Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Diggin' Nets More Black Glass, Pottery And Mystery Cut Silver

Got out again yesterday with Bill D. to dig and sift a few more holes in hopes to find some colonial wine bottle seals or maybe a whole onion or mallet bottle. Didn't quite pan out that way but we did find more bottle bases, spouts, pottery and a few pipe stems. We also broke out the detectors for another spin around the fields and produced the usual colonial brass pieces, tacks and other mess. I did score a cut piece of silver but I can't identify it. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

bottles1.jpg cork_wire.jpg fleur-de-lis.jpg
brass1.jpg misc-brass-lead.jpg tacks.jpg
mystary-cut-silver1.jpg mystary-cut-silver2.jpg

Upvote 14

shedseeker

Oct 28, 2012
ny
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster GT , Garrett ace 250 , Garrett AT PRO
Garrett AT pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice junk you found !!! thats what most would say that do not do or know about our hobby !! that is awesome !!! keep at it !! got to be more goodies around... HH

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
Strikingly early glass there, back to mid 1700's or so.

That's right gleaner. This early site is laden with early globular and the square case or "dutch gin" bottle pieces which Bill D dug a base of yesterday.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
760225d1363467929-colonial-diggin-nets-more-black-glass-pottery-mystery-cut-silver-cork_wire.jpg

Hey Joey,

Excellent photo of some great 18th Century shardage, sir! Thanks for showing us.

How was the glass distributed when you came upon it? I've never had the privilege to dig for that age of glass, as of yet.

"Please, sir – I want some more."

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Joey. I've always loved the early onion bottles. Even pieces ot them, bases and spouts excite me! Never dug a whole one either. Congratulations to you and Dan! Devonrex

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Can't help with the coin. Maybe some letters or numbers or close ups of the coin can help.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Joey,

Excellent photo of some great 18th Century shardage, sir! Thanks for showing us.

How was the glass distributed when you came upon it? I've never had the privilege to dig for that age of glass, as of yet.
Which was common in those times, the bottles, pottery and other "trash" was just discarded on a hillside adjacent to where the house sat so there is no rhyme or reason to the distribution of it. The area is very large and we really just scratched the surface. We also may have found a more promising trash pit on the other side of the property so hopefully a whole bottle is in our future.
Nice finds Joey. I've always loved the early onion bottles. Even pieces ot them, bases and spouts excite me! Never dug a whole one either. Congratulations to you and Dan! Devonrex
It was actually Bill D who I was out with yesterday. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Dan yet but I hear only great things about him from Bill. From the sites you detect you have a better chance than most to locate a great trash pit and find a whole bottle....if you can find time away from finding spectacular Rev War buttons!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice close-up pics of stupendous early broken bottles seen only very rarely. Keep looking for the trash pit proper, you could theoretically find a stupendous bottle pit in that area.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs Joey:icon_thumleft:

Those are some early bottles..

Love the cut silver we dont find them up this way..

Blaze

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really nice items for sure. 2 questions, Have you looked for the privie spots yet? And second question; are you by a lake, river or ocean?
I can't wait to see what you bring up next.
ZDD

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The large brass piecev that should have two or more hooks onn the back is an 18th C Horse bridal decoration.

The silver, is not British & doesn't look Spanish. To me it looks French or maybe Belgium/Holland. Try these avenues.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyblaze said:
Nice digs Joey:icon_thumleft:

Those are some early bottles..

Love the cut silver we dont find them up this way..

Blaze

Thanks JB. My brother in law lives up in Quincy mass and he's found very few cut silver pieces in his 15+ years of detecting but he says they're there. The northerners were more trusting of their crap copper coins :)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a great time again Joey. We didn't kill it with our detectors, but at least you got a nice little piece of silver. I haven't had a chance to try and help with the ID yet as I've been tied up as you know. Let me know if you're still trying to figure it out, and if so, I'll do a little looking around. Thanks again for the invite, and let me know when you want to hit that deep pit we found just before quitting time. That one has the potential to be a good one.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Joey! Love the crude lips on those old black glss bottles. Congrats on the cut silver.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Joey, nice coin for sure. Trying to remember where I have seen that one before...will get back to you.

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread