Colorado or Arizona ?

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I'm currently planning my next gold panning adventure. Probably going sometime in June or July. One location is Lynx Creek Recreational Area in the Prescott Natl. Forest, Arizona. The other is the Arkansas River west of Canon Colorado where it runs into the Texas Creek. Both areas promise to be productive. Some 1/4 inch nuggets have been found at Lynx Creek by amateur panners and the Arkansas River is supposed to be good too. Has anyone in the forum been to either of these locations and how did you do ? Which spot do you think is better ? I am a novice panner, but an experienced outdoorsman. So the remoteness of an area doesn't phase me. Both Lynx Creek and Texas Creek are close to roads and very accesssable. I only mentioned my bushwhacking experience incase you have something alittle wilder in mind you'd like to suggest as a destination. Thanks. And please. Don't suggest Alaska.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TheNewCatfish said:
I'm currently planning my next gold panning adventure. Probably going sometime in June or July. One location is Lynx Creek Recreational Area in the Prescott Natl. Forest, Arizona. The other is the Arkansas River west of Canon Colorado where it runs into the Texas Creek. Both areas promise to be productive. Some 1/4 inch nuggets have been found at Lynx Creek by amateur panners and the Arkansas River is supposed to be good too. Has anyone in the forum been to either of these locations and how did you do ? Which spot do you think is better ? I am a novice panner, but an experienced outdoorsman. So the remoteness of an area doesn't phase me. Both Lynx Creek and Texas Creek are close to roads and very accesssable. I only mentioned my bushwhacking experience incase you have something alittle wilder in mind you'd like to suggest as a destination. Thanks. And please. Don't suggest Alaska.

Go to Colorado. A) It is much cooler. Prescott will be in the low-to-mid-90s. B) If you find a "1/4 inch" (I think you mean ounce? or even inch) nugget at the public panning area on Lynx Creek I would be more than surprised. The only place the public can legally access Lynx Creek is inside Fain Park, in Prescott Valley. The area has been POUNDED. No metal detectors or motorized equipment - just hand tools. The Bradshaw mountains are full of gold, but you need to KNOW the area and have a quad. Now if you come back in October through May, come on down to Congress, Arizona and Rich Hill. Now you are talking NUGGETS!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That part of Colorado down by Canon City is not gonna be that much cooler. I panned close to where you're talking about just below the Point Bar placer claim last week, but just panned a lot of black sand. I'm an amateur too. You might check out the Arkansas farther up in the Granite area. Pay attention, there are active claims, but the ones I've seen are marked. And no problem with remoteness. The Arkansas is pretty much within walkin distance of a highway from Pueblo all the way up here where it starts. Best of luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions