Colonial Silver, Seated Silver, and My First NY!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Got out with Shangolangoid today to do some diggin and we had a heck of a day. Here's the video:

First thing I know, he's found a nice piece of a SILVER colonial shoe buckle. The thing was made to look like faceted jewels on it! I've read about a time frame for these in some book---perhaps a Noel Hume book, but I can't remember or find out where these are discussed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

100_5865 - Copy.JPG

Then before I can gain my composure and proceed to dig circles round ole shang like normal, he's got himself an 1853-O with arrows Half Dime! :BangHead:

100_5861 - Copy.JPG 100_5862 - Copy.JPG

OK, so now I've gotta dig something. But before I do, he's yelling "Hi Ho!" and I know he's got another Silver. It's an 1854-O with arrows Half Dime!

100_5863.JPG 100_5864 - Copy.JPG

At this point my homicidal thoughts are coming out--but before I could whack him with my detector and steal his silver, I started to get some finds. I got a dropped minieball, then a couple steps later I dug a shield nickel.

minie.JPG shield obv.JPG shield rev.JPG

We both got a couple buttons, including a convex one-piece that I thought might be military. (it wasn't).

flower convex.JPG

Then I got a nice BIG colonial button with some neat flower designs in the silver gilding. I like this big, funky button. If the gilding were worn off, then no trace of the design would remain.

flower dandy.JPG HPIM5149.JPG

He dug a couple small ball buttons that were cuff sized

100_5866.JPG 100_5867.JPG

Then I got a nice lead signal and dug a dropped Merrill Carbine bullet.

merrill dirt.JPG merril.JPG

Things were looking up in the Civil War department! :headbang: Anytime I'm digging drops in close succession on a hunt, I start getting excited. Well, not long after that I looked down and saw what I thought was a shotgun shell laying on top of the ground. When I bent over to look, I realized I was staring at a New York button!!

NY in hand.JPG ny button.JPG

Plow-struck and missing the back, I'm still thrilled with this find. It's my first ever NY button. So it looks like he got the silver on this trip and I dug the Civil War, which is perfectly fine with me. :) We had a nice handful of finds at the end of the hunt!

all finds.JPG

And here are the finds, after cleaning:
finds.JPG

A silver happy face :D

shang.jpg

-Buck

Upvote 27

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
What a day! Enjoyable write up buddy. So much excitement. On the previous hunt I dug a 1855 O half dime, so with these two, 53, 54 and 55. I think you had a 53 or 55 on the previous hunt? Probably highly likely that the coins were lost when the CW relics were. I keep thinking of investing in a new detector but my Tesoro machines continue to satisfy. Until next time..........Canefield Bandits.........keep diggin'!!!
P.S.........Next time we need to switch up, I want a Pelican and you get the silver coins!! Big congrats on that New York!!! Not many things you haven't found, it's always fun to see you get something you haven't.:headbang:

Last edited:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt Guys!!! Congrats to both you and Shangalang Will. :thumbsup: Great variety of relics.
You two should switch detectors one day and see who gets the silver and who gets the CW relics.
Thanks for the video.
-DUHg-

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! Enjoyable write up buddy. So much excitement. On the previous hunt I dug a 1855 O half dime, so with these two, 53, 54 and 55. I think you had a 53 or 55 on the previous hunt? Probably highly likely that the coins were lost when the CW relics were. I keep thinking of investing in a new detector but my Tesoro machines continue to satisfy. Until next time..........Canefield Bandits.........keep diggin'!!!
P.S.........Next time we need to switch up, I want a Pelican and you get the silver coins!! Big congrats on that New York!!! Not many things you haven't found, it's always fun to see you get something you haven't.:headbang:

Thanks a bunch buddy, so great to hunt with you as always! And I agree-next time you get the Pelican and I'll happily take a handful of old silver! Congrats on that series of 3 consecutive years of half dime! Now we need a 56 or a 52!

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buckle would have been an epic find whole, as it is, still pretty good!
Shang doesn't find the half dimes, they find him!

I think Shang would trip over the half dimes laying in the cane fields. Would love to see that whole buckle. The rest of it is there--and we have a chance at finding it, since it gets plowed.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt Guys!!! Congrats to both you and Shangalang Will. :thumbsup: Great variety of relics.
You two should switch detectors one day and see who gets the silver and who gets the CW relics.
Thanks for the video.
-DUHg-

Nah, I'm not interested in switching. I love the F75 too much. BUT it seems WAY more responsive toward Big Iron after the upgrade--and that I am NOT pleased with!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a sign of things to come! Hope you find the rest of that buckle... :occasion14:Here's to another great year!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first NY Button! As always you guys seem to save the good stuff, WTG and thanks for sharing!!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That NY button is along way from home, congrats.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry you got skunked on silver Buck, but at least you dug (or picked up) a first. I looked around for that buckle, and the only thing I could find with anything close to that design was this 1720-90 shoe buckle. And this one isn't silver either.

buckle with rosettes.jpg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that buckle would have been an absolute stunner! Great job fellas. Lots of nice finds in that group.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs Buck:headbang:

That buckle must have been a beauty and probably belonged to a wealthy Colonial..

~Blaze~

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a sign of things to come! Hope you find the rest of that buckle... :occasion14:Here's to another great year!

Thanks for your reply, Patriot! I dug my Find of the Year in January, so the rest is, as they say in Louisiana, "Lagniappe." :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That NY button is along way from home, congrats.

We have dug a Bingham Military School (North Carolina), a Kentucky Military Institute Button, a Pelican Button, and now a NY Button in this area. We're trying to find the hotspot, but I know the area was bulldozed in the past. So there may not be a real concentration of finds.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you got skunked on silver Buck, but at least you dug (or picked up) a first. I looked around for that buckle, and the only thing I could find with anything close to that design was this 1720-90 shoe buckle. And this one isn't silver either.

View attachment 1136515

Thanks for looking, Bill. Seems like I read somewhere about the style with the "nail heads" but they were explained as "mock jewels meant to glisten and sparkle in the sunlight." I think it' may have been in one of the archaeological reports I have saved somewhere.

I'm sure the rest of the buckle is there. Just a question of how many years it'll take for it to turn up. Fields are plowed once every 3 years here, so it could be quite some time.

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Buck:headbang:

That buckle must have been a beauty and probably belonged to a wealthy Colonial..

~Blaze~

I actually have a strong hunch about who this might have belonged to--and I hope I'm right. :)

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck!! As usual Nice Finds for you and Shane!! CONGRATS!! Hope you guys are well!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread