Confederate Enfield Bullet w/ Wooden Plug Still In It

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Wood Plug.JPG
    Wood Plug.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,691
  • Wood Plug2.JPG
    Wood Plug2.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,781
  • Enfield.JPG
    Enfield.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,654
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Re: Enfield w/ Wood Plug

Nice keeper for sure :o
RD

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Enfield w/ Wood Plug

Thanks RD66, yeah I have been searching this area for months and have found alot of musketballs and 3 ringers but this was the first Enfield I found at this site and it was awesome that it had the wooden plug still in it! I didnt believe it at first. Thanks for takin a look ;)

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse my ignorance , but what was the purpose of the wood plug . ? Mac

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Mac232 said:
Excuse my ignorance , but what was the purpose of the wood plug . ? Mac

Initially, the bullet is a loose fit in the bore, for fast easy loading. On firing, the wood plug is driven into the base of the bullet, acting like a wedge to force the soft lead into the rifling grooves. The Minnie balls didn't use a plug, just had a hollow base that the expanding gasses forced into the rifling.

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find, I've got a bunch of enfields but rarely do they still have the plug. Be careful because it will eventually dry out and fall out so put a small dot of elmers in if it does. Also remember to check inside the base for stamped numbers or letters,not all enfields are created equal

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, Sentinel, Congrats!!

;) RR

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also called - smooth sided Pritchett bullet. (Favoured by the sharp shooters)

I like these old lead bullets, all mine have red clay plugs or nothing. Never seen a wooden version. RARE & EXCELLENT FIND ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sentinal,
Very unusual find. Thanks for sharing, and the awesome photos too.
HH,
MM

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found a couple of the Enfields with the Rosewood plugs. If you carefully remove it and look in with a magnifying glass you will see what kind it is. Mine have '57' but there are others and they determine the rarity/price of the bullet.

Good Job and Happy Hunting!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RockyDig said:
I have found a couple of the Enfields with the Rosewood plugs. If you carefully remove it and look in with a magnifying glass you will see what kind it is. Mine have '57' but there are others and they determine the rarity/price of the bullet.

Good Job and Happy Hunting!!

There are loads of other letters & number combinations in the bottom. No-one is sure what they meant. Here is one of the US leading experts opinion:

The smooth sided Pritchett bullets are often encountered with numbers or letters in the base cavities. Sometimes, there is both a number and a letter such as L2; other bullets have various letters and some have star or asterisk designs. Some bullets have been recovered in America with US or CS stampings in the base cavities (there is some skepticism as to if the markings are original to the Civil War period). Bullets are found with the letter P, with interlocking P's, with q, with variants to include P., q., etc. There are at least 35 different base cavity markings known. The L markings include L, L . , L1, L2, etc up to L 12. Numbers such as 55 or 57 indicate the calibre of the bullet (not necessarily accurate designations).

There are several theories regarding the markings, but I am not positive that there is any period documentation to confirm any of the theories. Over 100 smooth-sided Pritchett bullets were recovered from the wreck of the blockade runner Modern Greece in 1962. Those bullets have several different cavity stamps. The bullets also varied in cavity depth, bullet diameters, and overall weight. Unfortunately, the team that processed the recovered bullets did not correlate cavity markings to the dimensions and weights.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
I never knew about the wood plug, great info thanks for sharing that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread