CONFEDERATE GOLD IN DANVILLE, VA.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS, Do you actually think I would contact the President of the United States and other dignitaries, if I considered my research not adequate? Contacting and revealing information is two different issues. Like you and I have made contact here on the forum but I have not shared my research with you. And I never will.
The point is NOT what you considered adequate but that all these people, agencies, and organizations DID NOT.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, Samuel, you are among the minority, considering all the people, government agencies, and other organizations contacted by Franklin that definitely not positive about his presented "research".
Go out and buy copies of J Frank Carrol's "CONFEDERATE GOLD IN DANVILLE" and A J Hannah's "FLIGHT INTO OBLIVION" "novelized history" of Davis and the treasury train escape from the Union, and you too can become an "expert"
If the author is correct with all the facts and the exact locations of the buried treasures, all of it would had been found by now, by the many people searching for them.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point is NOT what you considered adequate but that all these people, agencies, and organizations DID NOT.

They have not even seen my research.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, Samuel, you are among the minority, considering all the people, government agencies, and other organizations contacted by Franklin that definitely not positive about his presented "research".
Go out and buy copies of J Frank Carrol's "CONFEDERATE GOLD IN DANVILLE" and A J Hannah's "FLIGHT INTO OBLIVION" "novelized history" of Davis and the treasury train escape from the Union, and you too can become an "expert"

Those two stories conflict with one another. J. Frank Carroll said there was over 5 tons of silver still buried from the Confederate Treasury. While, A.J. Hannah said all of the money was accounted for? At least as far as he knew it. I loved the way A.J. Hannah wrote his book. As well as J. Frank Carroll. Both were good authors. If you take the time to actually read the books. J. Frank Carroll did agree with every location we thought where the treasure may be. He said he knew where it was buried. But I do not think he knew. I have dug 23 feet deep under a parking lot looking for the Mexican Silver Dollars. My partner had already dug the exact spot with J. Frank Carroll. They dug as far as a back-hoe could dig 14 feet. But they did not go to the bottom of the well. So my "X" partner, his wife and my brother contracted with the Church Officials and dug to the bottom of the well. Just to make sure the treasure was not there. Actually we dug 14 feet and then had to renegotiate with the church officials to dig deeper. We had to make the hole wider and sink the excavator under the pavement to get to 23 feet. But the job was finished. The Mexican Silver was not there. At least not down that particular well. All though we did find one of the "KEGS" the Mexican Silver Dollars had been in and one of Secretary of the Treasury, George Alfred Trenholm's 2-gallon jug that use to contain his peach brandy.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS,
Don't you think that after reading the newspaper back then, that people would had found the treasures? I do.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It is not known if that alleged newspaper existed back then, and so far have not seen any proof that it did.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe everyone that read the newspaper, didn't even believe that a treasure existed, because they would have probably found the treasure. For the most part I don't even think people even looked. There were a few who actually looked, they didn't look well enough. I can relate with Franklin, as I have contacted some of the same people that Franklin has talked too. They do not even care about the treasure or any research that you have accumulated. I believe there are a few people in Danville that know for sure,but they are not speaking about it! They just change the
subject, thinking you may forget. I just want the information that says the maps or treasure are in the graveyards. The beech does not tell me the treasure is buried there. It does tell that there is a treasure though, but not buried there. Everyone wants you to believe it's buried in the graveyards but that is just a cover story.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe everyone that read the newspaper, didn't even believe that a treasure existed, because they would have probably found the treasure. For the most part I don't even think people even looked. There were a few who actually looked, they didn't look well enough. I can relate with Franklin, as I have contacted some of the same people that Franklin has talked too. They do not even care about the treasure or any research that you have accumulated. I believe there are a few people in Danville that know for sure,but they are not speaking about it! They just change the
subject, thinking you may forget. I just want the information that says the maps or treasure are in the graveyards. The beech does not tell me the treasure is buried there. It does tell that there is a treasure though, but not buried there. Everyone wants you to believe it's buried in the graveyards but that is just a cover story.

William, Here is a little tidbit of information that may get you to searching in the right direction. Where President Davis' train stopped on it's way to Danville was owned by the Coleman Family. (Actually the President's Train stopped two times but only one time is recorded by History.) The three cemeteries in Danville and over 400 acres around it was owned by the Coleman Family. Where the President's Train blew a boiler while leaving Danville for Greensboro, N.C. was owned by the Coleman Family. A little fuel for thought. As for the beech tree in question there were six more but only five exist beside the beech tree in the National Cemetery. You have to read all six existing trees to get a complete story of the Confederate Treasury. I have been over each and every tree with a fine tooth comb or microscope so to speak. It took months of blinding work. The information everyone seeks is there on those six beech and holly trees. But who else has the patients to put thousands of hours into searching each and every tree even it's limbs? No one but someone that wanted to solve this mystery and that is yours truly.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe everyone that read the newspaper, didn't even believe that a treasure existed...
Once again, no evidence has been presented that a Southern newspaper dated April 1865 with the article"
"Three days before President Jefferson Davis left Richmond, Provost Marshall and high member of the KGC, Sam McCubbin, took $8 Million on gold specie by train out of Richmond to some point South".
Both RACINE JOURNAL(May 10, 1865) and THE NEW YORK TIMES (May 1, 1865) dispute McCubbin leaving three days before Davis, and it has been established that McCubbin was NEVER a Provost Marshall, but was interrogated by the UNION Provost Marshall on the Saturday before May 1, 1865, providing details of the flight of Davis & Cabinet and the treasury train.
The reluctance of one to produce this alleged newspaper page, complete with masthead, seems to indicated that ot never existed in April 1865, but was mist likely mentioned in a elaborated treasure story based on the treasury train, but written many years later and appearing in a newspaper or treasure magazine.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this information is so awesome! I have to say I didn't know all of this! It's all so interesting. Franklin is there anyway you could post any of the other beech trees without telling the location? I'd like to compare the symbols with the one in Danville federal cemetery. The tree in Danville does tell the story of the three trains that came to Danville. I'm just wondering if they have the same symbols or not? I have a beech tree close by but it just have the initials BF, maybe a small cache nearby. The neighbor said I could look around.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In an April 16.2017 interview with ROANOKE TIMES reporter. Tiffany Holland, local Danville historian and friend of the late J Frank Carroll, Danny Rickets, stated he had seen and researched enough historical documentation to conclude that there is no Confederate treasure in Danville:
" I don't think there was much gold left in Danville, the officers handed out a lot of the gold in exchange for Confederate money to help the soldiers when all hope of saving the Confederacy was lost. If gold was buried, I think who buried it dug it up later. You don't bury gold and forget it".

Tiffany Holland adds:
"The book "CONFEDERATE TREASURE IN DANVILLE" by the late J Frank Carroll...explores theories of where the treasure could be...merging historical fact with incredible, if improvable legends. They tell of "talking trees" sabotage and a secret society charged with protecting the treasure".
I believe a poster on this thread is familiar with both Rickets and Holland.

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In an April 16.2017 interview with ROANOKE TIMES reporter. Tiffany Holland, local Danville historian and friend of the late J Frank Carroll, Danny Rickets, stated he had seen and researched enough historical documentation to conclude that there is no Confederate treasure in Danville:
" I don't think there was much gold left in Danville, the officers handed out a lot of the gold in exchange for Confederate money to help the soldiers when all hope of saving the Confederacy was lost. If gold was buried, I think who buried it dug it up later.You don't bury gold and forget it".

I do not know of any gold was handed out to soldiers in exchange for confederate currency. They tried it one time in Augusta, Georgia. They had to shut it down the first day. That night they made off with millions in gold and it disappeared. All exchanges of Confederate Currency was for silver coin. Even in Richmond. John Hendren knocked off one of the heads of a Keg of the Trenholm Mexican Silver Dollars. The citizens of Richmond refused the Mexican Silver. They wanted US Coins only. In mid-March the Confederate Treasury was trying to raise the $8 Million in Gold Specie that Sam McCubbin hauled away before the collapse of Richmond. If you paid your taxes during the war, and the taxes was in the millions of dollars. If you paid with gold you only had to pay a fraction of the actual tax. Why? Because the Confederate Government wanted all the gold they could get at the end of the war. They even excepted enough scrap gold from plantations and rare gold coins, jewelry, silver plate anything they could get their hands on. The four wagons of donated silver plate, gold watches, gold coins and other donations were lost near Farmville, Virginia. No explanation of what ever happened to it. The jewelry in Georgia was only five gallons.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have tried to make contact with Holland and Ricketts both. I wonder why? I don't really believe they are in the know,regardless of there research. My research involved boots on the ground and field work. I've personally found a pyramid rock,(Albert Pikke's face) which led me to the Egypt brick (at the bottom of the treasure site) which led me to the capstone on top of the sight. Also when out exploring I found a empty shell of a tortoise turtle, which meant that I was going the wrong way! Also close by there is also a painted white rock with George Washington's face.How cool is that! I can't tell you where that is located, that would be to easy! LOL

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
So are you saying that Danny Rickets, local Danville historian and fried of J Frank Carroll whose fact merged with legend book of which you often refer, is wrong?
It is quite possible that Carroll also got many things wrong with his merging of fact with fictional legend and lore.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if they are wrong. I'm saying that they don't know one way or the other. I believe they haven't done enough research. If they had they would have found some clues than I could agree with them fully! I think neither one wants anybody to find a treasure!

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... In mid-March the Confederate Treasury was trying to raise the $8 Million in Gold Specie that Sam McCubbin hauled away before the collapse of Richmond...
"Trying to raise the $8 Million in Gold Specie" in mid-March? 2 1/2 weeks before the April 2, 1865 Fall of Richmond?
How and by whom was this $8 Million raised in such a short time and the source?
This McCubbin tale keeps getting more suspect by the telling like a poorly written filler story for a pulp treasure magazine.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I believe these stories or not. There's more to all these stories, than meets the eye. I hope that the story is true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread