Colonial Wayside Tavern Yields a 307-Year-Old Coin

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
What's up, fellow Tnetter zoysters? Well, KirkPA, PACO, and I got out to the wayside tavern site today. Overall, it was a great metal detecting day on a beautiful metal detecting site with a lovely metal detecting breeze blowing by us metal detectorists the entire day! :D

The day began with the usual butt-ins for KirkPA and me. So, being a great metal detectorist :D, I decided to up my game by gridding out areas with zoyboy passion and determination. Well, to make a long metal detecting story short, I was swingin' my trusty analog detector down a row, when I was startled by a large nail on the ground. I yelled over to KirkPA, "SQUARE NAIL, LARGE SQUARE NAIL!" He looked over and couldn't do anything but laugh. Once I picked up that beauty, I placed it into my pouch, and pranced down the row a little more, hoping for a coin or another 1700s butt-in. About 20 yards down the row from where I got the square nail, I got a nice, strong "P" on "PENNY" hit on my analog detector. Well, to make another long metal detecting story short, I eventually found the target: a 1700 clipped Colonial copper. After I realized what I had, I instantly took my headphones off, and started running around saying, "CLIPPED, CLIPPED, CLIPPED, CLIPPED COIN, DUDES!" KirkPA did not understand what I was saying because he instantly said, "That would be a 15-yard penalty." Eventually, after he realized how much I was zoying out, he dropped his detector and started leaping cornrows with his relic shovel in his hand. Once PACO got to the zoy celebration, we started slapping high fives with KirkPA and I yelling, "YEAH, YES, I KNEW THEY WERE HERE." Here are a few pictures of the coin:
clippedcopper011-2.jpg

clippedcopper006-2.jpg

clippedcopper006.jpg

KirkPA continued to find handfuls of Colonial butt-ins throughout the day. After every butt-in, he would scream, "COLONIAL BUTT-IN." Great job on a relic kind of day, KirkPA. Pictured below are his finds for the day:
buttons001.jpg

Here is the picture of my butt-ins:
butt-ins006.jpg

PACO also had a relic day, finding 5 butt-ins and 5 musketballs. Great job, Bud!

I am not sure what type of coin I found today, even though I do know that it is British. KirkPA believes that it is a William III, so any information that anyone would know would be greatly appreciated. The coin is a bust facing left with "MVS" letters on the obverse.

In conclusion, I am a metal detectorist who goes "aaaaaaaaaall" year for a few nice coins, usually 1700s and older. I know for a metal detecting fact that "Mr. Walter" would be proud of my style.

Our Total Finds from this Site in Two Trips:
-45 butt-ins
-25 musketballs
-late-1700s shoe buckle
-Clipped Colonial coin

zoyster

Upvote 0

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
BuckleBoy said:
KirkPA said:
DJ_Quinn said:
Nice find, but I'm really impressed that you managed to get a pic of a sasquatch while you were out detecting. I've seen their tracks out in the woods but I havn't seen one yet, let alone get close enough to get a picture......

Are you serious? ??? ::)

why does a metal detector beep i was just wondering because every time i pick up a whites machine i hear the gerbils going round on their wheel inside what do you think

;D

By the way...speaking of crypt... :-X I think it's time to bring a certain thread up to the top again... ;)

I agree, Buck! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread