Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look like Cones to me.

Here's a couple of pics of mine. All personal finds.

Attachments

• Artifact Pictures 128.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 128.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 538
  • Artifact Pictures 083.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 083.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 532

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
KYheadhunter--- killer, killer, killer grouping of a not so common artifact. Man that is awesome! What region where they found in?? Unreal!

Mr. Dorkfish--- killer grouping as usual! Do not tell me that you found that gorget and definitely do not show me some close up pics of it (whatever you do!!)

I will never forget when I took my cousin hunting on the river. He said "look at this ball bearing, it got split perfectly in half" needless to say it was a hemitite cone and a perfect one as well. He did not believe me until I showed him a few in some publications.

Killer Fellas!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I didn't find the Gorget. I bought that off of Billy Hillen a long time ago at one of the ASO shows in Columbus. I had wanted a nice Gorget for a long time and he had a reasoanble price on it and it was from Scioto county and found by a local collector, so I went ahead and got it from him. I also just realized that I have never taken any really good pictures of it. I guess I better get on the ball. lol

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Yes, Do Steve, looks a beauty.. ::) hehe !!!

Ok now I've never seen any Cones before, so these are new to me, for all I know I might have picked some up & just threw them back, Oh Gawd !!! :(
Can you fine gents explain to us greenhorns what they were used for?
Thankyou, I just love learning about new Artifacts..

Molly... :) Btw Fine looking Cones guys :thumbsup:

Attachments

• agar.jpg
    agar.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 510
  • agar.jpg
    agar.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 507

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly, your guess is as good as mine as to what Cones were used for. I tried to do some research was on the net and never really found anything much at all. I saw everything from Problematicals to Fetish Stones. My theory, though probably not correct either, is that they were effigies of the mounds.

Until one is found in context we will probably never know exactly what they were used for and like a lot of other artifacts we will just have to surmise and use our imaginations.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Thankyou for that Steve, I'm not sure if they were Tools or a type of Game stone?
I'll do some asking/research, I'll get back to ya'll.

Molly. :)

Attachments

• agar.jpg
    agar.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 507
  • agar.jpg
    agar.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 491

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great looking cones. Like Molly, I have never heard of them. It kind of scares me, because I could swear that I have seen a ton of them where I hunt. This opens the door to another item to look for. Is there a certain attribute that I should look for in order to identify it as a cone? Again.... great pictures.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Airborne- cones, I believe, are largely attributed to the Hopewellian culture. If I remember correctly you live in North Carolina (please forgive me if I am incorrect) which would probably place you largely out of their distribution. Maybe someone else can weigh in on the topic.
Nonetheless, if you find one...............I will be jealous. Happy Hunting!
Chuck

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohio said:
Airborne- cones, I believe, are largely attributed to the Hopewellian culture. If I remember correctly you live in North Carolina (please forgive me if I am incorrect) which would probably place you largely out of their distribution. Maybe someone else can weigh in on the topic.
Nonetheless, if you find one...............I will be jealous. Happy Hunting!
Chuck

Thanks for the info Ohio. I wish I lived in North Carolina, as it seems like they have better looking arrowheads there :D I live in Northern Virginia. That's probably out of the cone finding range as well. Interesting stuff a guy can learn around here. Thanks again

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok well I've asked a few experts on the matter. Apparently there doesn't seem to be any actually use for Cones, seems that SOME Hematite
(and other odd shaped ones) were made from grinding to obtain the Iron powder for paint & other uses, but that doesn't explain some of the Hardstone ones. Has I originally suspected, probably used for Gaming peices.
It's thought ( I hope I don't cause another week-long debating Thread here, ::) ) But, it seems that not all the Cones pictured are Artifacts,
they are split spherical small nodules that occur in some iron formations. Other collectors have found numberous peices with the utter rinds
still intact. So some are natural Geofacts & some Artifacts, now don't ask me which ones are which, I am hoping my knowlegable friend ( a very long time collector, will write a piece on these fascinating objects, determining which are natural & which are definate Artifacts.
So Hunters keep all you find, until we find out more definatly which are which..

Molly. :)

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 663
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 675

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
DorkFish said:
Look like Cones to me.

Here's a couple of pics of mine. All personal finds.

Steve,

Here is something I found in a field a couple of years ago. It kinda resembles the one in your first pic on the far right. It could be just another heavy rock. ;D

Brian

Attachments

• Picture 798.jpg
    Picture 798.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 399
  • Picture 799.jpg
    Picture 799.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 399
  • Picture 798.jpg
    Picture 798.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 400
  • Picture 799.jpg
    Picture 799.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 389

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Holy smokes! I would call most of those just rocks, makes me sick to think I may have stepped over dozens of those and never bothered to pick them up ???

OP
OP
K

KYHeadHunter

Jul 16, 2007
Kentucky
I have no idea what these were used for. I'm just lucky that I pick up everything that looks interesting or some of these would still be out in the field. Here are a couple of more rocks I have that may or may not be cones. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC01825.JPG
    DSC01825.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC01826.JPG
    DSC01826.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC01828.JPG
    DSC01828.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 331

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never ceases to amaze me, I'd never seen Cones before, went hunting today late afternoon & found one. The farmer came over for a chat & said, he'd seen lots in all his fields.

Molly. ;D

Attachments

• Cone-NC..jpg
    Cone-NC..jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 362
  • Cone.jpg
    Cone.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 366

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions