Comanche? Please help identify...

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Was out metal detecting a dried up PRIVATE lake bed near Fort Worth Texas. A buddy found a nice flint scraper so we started looking around. My wife and I ended up with some good stuff too. Some of them may not have been "keepers" by those who made them but they sure looked worked to us. Not even sure exactly what we have. None of us really know much about Native Indian artifacts so I was hoping someone knew what to look for to help narrow down the tribe. Could be Comanche or possible Ouchita?
Thanks fro help, Ron

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 949
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Pic 2

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 740
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 693
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 668
OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Pic 3

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 707
OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Pic 4

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 677
OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Scotts finds

Attachments

• scotts2small.jpg
    scotts2small.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 678

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your pieces look like some nice Tools and a couple of possible Knives. These are much older than the Tribes you mentioned. Hard to say exactly how old since all of the early cultures used pieces very similar to these. Without finding and an actual Arrowhead it would be almost impossible to get a correct date, but I doubt they are associated with the Comanche or Ouchita. These Tribes were using mostly Metal Points for the Arrows and had Metal Knives and Weapons as well.

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
SRV said:
Your pieces look like some nice Tools and a couple of possible Knives. These are much older than the Tribes you mentioned. Hard to say exactly how old since all of the early cultures used pieces very similar to these. Without finding and an actual Arrowhead it would be almost impossible to get a correct date, but I doubt they are associated with the Comanche or Ouchita. These Tribes were using mostly Metal Points for the Arrows and had Metal Knives and Weapons as well.

Thanks for the reply. Could you put a ballpark age on "much older"? What are some possible cultures that would have used such tools in this area? Are we talking stone age?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything that screams Paleo to me, but they could very well be Archaic which would put them as old as 8500 BC. Like I said though, a lot of the cultures used Tools just like those so they could also be Woodland which could make them newer and maybe only 1200 to 3000 years old. You need to find some Points which are easier to date and that will give you an idea of the age.

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks again. Points meaning arrowheads I guess? We went back and searched today and only found a couple flakes and a "shoe spoon". I guess arrowheads show more detail and the characteristics of each help to define the maker? Here are pics of today's find, showing as much detail as I can. Will be back searching no doubt!

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 664
  • back.JPG
    back.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 583

cowtownkid

Greenie
Sep 25, 2011
Fort Worth,TX (Riverside)
Detector(s) used
Recently: AT Pro, Tek G2, Tesoro Cibola, Troy Shadow X2 Tek Omega 8000 & Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SRV,

Thanks for the replies to RW's questions, I was with Ron when we found these artifacts...I had no idea they could possibly be so old. We have detected all over this lake and land and there was just this one little area we found any signs or hint of flint or flint shaped tools. I'll be going back to take a closer look.

Thanks again,

Scott

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well we went back and this is the closest thing we could find to a "point".
Help at all?

Attachments

• point3.JPG
    point3.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 479
  • point2.JPG
    point2.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 475
  • point1.JPG
    point1.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 483

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW, the piece in your last photo looks to be just a waste flake and not an artifact. The one in the post before that though looks to be a really nice Scraper.

cowtownkid

Greenie
Sep 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Recently: AT Pro, Tek G2, Tesoro Cibola, Troy Shadow X2 Tek Omega 8000 & Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll take a pic of the first piece we found...Ron and I immediately thought it may be a scrapper. Will get it posted sometime tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Scott

Here are Pics of the Flint I found @ Lake...I really like the colors.

Attachments

• Collection Of Items2.jpg
    Collection Of Items2.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 410
  • Collection Of Items Flipped Over.jpg
    Collection Of Items Flipped Over.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 396
  • Possible Scrapper.jpg
    Possible Scrapper.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 385
  • Possible Scrapper2.jpg
    Possible Scrapper2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 405
  • Possible Scrapper3.jpg
    Possible Scrapper3.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 421
  • Possible small Points.jpg
    Possible small Points.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 411
  • Various Flint Pieces.jpg
    Various Flint Pieces.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 404
  • 100_1308.jpg
    100_1308.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 399

cowtownkid

Greenie
Sep 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, Posted my Pics but somehow the tagged to my previous post. Probably because I tried to add them to the orginal post but file to large??? Anyway, Pics are one post up!

Thanks,

Scott

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like the whole kitchen drawer! Axe, scraper, salad fork... Couple nice ones in there.

cowtownkid

Greenie
Sep 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RW said:
Looks like the whole kitchen drawer! Axe, scraper, salad fork... Couple nice ones in there.

Haha!...I like the colors of the stone as much as anything...Put them all in a paper lined shoebox in a safe out of the way place. As much area as we have covered out here...I'm pretty proud we pulled these pieces out before they are under water for another 50+ years.

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow what an awesome law. I guess better lost forever than in the hands of a civilian... Ridiculous.

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thread is over 4 years old but found some similar stones while researching Texas Indians. New word to me but "preforms" are I think what we found. Here is a link showing almost identical stones: Stone Tools I know the Caddo Indians frequented the area the stones were found. I rather like the idea that they were made by cavemen 10,000BC but Indian is just as well. Hoping for a little rain this weekend to possible reveal some artifacts in a construction area near my home. So what do you think? Caveman or preform?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread