Concentric vs DD, differences, contradictions

metal guy

Greenie
Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I had recently request a suggest for my v3i as far as wet sand detecting coil. It was suggested that a 950 would work well. However upon reading on metaldetecting.com's vast articles I am under the impression that the 950 is a concentric coil, which it states performs poorly with hot rocks and minerals and that a DD would work better. Again though this is not the case for myself,the DD picks up alot of salt minerals in wet sand.
Can someone explain to me what the difference Is? Is the 950 concentric? Do I just need to lower sensitivity? I am looking at getting a new coil to use in place of the D2 that I have right now and suggestions on a good wet sand/ black sand coil would help tremendously.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the greatest machine for wet sand or water at a salt water beach. Turning down the sensitivity would probably help the most. I like coverage at the beach, so, I'd use the biggest DD coil I can find. The concentric coil may go slightly deeper but I don't like the coverage at depth.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DDs do handle difficult ground better and their foot print is much like a scanner. The concentric will get a bit better depth and picks thru trash better because of their cone shaped footprint the deeper they go. The DDs dont take in quite as much material to process so you might get a better signal on deeper targets and cover more ground. On beaches hit hard and during recent drop time........ you need to cover more beach faster. i think a DD of the same size may be lighter as well.

cookie-jar

Aug 24, 2015
Ho chi minh,viet nam
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again though this is not the case for myself,the DD picks up alot of salt minerals in wet sand.
Can someone explain to me what the difference Is? Is the 950 concentric? Do I just need to lower sensitivity?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions