Colonial site finally gives up some silver...Seated Liberty style CC.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the colonial site today. I hunted a few more areas that I thought would be unproductive but I want to hunt everywhere possible just in case I come across another hot spot. First find of the day was a penny. Of course I thought it would be an IH but alas just a 1939 wheat penny. Soon thereafter I hit a flat button. After that the finds started getting thin. I wrapped up the first 2 hours of the hunt with a small broken object that I think is a buckle and a lead fishing sinker. I also picked up one more wheat penny. (1934) At this point my junk pouch was alot more full than my treasure pouch so I decided to take a water break. The water was in my car so I hopped on the 4 wheeler and headed for the car. Here is a picture of the path that leads from the farm field to where I park my car.
IMG_0844.jpg

I moved to another part of the field for my second excursion. My finds here consisted of a few bullets and a semi squashed musket ball (looks kind of like a rock because its not round) Its the one above the orange whistle in this picture. The orange whistle was an eyeball find.
IMG_0853.JPG

After this excursion I had lunch. Then I headed back out for mini hunt #3. I picked up a nice flat button here. This is the only flat button I've found here that actually has something on the front. Its not completely clean but here is a picture. i will post a cleaned up picture later. If anyone recognizes it and may be able to ID it, I would appreciate any help.
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
Soon after this button I picked up a small flat button that still has the back attached. Here is a picture of that button along with the first flat button I found today.
IMG_0852.JPG

After that I began to hit a string of beer cans that were registering as dime/quarter hits on my DFX. Must be a place where kids hang out and drink. It's a very secluded area here so I can see why. Just to be sure i was digging everything. After about 3 or 4 beer cans I hit an identical signal and thought "another beer can" Depth indication was a half inch. Just as I'm getting ready to jam the shovel into the ground I see a round shape. Its a little muddy so i pick it up and pour some of my water on it. Staring back at me is the obverse of a seated liberty dime. It occurred to me that I didn't take a picture of the coin before I picked it up so i put it back where it was and snapped a couple of pictures.
IMG_0845.jpg
IMG_0846.JPG

Here are the wheats and dime......
IMG_0849.JPG

Better pics of the dime.....
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG

Here is one of the bullets i found. Does anyone have an age estimate on this one. It's the first one like this I've found here.
IMG_0854.JPG

Thanks alot for looking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Colonial site finally gives up some silver...Seated Liberty style.

By the way, Last night I took a picture of all of the finds (minus all of the junk iron recoveries) that I have made at this site so far. Here is the picture of the totals (minus todays finds).

Attachments

• IMG_0839.JPG
    IMG_0839.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 515

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Awesome find, Rob! That Seated kicks a$$! You the man, man!

The Spider coil strikes again, bud! I love those shallow coins in fields...they are so easy to excavate. hahaha

HH!

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkPA said:

The Spider coil strikes again, bud! I love those shallow coins in fields...they are so easy to excavate. hahaha

HH!
Thanks Kirk. I was beginning to wonder if you were really online. I have a few non dug ones in my coin collection but none of them rival the condition of this one. I was hoping it was gonna be a bust dime when i picked it up. And i feel ya about the wheats dude. I was looking for the closest stream to toss them in. ;D

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Evolution said:
KirkPA said:

HH!
Thanks Kirk. I was beginning to wonder if you were really online. I have a few non dug ones in my coin collection but none of them rival the condition of this one. I was hoping it was gonna be a bust dime when i picked it up. And i feel ya about the wheats dude. I was looking for the closest stream to toss them in. ;D

LMFAO! I am glad to have inspired you to throw those coins! hahaha We aim high, right? lol Keep the passion high!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GREAT silver, E! 8) That one is still on my 'gotta find' list!

Nana ;)

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

That's a War of 1812 Artillery button. Nice find !

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gribnitz said:
Thanks Gribnitz. Like i said in the post, i haven't yet (until now) found anything military related at this site. Does this button have any value to speak of? Mines in pretty poor condition anyway.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gribnitz said:
I was going to say the same,"Chicken colonel button"this one is diff. from the ones I've seen.It look's like lettering over the eagles head ?

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vpone said:
great find ! i bet that made your day huh ?

congrats

vp
It definitely made my day. The fact that it was my last find of the day made it easy to call it quits for the day. I hate the hunts where you say to yourself.."OK one more decent find and then I'll wrap it up for today" and then one hour later when you still haven't made that one more find you're like "Why did i say that....now i have to make good on my promise"

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkPA said:
Hey, has outraged contacted you lately?
Actually yes. Just the other day. Says his internet was down for quite a while and he just got it up and working again. I don't know about you but i don't think i could live without my internet. Lol and of course treasurenet. ;D

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yea I didnt realize that it was a CC until I looked in the other section, I am happy for you, awsome find ;D ;D ;D

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-Terra 50 & WHITE'S MXT

Congrats on the killer "dig"...

Not that you had to dig for that one ;D

You're right action shots are cool as all heck!

I've only found one seated myself... and it wasn't a CC.

But it was still a thrill to find none-the-less!

Here's to you finding a bust silver the next time out!

HH

Nickel_B

SilverDreams

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vinemont, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sweet dime! It's in great shape.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nickel_Buff1935 said:
Congrats on the killer "dig"...

Not that you had to dig for that one ;D

You're right action shots are cool as all heck!

I've only found one seated myself... and it wasn't a CC.

But it was still a thrill to find none-the-less!

Here's to you finding a bust silver the next time out!

HH

Nickel_B
Thanks nickel B. I like the action shots. Kinda brings the hunt to life. When I first got to the site I pulled into the adjacent field with the 4 wheeler and saw about 40 turkeys by the edge of the field. Tried to get my camera out of my pocket as quickly as i could but i missed those suckers.....darn. A few bigguns too.
The dime was fun to find. This was my first pre 1900 silver coin. My old record for oldest silver was a 1904 Barber dime. Thanks for the response.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Very nice finds!

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-Terra 50 & WHITE'S MXT

Evolution said:
Thanks nickel B. I like the action shots. Kinda brings the hunt to life. When I first got to the site I pulled into the adjacent field with the 4 wheeler and saw about 40 turkeys by the edge of the field. Tried to get my camera out of my pocket as quickly as i could but i missed those suckers.....darn. A few bigguns too.
The dime was fun to find. This was my first pre 1900 silver coin. My old record for oldest silver was a 1904 Barber dime. Thanks for the response.

I know what you mean... there was nothing more fun then my first pre-1900's silver (1891 seated).

But don't worry the second time around was most delightful too!

My second Barber being an 1892... ;)

I hope you atleast have to dig for your second ;D

Keep diggin'!

Nickel_B

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nickel_Buff1935 said:
Evolution said:

I know what you mean... there was nothing more fun then my first pre-1900's silver (1891 seated).

But don't worry the second time around was most delightful too!

My second Barber being an 1892... ;)

I hope you atleast have to dig for your second ;D

Keep diggin'!

Nickel_B
I'm hoping for spanish silver next time around. This site seems like it could produce some. Got 3 identifiable colonial coppers so far and 2 1/2 smooth coppers that were most likely colonial. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread