Colonial Wayside Tavern Yields a 307-Year-Old Coin

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
What's up, fellow Tnetter zoysters? Well, KirkPA, PACO, and I got out to the wayside tavern site today. Overall, it was a great metal detecting day on a beautiful metal detecting site with a lovely metal detecting breeze blowing by us metal detectorists the entire day! :D

The day began with the usual butt-ins for KirkPA and me. So, being a great metal detectorist :D, I decided to up my game by gridding out areas with zoyboy passion and determination. Well, to make a long metal detecting story short, I was swingin' my trusty analog detector down a row, when I was startled by a large nail on the ground. I yelled over to KirkPA, "SQUARE NAIL, LARGE SQUARE NAIL!" He looked over and couldn't do anything but laugh. Once I picked up that beauty, I placed it into my pouch, and pranced down the row a little more, hoping for a coin or another 1700s butt-in. About 20 yards down the row from where I got the square nail, I got a nice, strong "P" on "PENNY" hit on my analog detector. Well, to make another long metal detecting story short, I eventually found the target: a 1700 clipped Colonial copper. After I realized what I had, I instantly took my headphones off, and started running around saying, "CLIPPED, CLIPPED, CLIPPED, CLIPPED COIN, DUDES!" KirkPA did not understand what I was saying because he instantly said, "That would be a 15-yard penalty." Eventually, after he realized how much I was zoying out, he dropped his detector and started leaping cornrows with his relic shovel in his hand. Once PACO got to the zoy celebration, we started slapping high fives with KirkPA and I yelling, "YEAH, YES, I KNEW THEY WERE HERE." Here are a few pictures of the coin:
clippedcopper011-2.jpg

clippedcopper006-2.jpg

clippedcopper006.jpg

KirkPA continued to find handfuls of Colonial butt-ins throughout the day. After every butt-in, he would scream, "COLONIAL BUTT-IN." Great job on a relic kind of day, KirkPA. Pictured below are his finds for the day:
buttons001.jpg

Here is the picture of my butt-ins:
butt-ins006.jpg

PACO also had a relic day, finding 5 butt-ins and 5 musketballs. Great job, Bud!

I am not sure what type of coin I found today, even though I do know that it is British. KirkPA believes that it is a William III, so any information that anyone would know would be greatly appreciated. The coin is a bust facing left with "MVS" letters on the obverse.

In conclusion, I am a metal detectorist who goes "aaaaaaaaaall" year for a few nice coins, usually 1700s and older. I know for a metal detecting fact that "Mr. Walter" would be proud of my style.

Our Total Finds from this Site in Two Trips:
-45 butt-ins
-25 musketballs
-late-1700s shoe buckle
-Clipped Colonial coin

zoyster

Upvote 0

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
zoyboy said:
Thanks, everyone, for the kind metal detecting words. :D

Captn_SE, I don't believe that I will hold my #1 status very long. Make me proud and go get more wilver, bud!

Bdoo, it is good to see you back on posting. Thanks for the kind words, bud!

zoyboy a.k.a. KylePA :D

It kind of sounds like "KirkPA." LMFAO We must hit this site ALLLLL fall, zoy! I have a feeling more artifacts will surface next week. What you say, mate? 8)

Did you make my list? Dudes, check it out: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,109198.0.html

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
KirkPA said:
zoyboy said:
Thanks, everyone, for the kind metal detecting words. :D

Captn_SE, I don't believe that I will hold my #1 status very long. Make me proud and go get more wilver, bud!

Bdoo, it is good to see you back on posting. Thanks for the kind words, bud!

zoyboy a.k.a. KylePA :D

I say: "Let's detect like wiggly gibbons with metal detecting passion unparalleled in this lovely metal detecting world" :D

It kind of sounds like "KirkPA." LMFAO We must hit this site ALLLLL fall, zoy! I have a feeling more artifacts will surface next week. What you say, mate? 8)

Did you make my list? Dudes, check it out: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,109198.0.html

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
KirkPA said:
Zoy, I have a feeling a Spanish cut-piece will show up at this site. Hmmmm...I wonder who will find one 1st? :-X :D

Probably me...hehehe :D :D :-* :-*

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Brother, I hope the kind landowner harvests that other soybean field this week. I have a feeling it may hold a few artifacts that are waiting to be excavated by zoyboy, KirkPA, and PACO.

By the time we are finished with this site, it SHOULD be on the "Best of Tnet" board. If not, something is wrong! :P :D

Brother zoy, what should we do with our other ra-search projects? Put them on hold until next year?

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
congrats on that great find!! A clipped 300 year old coin is better than no 300 year old coin!

HH

Funkman

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So...is that an eagle button in that mess of finds there? Hmmmmmmmm....? Have you cleaned it up yet? I'd like to see an "after" photo.

-Buckeboy

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
BuckleBoy said:
So...is that an eagle button in that mess of finds there? Hmmmmmmmm....? Have you cleaned it up yet? I'd like to see an "after" photo.

-Buckeboy

No, it isn't an Eagle but-tin, Buck! Will, what do you think the next coin will be? :D

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Awesome digs guys. That copper is really cool. I never knew that the clipped the coppers back then. Any George copper is a nice old British find for sure! What I think is cool about those coins is that those folks must have carried them over on the old wooden ships with them when they left the UK. If those coins could tell a story I bet it would be interesting for sure.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I'll tell you what you have to do with Zoy. Cut the little tendon on the back right side of his ankle. He'll be stuck going in circles to the left, like NASCAR. Problem solved!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Bergie said:
I'll tell you what you have to do with Zoy. Cut the little tendon on the back right side of his ankle. He'll be stuck going in circles to the left, like NASCAR. Problem solved!

Or, I will use his datecta as a baseball bat! :o :D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckeboy

No, it isn't an Eagle but-tin, Buck! Will, what do you think the next coin will be? :D

I think the next coin will be a LC. Draped bust or Flowing Hair.

That's my prediction--and I'm sticking to it. If you find a KGC next, you have to mail it to me ;D

-Buckleboy

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites Strikes Again. I had a good feeling you guys were going to find some good stuff Sunday. The clipped Colonial is BEAUTIFUL. Nothin more to say about that...BEAU-TI-FUL!!!!!! That Company "B" Brass hat pin is in great condition too. Would go for $200. Nice Civil War Era Relic with that as well. And the buttons are nice to. All in all, that is a great spot that you found there ZOY!!! Great JOb ;)!!!!!!!!!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
{Sentinel} said:
Whites Strikes Again. I had a good feeling you guys were going to find some good stuff Sunday. The clipped Colonial is BEAUTIFUL. Nothin more to say about that...BEAU-TI-FUL!!!!!! That Company "B" Brass hat pin is in great condition too. Would go for $200. Nice Civil War Era Relic with that as well. And the buttons are nice to. All in all, that is a great spot that you found there ZOY!!! Great JOb ;)!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap, are you sure it is Civil War? I never thought that this relic was that GREAT, until now! I better go take a look at it again! Hmmm...so, $200 easily?

Thanks, bud, for the kind words about our site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread