Confederate Enfield Bullet w/ Wooden Plug Still In It

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Wood Plug.JPG
    Wood Plug.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,693
  • Wood Plug2.JPG
    Wood Plug2.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,783
  • Enfield.JPG
    Enfield.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,656
Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Cool find, {Sentinel}!

Love seeing the relics you pull up.

Thanks for sharing.

SomeGuy said:
Mac232 said:
Excuse my ignorance , but what was the purpose of the wood plug . ? Mac

Initially, the bullet is a loose fit in the bore, for fast easy loading. On firing, the wood plug is driven into the base of the bullet, acting like a wedge to force the soft lead into the rifling grooves. The Minnie balls didn't use a plug, just had a hollow base that the expanding gasses forced into the rifling.

Thanks for the explanation, SomeGuy.

I was also clueless. ???

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done...I have half a dozen Enfield rounds with the plugs still in. I also have another half dozen with the iron plugs and with the wooden nose plugs. Granted mine are not Confederate...found in Nova Scotia...British...

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find Sentinel....Are you going to try to remove the plug,the suspense is killing me.Congrat's and best of luck to ya!!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank all of ya'll for the compliments. And I don't know CivilMan, I might wait to see if the plug dries up enough to slip out before I try to force it out. I dont want to damage the wooden plug too much. But I am curious as to if there is a symbol or not in the base.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Very nice collectors item for sure. I've learned a lot from this post. Way to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions