Colonial Goodies and the reconstruction of a long lost site!!! I am an arteest!!!!!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill and I got out today for a nice little foray into a new site for me (return visit for Bill). This was a nice little colonial site that Bill got in last season and the peanuts had been plucked so off we went.

It has been dug hard and while there were finds still to be made, the true find was the site itself.

Not to bore you with an overwhelming amount of text, my finds for the day were 15 buttons (and pieces). A few nice buckle parts, and a silver colonial thimble (my favorite metal artifact/find of the day) and an odd 1907 IH penny (not sure how it got there).

On to the true story. About three hours in, I had spent considerable time looking to locate a pit or two when finally I went back to surface hunting. Bill calls over "I think I found a foundation" and a foundation feature it was. We had left the probe in the truck, a considerable distance away so decided to surface hunt some more before fetching it. Once retrieved, we got to work, first probing one wall, and then another, until we found the first corner. We methodically dug test holes every few feet and marked others where we knew we had hit the foundation with the probe. The site began to line up. My intent was to try and locate the fire box and to dig out a corner or two as I have had luck in the past doing that.

In total it took over 2 hours, but we managed to mark off a near perfect 16'x30' foundation. This site dates likely to the late 1700's and the size and design of the feature also spoke to the same. About 20' to the N of the site I eyeballed several large pieces of burnt brick on the surface so I figured the fire box/chimney would likely be on that side as the brick I found were likely from the fallen chimney, scorned from years of use. We did manage to dig out the corners on the N side (Bill took some great pictures) and in the NW corner we found considerable ash and burnt wood. First thinking the house might have been burned (brick was burned as well) that changed when we dug the NE corner and saw very little ash and brick and no burnt wood. I suspect the chimney was closer to the NW corner if not directly at it.

Not knowing if the farmer and/or owner would allow such a project, we marked it off and filled it in. Hopefully we will get back one day and really move some dirt as I believe the site warrants such an exploration. Still, very cool and while the thimble was as I said "my favorite metal/artifact" this site certainly was my favorite find (Bill technically found it ha ha).

The coin contest is still 1-0 as no colonial silver coins were dug...I was sure my silver thimble was going to be one.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    719.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    370.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    614.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    549.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    367.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 1j.jpg
    1j.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 1i.jpg
    1i.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 1h.jpg
    1h.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 132
  • 1g.jpg
    1g.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 1k.jpg
    1k.jpg
    761.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 1l.jpg
    1l.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 141
  • 1m.jpg
    1m.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    632.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Upvote 15

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoa, cool graphics Dan! I enjoyed the in depth investigation and it seems like you guys found a good project for the future. Great assortment of buttons and relics. You fellas have some beautiful country down there in Virginia and I hope to get back there someday. Cheers

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at you two playing archaeologists, how cute haha. Just kidding, I love that stuff and the renderings are really cool. Surface hunting is good but the good stuff is down deep.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post and summary of our little adventure. We need to do more of this as we've certainly found our fair share of early foundations over the last few years. Even though we didn't make any additional finds in or around the foundation, it was still a really cool and worthwhile effort to solve the mystery of the home's exact location. And I'm sure the owner whose descendants lived here will be excited to see what we uncovered. By the way, I think you had a typo in your post as I think we measured the foundation at 30 x 16, which is certainly typical for a home from this period.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and summary of our little adventure. We need to do more of this as we've certainly found our fair share of early foundations over the last few years. Even though we didn't make any additional finds in or around the foundation, it was still a really cool and worthwhile effort to solve the mystery of the home's exact location. And I'm sure the owner whose descendants lived here will be excited to see what we uncovered. By the way, I think you had a typo in your post as I think we measured the foundation at 30 x 16, which is certainly typical for a home from this period.

Yea, I know of two sites already that would be interesting to do this at...and thanks for the typo catch...made the fix.

Had fun as always man, and I do think if we dug that out more we would find some items...that use layer looked too good.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really cool post up Dan, looks like a great project if the permission to dig comes up.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea, I know of two sites already that would be interesting to do this at...and thanks for the typo catch...made the fix.

Had fun as always man, and I do think if we dug that out more we would find some items...that use layer looked too good.

Yeah, and maybe one day it'll lead to the discovery of a cellar. I've always wanted to dig one of those out, and even though it would be a mammoth job, you know what might be hiding in one of its corners .....

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post, finds and investigation. Enjoyed seeing the line drawings, we'll done. ;-)

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice post…I am impressed with the detail and time put in your post…thank you so much for sharing! keep us posted

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan - Good to see you and Bill out in the fields. I've read that the builder's trench around an old foundation can yield a rich assortment of finds. I experienced that myself at one site, but I've since searched a few other cellar holes (digging and sifting). I haven't been able to duplicate my initial success. Good luck on your next outing.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool Dan. I recognized the pattern of that buckle piece in your 4th image. I found mine at a colonial site here in the Shenandoah Valley earlier this year. See:

colonial trio.jpg

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Dan. I recognized the pattern of that buckle piece in your 4th image. I found mine at a colonial site here in the Shenandoah Valley earlier this year. See:

View attachment 1228157
thanks man. If you are finding those you are in the right spot. That style if fairly typical of late 1700's shoe buckles

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting and exciting read. You two may have missed your calling - perhaps archaeology is in your futures. Uncovering early American history has always fascinated me. Hope to see more from this adventure again.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's neat, Dan! Great post! Thanks for sharing that!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool work, and nice buttons man.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
I must say that you and Bill put alot of effort into your hunts....It's a lot of research just finding the older sites....And you guys take it a step further by learning the layout of the land...but it pays off in a big way...awesome buttons and love the silver thimble...congrats

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, and maybe one day it'll lead to the discovery of a cellar. I've always wanted to dig one of those out, and even though it would be a mammoth job, you know what might be hiding in one of its corners .....

Bottles!!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mmmmmm bottles.....mmmmm ha ha. Or coins and broken bottles work too. Honestly I recovered some of my nicest colonial glass and ceramics from the corner of a foundation and my best pipe bowl and artifact pit was in and around a firebox of a site (bill that one still could be probed as I never dug anymore of it than what we did ... Return visit) let's do it this year for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions