Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve, that's a beauty Pick..
Matt not many of us are familar with these Artifacts, can you help us identify what's an Artifact & what's not. What do we look for?

I mean, when I take my collection to a show, ::) I don't want a table full of geofacts. lol.
Please try to explain to us...

Molly. ???

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Molly as with identifying any artifact, you have to look for the signs of human modification..not shape. I will try to make a more in-depth post on it later, when I can set up my camera to take pics. EVERYONE picks up geofacts and other items, mistaking them for artifacts. Me too, I brought home a buttload of limestone and shale concretions years ago thinking they were manufacturing....as a matter of fact, I probably still have some around here somewhere..lol. For the record..that piece that pick is showing looks like one killer-mo-diller cone!!! Jeeeeeeez, what's the material pickaway?

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Pick, that looks like one amazing piece! I have fondled several cones, but all of the best ones I have seen seem to be made of hematite.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the Cone I found is an Artifact, it would show signs of use, would be smooth on the base, it isn't. Oh well...
Yes Thankyou Matt, lots of ppl aren't sure or have enough info on Cones, a few lessons sure would be helpful.

Molly. :thumbsup:

A useful link to explain what Hematite is..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hematite.

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 249
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 246
OP
OP
K

KYHeadHunter

Jul 16, 2007
Kentucky
In the last pic I posted the black rock looks similar to this abrading stone I found in an artifact book. Is this what mine is?

Attachments

• DSC01838.JPG
    DSC01838.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 207

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
The arrow on the map.
Detector(s) used
My children and a good stick.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really cool!
I have a polished hematite I found near a midden but its not as nice as that...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread