Competition on the beach: How much is there - really?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend of mine commented that he had seen almost a dozen guys on the beach with metal detectors while on vacation in the Bahamas last week. He asked me if, with that much competition, I thought I really had a chance of finding enough to actually pay for my machine. I told him that as an old gold prospector, the one thing I know for sure is nobody gets it all. Then we started discussing the "competition."

WARNING: :BangHead: The following is PERSONAL OPINION, and not FACT BASED. Thank you.

I think metal detecting is like every other hobby or sport in the world. You have "recreational" players, "amateur" players, "semi-pro," and "professionals." I think (I know.. you're shocked I'm thinking and you don't smell smoke yet), that a full 95-percent of the people that own metal detectors fall into the "recreational," and "amateur" catagories.

These folks may think of themselves as real treasure hunters, but their physical abilities don't allow them to hunt for more than an hour or two. Then there are the "Rolex Warriors." Even though they have the "best" detector on the market, they never swing the coil any closer than 5" to the sand, and walk willie-nillie all over the beach, maybe getting their ankles wet!

It is exactly the same in gold prospecting. Guys will buy a Minelab GPX5000 and run into the goldfields in their Cadilac Escalade. They detect for an hour, then sit in the shade and drink beer while other idiots stop by to admire their machine and look at the little nugget their Minelab dealer "helped" them find. Meanwhile, a guy with a Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, or a Fisher Goldbug II - who has been gridding an area 50-yards away for nine-hours, comes home with enough to actually pay for his machine.

When I see other guys on the beach, the first thing I do is watch their technique - I really don't care what machine they are using. I know within 30-seconds whether or not I should be walking behind them or not. I know why certain folks find a lot more than most - Practice; Cumulative time spent on the headphones; and Location! If there is nothing there to find, well, that's that!

Most people never spy the guys and gals that are serious about making money, because they are out there at 430am with the low tide, or at sunset when everyone has gone home. Most beach goers only see the "wanna-bee's" and "look-at-me's" on crowded beaches during the day. It's no wonder they think of ALL of us that way..

OK, thank goodness I got THAT off my chest! :laughing7:

Attachments

• dontworry.jpg
    dontworry.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 753
Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lorrain. said:
In my humble opinion, the gentleman wearing the blue shirt will soon have a backache as the coil appears to be too far away from his body.

I believe that if he swung the coil closer to his toes as he walked, there would be less strain on his arm and back.

Lorraine
I think this picture is in a competition hunt note the side basket and tag on hat. We all look funny going around like mad people collecting tokens! Now the amount of new hunters I hunt a beach that gets 10,000 bathers a weekend and so it gets hunted hard. Tuesday after work I found 8 hunters on the main beach and went back to another side two more showed up since I left. I walked down further and ran into 2 more. 13 hunters in 3 miles. Of the 8 people 7 were two families 2 moms swinging dfx's 2 dads and 2 boys with excal's and a little 7ish girl with an ace 250. I thought it was pretty cool but do the math the economy isn't that bad. 7000's in detectors and scoops!

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned very quickly that the ocean changes daily. That which is lost 10 years ago could be on the surface today and that which was lost yesterday could be 8" deep. As the concensus states you have to have the luck to put your coil over the target. I'm not in one of the heavily populated areas when it comes to MDers but we have a steady flow of them. When I hit the beach and I see someone else there I move on. I've learned first hand that no area when it comes to beach and shallow water is "cleaned out". There's always tomorrow.

On the other hand there was a story in the recent "Lost Treasure" magazine where the fellow made a good point. Old fresh water swimming holes can be cleaned out of the older stuff, but there's always gonna be a fresh drop.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
stpauli914 said:
If it's just fun then I think we should all start swingin our coils at least a foot off the ground. I'll start tomorrow morning, I promise :wink: ;D :wink:
I'm not sayin ya gotta be less than what ya are . Just don't make fun , or complain , about
those that are being what they can be .
I betchya that if a club of ,say, 20 dedicated hunters assulted 'your' beach in a dedicated manner like you envision you would be even more pizzy . :tongue3:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the fella in the blue (we'll call him "Tiny" for the sake of argument) were a real hunter he would be neck deep in that water behind him. That looks absolutely beautiful ;D

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not water behind him ,it's his shirt.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hounddog said:
Ok out of the two guys detecting you posted pics of who would you walk behind?

The guy on the left has a tiny coil, I would hunt behind him with no concerns at all, the guy on the right has his coil too high off the ground and is swinging at an arc, (cutting weeds) and I would hunt behind him as well......

When I hunt I usually hunt for at least 4 hours and up to 12 hours. When I hunt I am using an Excal with either a 15 inch WOT coil or a 12x15 inch SEF Butterfly coil on it, just installed this week, took off the S-12 coil..... I have no problem hunting in the water with a large coil and I hunt up to chest deep....

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
Thanks for all the info. on the best form to use on a beach. Not being a beach hunter and heading to the beach very soon this will help me make the most of what time I have.

ahaulil

Apr 19, 2011
North Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It is exactly the same in gold prospecting. Guys will buy a Minelab GPX5000 and run into the goldfields..."

Wow, I've seen the same thing while drywashing in AZ. We will be working and some nitwit with a Minelab with a coil the size of a garbage can lid will start working around our area. They stay around an hour working the drunken man grid. My wife and I call them snake herders as all they do is force them our way. After a few 9mm's (sort of near the snakes) they relocate.
Don't get me wrong, after I eat dust for hours, I break out my T2 SE and do a small grid. Never worked a beach-going to Tampa in September and hope to find anything but snakes!

Scott

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
IMOHO ,
Hobby= fun . Havin fun =profit . Bein dedicated enough to make great finds is great . When a hobby becomes work in a quest for profit ; WHATINELL DID YA QUIT WORKIN FOR ?
Follow those that are not so dedicated . No need to make fun of them . By their own actions they didn't 'steal' anything from you . :tongue3:
Why work at a hobby?? Each of us does this for the thrill of finding something, anything.......It is really nice when we find a gold ring and we are thinking of quiting the day job if we are silly enough to have one. I for one bought a small motor home so I could travel the east coast beaches to enjoy my fun times in the water and the dry sand. When we start counting our time we spend hunting, the equipement, gas/oil, food and lodging we are coming out with minus profit. But we all want to spend our time wisely and to each their own way to enjoy the time. If you know others are doing it a different way, fine. It might not be our way.
Once while having fun while wading in the water I see's this other hunter on the dry sand just slowly walking along dragging his detector coil behind him in a straight line, Trolling. He stops once in a while and turns around to scoop and then walks away again. I laughed but thought he might be on to something. He was definitely seeing more eye candy than I was.......... :laughing7:

HH,
Sandman

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Competition? I don't see any hunter as that, I see them as a source of information. Alot can be learned from the ones that do & don't know what they are doing. I'm famous for taking a beach chair and camera to a new beach for the first couple days, and just watching..everything. So the next time your out there just think, that old goat beechnut is probably out there some where watching. Just A few I have scoped on, Surfdigger, VB Max, sharkhunter, Finderzzs, chuck in miami, ron lord, Dig, Joe in MD, and the one who taught me this.....SpyGlass Bob.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
Terry you can call it what you want ,but I seen them come and go ,I seen guy think they know what they are doing but it boils down to one thing.And that is you can't find it unless you Pass your coil over it! In order to do that you have to hunt alot. I hunt 6 Days a week ,4 to 5 hours that a time. High tide or low tides,it doesn't matter. The best place to find stull in the Water is _______ ! Well I 'm not going to give away that secret, you are going have to learn that.Watch the People at the beach. HH Ron Lord some where in FL. :icon_sunny:
There are a lot of hunters that are inexperienced and some that are very good with an excellent knowledge of their detector but Ron Lord said it correctly, if your coil does not go over the target you will not find it. It is impossible to cover every inch in the water.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great thread Terry. Lots of good info. Lots of laughs too. I am a first yea r beach hunter myself. About as green as they come, but competitive. I always feel if I am going to spend my time doing something, then I want the most I can get out of it. This includes work or play. That's just me. As for other detectorists, most I have seen at the beach are just playing around for an hour or two and having fun or getting a little exercise. I on the other hand am serious about finding some gold while I am there. I check the tide charts out. Find the days that will have the highest and lowest tides (always on the same day of course), I try to make sure to huntt that day. Hunt at least two hours before the low tide to start my day out, and go from there. Then do a grid from the blanket line to the surf for ten or twelve passes to see if there are any stratification troughs for heavier items. Maybe a third of the way down from the blanket line to the water usually is the sweet spot. Then I hunt from that spot to waist deep in the water and back up again until the tides come up quite a bit. Then I breakout my dry sand machine for the rest of my day. Maybe that sounds like too much work for some of you, or like I am taking the fun out of the hobby. But for me it is fun and relaxing and I always take time to stop and meet new people and enjoy the ocean while I am there.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
search and recovery said:
Great thread Terry. Lots of good info. Lots of laughs too. I am a first yea r beach hunter myself. About as green as they come, but competitive. I always feel if I am going to spend my time doing something, then I want the most I can get out of it. This includes work or play. That's just me. As for other detectorists, most I have seen at the beach are just playing around for an hour or two and having fun or getting a little exercise. I on the other hand am serious about finding some gold while I am there. I check the tide charts out. Find the days that will have the highest and lowest tides (always on the same day of course), I try to make sure to huntt that day. Hunt at least two hours before the low tide to start my day out, and go from there. Then do a grid from the blanket line to the surf for ten or twelve passes to see if there are any stratification troughs for heavier items. Maybe a third of the way down from the blanket line to the water usually is the sweet spot. Then I hunt from that spot to waist deep in the water and back up again until the tides come up quite a bit. Then I breakout my dry sand machine for the rest of my day. Maybe that sounds like too much work for some of you, or like I am taking the fun out of the hobby. But for me it is fun and relaxing and I always take time to stop and meet new people and enjoy the ocean while I am there.

Great post S&R! I agree! The folks here have really taken this subject and run with it - Way Cool! :headbang: :notworthy: My routine is dangerously close to yours, and I could not be having MORE fun! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread