COLONIAL SILVER!!!!! MY BEST RELIC OF THE YEAR!!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to a place in which I have found found many colonial finds in the past. I got a high 70's signal on my metal detector within 20 feet of where I found an 1805 large cent. I was expecting a shotgun shell, because some show up at those numbers, but most show up in the 60's on my metal detector. Anyways, I dug it and saw what looked a clump of scrap lead peaking out of the dirt. I grab it and see that it's a beautiful silver shoe buckle. I flip it over, and it has a monogram, and a hallmark. For the next 20 minutes I looked all through the area, and checked that whole area for the other half, I found nothing. I detect for another 30 minutes, and find nothing but some bullet casings and shotgun shells

The writing on the back of the shoe buckle says, "S.P to G.R", most likely a gift given from Wife to Husband or the other way around, but considering the last initial is different, it make me think otherwise

It has a hallmark from a maker from the 1740's-1750's, and I found a complete pair of buckles made by the same maker online

I feel that this find is the best relic I found this year!

IMG_20141107_164923.jpg IMG_20141107_164936.jpg IMG_20141107_165049.jpg IMG_20141107_165307.jpg IMG_20141107_165332.jpg

Thanks for Looking, Coinman123

Last edited:
Upvote 26
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a small knee buckle with the same design which belonged to a soldier from the Rev War… Not saying yours is but would make me think….did you find any military buttons at that site??

I have not found anything military related at that site. Everything I find is civilian, because there were not any battles in my area. I have found other brass shoe buckles with similar designs though.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not found anything military related at that site. Everything I find is civilian, because there were not any battles in my area. I have found other brass shoe buckles with similar designs though.

There are no battles in my area, but I get loads of Military stuff of all ages. Also a Military man can retire anywhere, so a civilian house site can have a military connection. Just saying, not meaning this one does.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, that's a beautiful find!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I was able to find out who the guy was on the last initials "G.R.". He was a Catholic priest from Ireland, a teacher, and a Revolutionary war solider. And he lived right where I found the buckle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
There are no battles in my area, but I get loads of Military stuff of all ages. Also a Military man can retire anywhere, so a civilian house site can have a military connection. Just saying, not meaning this one does.

I just found out that the man who received the buckle fought in the revolutionary war, including the battle of Lexington. So there is always that chance

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's really cool. some very deep research of records of the area might even reveal who SP and GR could be, possibly

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to find out who the guy was on the last intials "G.R.". He was a Catholic priest, and a teacher. And he lived right where I found the buckle.
well that just threw the neat factor way up there "Nice"

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find! Woods or field? If it was found in the woods, perhaps the other fragment is somewhere close? If it was found in a worked field, that would be far more difficult. I mention this because that buckle was definitely lost - not discarded. Nobody would toss out a solid silver buckle fragment, as that would be the like throwing away cash. The buckle fragment came from an accidental loss, but how does one lose a half buckle fragment? It would seem that the missing buckle fragment could possibly be somewhere close. I hope you find it. Good luck!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found out that the man who received the buckle fought in the revolutionary war, including the battle of Lexington. So there is always that chance

Good research, that was what I was trying to say.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW, Great job on that dig!! Always a welcome site to see treasure specially when it has a Hallmark!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread