COLONIAL(?) ID HELP PLEASE

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Guys,

I bought this coin today at a flea market auction. It was among a handful of old foreign coins and a few Buffalo nickles and wheaties. I won the auction for $5.00.
From what I can perceive the obverse has a bust facing right. I think I see the nose.
The reverse has a person seated on what looks like a globe and there is a spear(?) which angles down between the seated person and the globe. The date appears to be XX98 or possibly XX99. There seems to be quite a gap between the numbers. I'm assuming that XX = 17. There is also an arc between the seated person and the date.
It weighs 11.4 grams and it's the same size as a modern half dollar.
I have researched the '09 Red Book and seen a couple of colonial types with a similar seated figures on a globe but (in my eyes) am unable to nail it down.
I have not cleaned it.
Is there a possibility that it may not be an American coin?
Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pete

Attachments

• COLONIAL.JPG
    COLONIAL.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 283

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1799 Great Britain penny. That is George III on the obverse and Britannia on the reverse.

OP
OP
Yeasty

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Thanks I.c! You nailed it!
With your information I found a picture of one in MS63 condition on EBay. The BIN price is $750 which should make mine worth about a buck, if I'm lucky. :D
Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread