Colonial Plethora *Update 332 year old Copper!

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Made it out today with Mom and Arty to one of our coveted colonial fields that has given over 100 buttons and a number of colonial US and British coins. It started off with a bang with Arty's first signal being a barber dime. I headed to my usual spot where I found most of my buttons and coins and proceded to pick away with my sensitivity almost maxed out on the T2. Pulled up a number of buttons and then a copper reading from my T2. Thinking this could not be because I have scoured this area many times. Well low and behold a nice green disc appears. I am not sure what it is still, bust facing right cannot make out any of the back. But I think its some sort of George. I found a few cufflinks also. One of them completed the I needed. I found its mate november of 2010. One of the last good targets of the day was an unexpected KGII. We hunted for a LONG time today and had a blast. I need some Id'ing on a few of my button finds. First it the Script D button pictured. The second is the Conductor button. Arty found the matching twin of the conductor button along with some other nice finds that he will post up later. Also the bust right copper has me stumped. Mom didn't fare as well, only finding a few buttons and a clay pipe stem. Theres always next time! Over all a good day that got a little chilly.Thanks for looking.
P1070628.jpg

P1070626.jpg

P1070627.jpg

P1080631.jpg

P1080632.jpg

P1080633.jpg

P1080636.jpg

P1080634.jpg

P1080634.jpg

P1080635.jpg

P1080637.jpg

P1080629.jpg

Upvote 0

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Colonial Plethora

Thanks for the great day hunting with you and your Mom. Had a great time. Hope that coin ID's out to be your oldest. The buttons and cuffs are sweet... Arty

garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Super Nice!!!! :icon_thumleft:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The word Plethora may confuse many of us that post here.
Smaller, easier to digest words, that's the ticket!
What is the bent token read as?
Excellent day of hunting,
Carl

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT

Nice finds, looks like a nice spot. Been wanting to night hunt.

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow 1680s?! That would make for a good start to my year. And my oldest coin yet. Thanks for the replies. Any info on the script D? Looks mid 19th century. Thanks again.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice finds Jim,

It looks like the colonials were flowing in our area. Mark dug a bunch, and Dale and I got out and dug a couple as well, although mine is not post worthy!

Take care!

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007

Wow, your coin maybe from the 1600's :blob7:. That will be hard for me to top that one:) Just a little Mother, Son competition:) Congrats to Jim and you to Artie. They were both on fire. I didn't stand a chance. I kept getting burned by the flames of their lust for the older coins:) Seriously, we had a blast and hope that it continues to produce in the future. I didn't realize that I created a relic hunting monster! The fruit doesn't fall to far from the tree. Artie, I know that you had fun. You had that smile on your face all day long. You were loving every minute of it! Can't wait to get back out again!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats Jim on another good hunt, shame Mom did not equal your finds, but she has had her days of glory in the past. ;D

Your copper is without a doubt a 1600s copper and I had to do a side by side comparison and fairly certain your copper is a 1680-84 Charles II Irish Halfpenny. I put an example of one on the left, yours in the center and a 1696 William III Irish Halfpenny on the right. I see more similarities to the Charles II than the William, but judge for yourself or maybe someone else will confirm or deny. I guess you cannot make out anything on the reverse side, so just going by what can be seen in the photo........

Don

Attachments

• 1600s Jim Copper compare.jpg
    1600s Jim Copper compare.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 773

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Congrats Jim on another good hunt, shame Mom did not equal your finds, but she has had her days of glory in the past. ;D

Your copper is without a doubt a 1600s copper and I had to do a side by side comparison and fairly certain your copper is a 1680-84 Charles II Irish Halfpenny. I put an example of one on the left, yours in the center and a 1696 William III Irish Halfpenny on the right. I see more similarities to the Charles II than the William, but judge for yourself or maybe someone else will confirm or deny. I guess you cannot make out anything on the reverse side, so just going by what can be seen in the photo........

Don
I wasn't a 100%, that's why I said I think, now seeing the two together I would say that it is Charles11, very similar especially when there is not much detail left, but I see the flowing hair at the bottom and a positive match :icon_thumleft:

SS

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow Don and SS thanks for the ID! Looks like a match. The back is very worn but you can make out an odd shaped harp and a crown at the top. 332 years old. Still cant wrap my mind about this one. Im on an irish hot streak..Sill no luck on that button :BangHead:

natepen

Feb 21, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might sound kind of elementary but get it a little damp. It brings out the features better. I ID'd some lettering on an old RR piece I found that way.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find ! you have to love those huge old fields :icon_thumleft: that KG II is out standing . :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread