaned would possibly do the trick. But regardless, it is a banner find in my mind.

Attachments

• FugioNandDanandXcompare.jpg
    FugioNandDanandXcompare.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 470

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
I have not asked any of the Fugio experts I know, but just comparing the 3 reverses, I would have to say the N reverse is a match and the obverse is not a 16 so it should be a 13-N variety, but Fugio's are not my cup of tea for IDing, but sure looks like a match to me. I did put Dan's coin in one photo sandwiched between a N and a X sample for others to compare.

Don

The find should be banner but the vast majority of the photos are from photobucket which does not qualify for banner, one photo is not but I believe a nice squared photo of the finds both dirty and cleaned would possibly do the trick. But regardless, it is a banner find in my mind.

Don that gives a good view of why I think it's 13-N. When you look at the base of the T in STATES it's quite flush with the O in ONE on the 13-X, but that doesn't appear to be the case for the other two.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I look, I see the 13-N reverse as a match. But....The "O" in ONE looks more tipped to the right as in 13-X, although it is higher in the 13-x. Could this be from a worn die ,or just wear? :dontknow: This was a big difference I saw. The 3 pics side by side help alot, instead of going back and forth between pages.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15k. The slant in the E is probably an apparency; in a different pic it may look straighter. PS - i have never id'd any questionable coin, but that's my 2 cents worth.

oh, yeah...banner!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scaupus said:
15k. The slant in the E is probably an apparency; in a different pic it may look straighter. PS - i have never id'd any questionable coin, but that's my 2 cents worth.

oh, yeah...banner!

I abandoned that as inconclusive and went with the location of the two As to rule out the 15-K.

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
Don in SJ said:

Don

thanks Don for the side by side pictures , hey why is there so little info on the 13-N . they don't even give a rariety on coin facts and virtually no idea on a value. i did put a couple of regular photos on the first post s hopefully now it can be apart of the banner .

Dan

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leddel said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

thanks Don for the side by side pictures , hey why is there so little info on the 13-N . they don't even give a rariety on coin facts and virtually no idea on a value. i did put a couple of regular photos on the first post s hopefully now it can be apart of the banner .

Dan

The Whitman book gives it a URS rating, but I looked at C4 auction catalogs and the last 13-N I saw was listed as a R7 as CC stated. The one in the catalog was holed and counterstamped, don't have the going price available at this time for that particular one. It was in 2009 I believe, so rather recent.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
If this isn't made a banner then there is something wrong with the banner determination process in my humble opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread