CONFEDERATE GOLD IN DANVILLE, VA.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Research the May 24, 1865 incident at Chenault Crossroads/ Chenault Plantation, Washington, Georgia where $251,029.00 of the remaining hard gold and silver specie of the Confederate treasury train was stolen by marauders, and the torture if Chenault and members of his household by Union General Edward A Wild trying to find what remained of the CSA treasury.
This is a true story concerning the CSA Treasury train.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read this story too. I still believe that there is some type of treasure located in Danville! I actually started just looking for the supposedly kegs of silver. Everyone that I have talked too, act the same way. It has always seemed they were trying to hide something. I'm at the point I have no idea what is buried at the location! If things do not get better, we may get a chance to dig all of these sites. It's getting close for the South to secede from the United States.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research the May 24, 1865 incident at Chenault Crossroads/ Chenault Plantation, Washington, Georgia where $251,029.00 of the remaining hard gold and silver specie of the Confederate treasury train was stolen by marauders, and the torture if Chenault and members of his household by Union General Edward A Wild trying to find what remained of the CSA treasury.
This is a true story concerning the CSA Treasury train.

You do confuse the stories together as do historians. None of the CSA Treasury was robbed at the Chennault Plantation. All of that was Virginia Bank Funds.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
As you have posted so many times, historians are wrong, I'm wrong, everybody is wrong while you're always right. :laughing7:
How about posting that Southern newspaper dated April 1865 with the high KGC member, McCubbin and the $8 Million gold specie train story. :wink:
So far, this alleged McCubbin tale is like those "talking trees" in the Danville National Cemetery- all bark and NO bite.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You do confuse the stories together as do historians. None of the CSA Treasury was robbed at the Chennault Plantation. All of that was Virginia Bank Funds.

It appears that you, my friend Franklin, may be wrong.
Washington, Georgia - Lost Confederate Gold
Where were the Virginia Bank Funds stored prior to April 2, 1865 in Richmond? The Confederate Treasury.
www.brucewetterau.com/the-gold-vanishes.html

*NOTE* Read paragraph 5, for the list of CSA treasury assets, including the Virginia Bank Funds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I am never wrong? The money robbed was Virginia Bank Fund Gold and Silver.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS, I won't argue with you about the finer points of the matter. If you read all historians records they call the robbery at the Chennault Plantation as the robbery of the Virginia Bank Fund. But in another part I can agree with you that some Confederate Treasury was taken even more than the Virginia Bank Fund. I know exactly how much was taken of the Virginia Bank Fund and the exact amount that was taken from the CSA Treasury. The historians and J. Frank Carroll alike say that when the treasure left Richmond the Virginia Bank Fund was keep in a separate railroad car from the CSA Treasury money. All though this is not correct either. There was something called the Strother factor involved that mixed both the Virginia Bank Fund and the CSA Treasury money in Washington, Georgia. I will save all of that information until I can recover some of the money. I know of at least four robberies of money around Washington Georgia but the historians only reference the Chennault Plantation Robbery. Then again the robbery did not even occur at the Chennault Plantation.

I can tell you something else that happened that the historians don't know about. The $108,000 in silver coin that was paid to the CSA Troops at the Savannah River. Where did that silver come from? The CSA Treasury did not have that amount of US Silver. The Silver Coin came from the Virginia Bank Fund money and was exchanged by the CSA Government for bullion. That is how bullion ended up with the Virginia Bank Fund money and the historians can not even explain how it happened. I have the documented information.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
While on the subject of documented information:
Why won't you post the alleged April 1865 Southern newspaper that contains that high KGC member Sam McCubbin and the fabulous $8 Million gold specie train that you claim the Confederate government was trying to raise 2 1/2 weeks before the Fall if Richmond?

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While on the subject of documented information:
Why won't you post the alleged April 1865 Southern newspaper that contains that high KGC member Sam McCubbin and the fabulous $8 Million gold specie train that you claim the Confederate government was trying to raise 2 1/2 weeks before the Fall if Richmond?

To tell you the truth ECS. I have not been able to find my copy. I have searched through about 12 linear feet of documents. Still I have a lot to search. I may have to do like you said. I may have to send to Richmond to see if I can get a copy of my original. But I may find it. I remember it did not spell out "McCubbin" it had in the article Mc?ub?in or something like that. It had question marks in the name and I had to research to find out his name. But I did have the article and left the original in Richmond. I saw a reference link to the newspaper on the Internet but when I clicked on it there was nothing there. It does exist.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... In mid-March the Confederate Treasury was trying to raise the $8 Million in Gold Specie that Sam McCubbin hauled away before the collapse of Richmond.
If you paid your taxes during the war, and the taxes was in the millions of dollars. If you paid with gold you only had to pay a fraction of the actual tax.
Why? Because the Confederate Government wanted all the gold they could get at the end of the war.
They even excepted enough scrap gold from plantations and rare gold coins, jewelry, silver plate anything they could get their hands on...
Trenholm's January 9, 1865 SPECIAL REPORT ON THE SUBJECT OF FINANCES, list the arrears of indebtedness of the Confederacy at $114,000,000.
https://docsouth.unc.rdu/imls/treasury/treasury.html

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trenholm's January 9, 1865 SPECIAL REPORT ON THE SUBJECT OF FINANCES, list the arrears of indebtedness of the Confederacy at $114,000,000.
https://docsouth.unc.rdu/imls/treasury/treasury.html

Yes but just because a country has debt does not mean that it does not have a reserve like Fort Knox. Hell the USA owes more than all citizens including the newborn can ever pay. But we still have a sizeable amount of bullion and gold coins on reserve. Plus we store a lot of gold for other countries around the world. I have all of the Confederate Treasury Records, letters and memos on a CD.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the 2 articles ECS suggested, I have come to generally agree about the disposition of the confederacy treasure. I have seen and read before from different sources. I started my search looking for the Mexican reales. I didn't know about any other treasure (gold, jewelry)that was missing. I did not know about the 8 million dollar story. I hope in due time that we can find out for sure.The site that I have found would be large enough to hold these 39 kegs of silver, anything else would be icing on the cake! LOL

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the 2 articles ECS suggested, I have come to generally agree about the disposition of the confederacy treasure. I have seen and read before from different sources. I started my search looking for the Mexican reales. I didn't know about any other treasure (gold, jewelry)that was missing. I did not know about the 8 million dollar story. I hope in due time that we can find out for sure.The site that I have found would be large enough to hold these 39 kegs of silver, anything else would be icing on the cake! LOL

J. Frank Carroll told in his book the size of space needed for the Mexican Silver Dollars. He said "A chasm 4 feet wide, 20 feet long and 6 feet deep. If you have ever dug any graves that would tell you it is a hole dug for three graves.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with Sears & Roebuck sales rep J Frank Carroll's "CONFEDERATE GOLD IN DANVILLE" is that he merged fact with legends and lore and then added his speculative theories into the mix, making it not the most accurate or reliable source.
As local Danville historian and friend of J Frank Carroll, Danny Rickets stated that he has seen enough historic documentation to believe there is no remaining Confederate treasure, adding: "I don't think there was much gold left in Danville...If gold was buried, I think who buried it dug it up later. You don't bury gold and forget it".
During Reconstruction, the people of the South went through hard times under Union occupation with carpet baggers and scalawags, and most likely these caches of hard species were dug up out of survival necessity.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading Carroll's book, I do not believe he actually knew where the treasure is located, that's why he wrote a book. As for Rickets, I believe he may know, he's maybe on the inside and he would say anything to cover up the story so no one would even look for the treasure!

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading Carroll's book, I do not believe he actually knew where the treasure is located, that's why he wrote a book. As for Rickets, I believe he may know, he's maybe on the inside and he would say anything to cover up the story so no one would even look for the treasure!

I know Danny Ricketts and his son did a lot of searching for the Confederate Gold around the George Washington High School in Danville. If they believe there is no CSA Gold why would they still be looking? Also I do know for a fact during the late 1950's graves were found in Danville that contained CSA Gold Bars. They were recovered after the discovery by the Diebrell Family. Heavy equipment and dump trucks were used all day and all night recovering the gold bars. I have yet to search that area to see if there is any more gold bars that could have been left by mistake. Also the Diebrell Family went on to what is today a company doing Billions of $$$$$$$$$$$$ in trade around the World.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have copies of J. Frank Carroll's letters to and from Dr. James Robinson at Virginia Tech University and them talking about where the treasure was buried. But whether the treasure is actually there or not, I do not know for a fact. It could be there is a good possibility. Even the tree with the signs and carvings says it is at that spot. But, I do not believe either one. I have another location I would like to check out some day. I can not get permission to dig where those two gentlemen say it is buried and the tree carvings say it is buried. I can get permission at my other location some day if and when I come into some money. So maybe never.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread