Colonial surface finds SC Clay pipe with ash in bowl ...id help?

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
My son and I hit a nearby construction site and found a few things.
This was the largest clay pipe piece we've found to date. The china and glass pieces are typical of what we find around here.
(Coastal SC)

Anyone on the board know if this pipe can be tied to a time range by the style.
Surface find and had just been broken by ground clearing. Didn't find the other side but bowl still full of ash.

Cool!
Any thoughts on the items appreciated.

Attachments

• colonial pipe 9-18.jpg
    colonial pipe 9-18.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 6
OP
OP
B

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
That is amazingly helpful thanks so much. I'll measure it if I can and post back
that's wild

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done really cool relic

OP
OP
B

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
Thanks for the great info as always. I measured the dia of hole best I could and I think it fits the later (smaller dia) time frame.
I've been checking to see if any others are reported with the tobacco ash still in tact and I haven't seen any. It's obviously packed with black ash.
The guys last smoke i guess. Hope it wasn't a grave site. What ever the case it will be developed soon for the next generation of Americans looking to make a new home for themselves and family. I've found similar blown glass bottle necks and round bottoms from case bottles. Lots of history and mysteries still to be solved.

Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use drill bits (the x/64 inch sizes) to accurately measure the hole diameter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread