conch shell celt/adze insitu.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one is allowed to pick these things up along the waterways here.. So I suppose a photo before it's completely destroyed is better than nothing... Barely.

ForumRunner_20140207_104109.png

ForumRunner_20140207_104125.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta know when to Hold'em ;-) thanks

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually anything over 50yrs. old is taboo here in Fla. So even if you found a arrowhead penny on the beach you are not supposed to keep it. That is the way I understand the law to read, if I'm wrong let me know. With all the sunken Spanish galleons of Florida's coast they are just stacking the deck so the State can make money off people searching for treasure. I'm glad Gator left those shells there so no one will ever be able to see them again.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will never see a halo above my head.But if you ever see me walking a beach in florida if you look closely you may see the shine of a celt escaping my pocket.Theres some laws that just dont apply to me.When i break them ill deal with the shame in my own way.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
You will never see a halo above my head.But if you ever see me walking a beach in florida if you look closely you may see the shine of a celt escaping my pocket.Theres some laws that just dont apply to me.When i break them ill deal with the shame in my own way.

I agree totally. I don't think this puts horns on our head.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would seem that any level headed human being with love for history should rather see historical and prehistoric items preserved rather than destroyed.
This is just my opinion but I would imagine after some time goes by and enough people realize that being a squeaky wheel is only going to draw negative attention... this will drift far enough away from the bureaucrats desks to allow rational judgement to be used rather than a blanket of knee jerk reactions.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
It would seem that any level headed human being with love for history should rather see historical and prehistoric items preserved rather than destroyed. This is just my opinion but I would imagine after some time goes by and enough people realize that being a squeaky wheel is only going to draw negative attention... this will drift far enough away from the bureaucrats desks to allow rational judgement to be used rather than a blanket of knee jerk reactions.
Im not sure that I understand what you mean. I'll twirl your words around in my fragile mind a bit longer. In most circumstances, the squeaky wheel is known for receiving grease, or positive attention. Although, I do know that isn't always the case. I'm not sure if my tactic would help in the artifact world but it would be a start. My tactic isn't mine at all, it is Instead, Dr. Martin Luther King's. Civil disobedience, in my opinion, is the only way to make a noticeable change. Picking up an artifact that has long been removed from its context is not a crime. It's not! Look up "crime" in an old dictionary. I can't remember the definition word for word but, crime negatively affects or has potential to negatively affect others. Surface hunting, in my opinion, has been turned into a crime for the sake of simplicity. Artifact hunting does have its line. Surface hunting harms no one, mound digging does. The easy out for law officials is to outlaw the whole kit and caboodle. It's a lazy man's way of dealing with what's ethical and what's not. On the ethical side of the line, we need not abide by the law. In fact, we should try to get caught. We should create a headache for the enforcer of these stupid laws. Prohibition is another example of how breaking laws can change laws. We just don't have the backing in numbers that liquor drinkers did. Any way.....off my soap box.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply put... I meant, anything brought to the attention of government officials is likely to bring new restrictions.
When was the last time you heard of the government stepping in and giving more freedoms?
Heck.. Spitting on the sidewalk is illegal in many places but when was the last time you heard of someone being ticketed for it?
Now start putting groups of people together to push for the rights to spit on the sidewalk and I bet tickets start getting written

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Simply put... I meant, anything brought to the attention of government officials is likely to bring new restrictions. When was the last time you heard of the government stepping in and giving more freedoms? Heck.. Spitting on the sidewalk is illegal in many places but when was the last time you heard of someone being ticketed for it? Now start putting groups of people together to push for the rights to spit on the sidewalk and I bet tickets start getting written
I got ya! Lots of wild laws are still on the books. In NY jumping from a building is punishable by death. Here in good ol' NC, if I'm first at a 4 way stop, by law I'm supposed to fire my gun into the air. It's a friendly warning to horse traffic! Spitting on sidewalks is illegal here also. Lots of those laws made perfect sense at one point in time. I have spent many hours studying history. So many hours that I can see through most of these crazy laws. George Washington found spitting offensive. Between GW and the tuberculosis epidemic, the spitting law adds up. As I read history, I place myself in the era of my study. Finding and keeping arrowheads isn't criminal. I've tried to justify the law. It can't be done as long as we stay on the surface. I'm not downing you for not breaking the law Gator! Honestly, my hats off to you. Their is definitely nothing wrong with avoiding trouble. I'm just a red blooded rebel with resentment towards authority and laziness. Criminalizing surface hunting is our authority publicly being lazy. It's snowing here! I could type for days. Sorry about the soap box!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread