JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I spent several hours detecting a local Confederate camp. I have hunted this particular spot in the past and have only come away with two bullets and a couple of broken friction primers, so I told myself going in that I would be happy with just one Civil War item.
I thought I would continue my recent strategy of, when detecting "hunted out" spots, go to trash.....so I started my hunt right at the slope of the road's side ditch. There were plenty of cans and lots junk metal but after about 45 minutes I dug a very nice 50 cal. Wilkinson bullet, a Confederate Artillery A button followed along with 3 complete friction primers, a pistol ball, and a piece of grape shot. All were found within 15 feet of the road itself. I found one friction primer post away from the ditch area.
I'm always excited to find Civil War items, but Confederate buttons are very hard for me to find, so I'm pretty happy today!
--JB

Attachments

• IMG_2927.PNG
    IMG_2927.PNG
    4 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2922.jpg
    IMG_2922.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2929.PNG
    IMG_2929.PNG
    3.7 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2928.PNG
    IMG_2928.PNG
    4.2 MB · Views: 86
Upvote 21
Those are awesome finds! Would love to have the chance to dig an encampment.

Friction primers and A button matches perfect. Hope there is a cannon ball left for you!

Congratulations on your Confederate button and awesome hunt. Glad you didn’t give up and happy you proved that hunted out parks are just a myth. Now go back and get you some more using a different strategy or a different setting on your Fisher.

D8B5576B-F2BE-47A8-96E7-FA1CBE6E1696.jpeg

Great finds. CW camps are my FAVORITE places to hunt. As a great man once said " there like a box of chocolots, no never know what your going to get"

Great finds. CW camps are my FAVORITE places to hunt. As a great man once said " there like a box of chocolots, no never know what your going to get"

Think I found him...

F3A4E305-1B56-430E-9647-15DDD4646C54.jpeg

Great button! Putting in the time paid off well for you. Congratulations!

Congrats on the nice finds and the success of your hunting strategy. I know that you are thrilled with that button, it’s really a sweet find.

Good luck sir.

Last edited:
Fantastic finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Wow, great finds.

Those are awesome finds! Would love to have the chance to dig an encampment.
I have to thank the veteran relic hunters around here, they don't mind sharing 20 or 30 year info. ...I'm just having fun finding what they left behind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back