Confederate Gold Stories (Two)

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol (That bad???)

We Are Not Immune: Dan Brown, the South, and a Really, Really Dumb Conspiracy Theory Posted: by Ryan September 22nd, 2009 under Books, History and Culture, Reading the South. Tags: Books, Things We Don't Recommend http://www.yellowhammerpress.com/2009/09/22/we-are-not-immune-dan-brown-the-south-and-a-re ally-really-dumb-conspiracy-theory/

Unless you live under a rock, you're at least dimly aware that Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol was released recently. Brown kicked off the esoteric conspiracy craze in 2003 with The Da Vinci Code, a book so unbearably, ploddingly awful that AO Scott of the NY Times called it "Dan Brown's best-selling primer on how not to write an English sentence". It's easy to take a swipe at Brown for his wooden prose or his formulaic plotting. But for better or worse (almost certainly worse), his novel kick-started a trend from which, sadly, the South is not immune.

And so we come to a book by Bob Brewer and Warren Getler alternately titled Rebel Gold: One Man's Quest to Crack the Code Behind the Secret Treasure of the Confederacy and the less unwieldy Shadow of the Sentinel: One Man's Quest to Find the Hidden Treasure of the Confederacy. The publisher seems to have tried out both titles to see which one would stick. Regardless, it's an ostensibly nonfiction book about a retiree who allegedly comes from a long line of treasure guardians and sets out to decipher their intricate code of carvings on rocks and trees in the Arkansas wilderness.

The alleged treasure belongs to the Knights of the Golden Circle, an order who, as the book would have us believe, was ultimately behind the Civil War and who ran the Confederacy as a sort of shadow government. I'm not joking. After the war was all but over, the KGC apparently decided to squirrel away vast amounts of gold in the Arkansas hills in order to finance the next war of secession, which they believed would come relatively soon. And so, we are faced with a book in which a retiree and his wife chase around the woods with Radio Shack metal detectors and unearth Mason jars full of coins. Wheee.

I'm going to be completely honest here: I didn't finish this book. I couldn't. That's why this post is so delinquent; I kept putting it off for another day, hoping to finish this book and be able to write a review of it so punishingly snarky that it would make the authors weep with shame and self-reproach. But I couldn't. I thumbed the last 100 pages or so, which seems to involve some sort of Confederate helicopter. Again, not joking. What I did read (the first 200 pages or so) was a deadly mixture of terrible narrative pacing, absurd logical leaps, and brutal and oppressive boredom.

We are expected to believe the following, among other gems:

1. An immensely wealthy group was secretly financing the Confederate government. At a certain point they decided that, rather than pouring their remaining funds into the existing war, that they would tuck it away and wait for the next national bloodbath.

2. This immensely wealthy group chose to stash its money in Mason jars in the Arkansas wilderness rather than use, say, foreign banks.

3. The Knights of the Golden Circle entrusted penniless backwoodsmen with the treasure's safety.

4. That, while much of the country was starving and their own families were living at subsistence level, these backwoodsmen dutifully guarded a vast hoard of wealth that could have made them rich beyond imagination, and did so out of some fierce loyalty to a twisted version of Lost Cause ideology.

5. That there is some sort of massive cache of Confederate gold stored somewhere in Arizona, but if you get near it, helicopters will come and shoo you away.

So. Needless to say, this book doesn't contribute in any meaningful way to the discourse on the Southern condition. It is a poorly written and dreadfully boring thing and relies solely upon conjecture and the reader's ability to suspend disbelief in order to get the least bit of traction. So why am I writing about it?

Because, as sad as it may be, it's an effort to tie Southern culture (or at least elements of Southern history) to a larger milieu of broad, vaguely Masonic conspiracy theories. In this case, the Civil War just happens to be a convenient target. Brewer and Getler wield Southern history like a weapon and use its history in the cheapest of ways (the cover of the book is so low-rent as to be offensive). They are essentially cashing in on America's vague fascination with the otherness of Southern culture and landscape and cobbling together a silly conspiracy as a means to sell books.

I don't begrudge them their right to capitalism. I just wish they would take it somewhere else.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dixie, Bob Brewer actually did find mason jars filled with gold coins. His partner (not Getler) went behind his back and found a chest filled with gold and became wealthy. So who buried these caches? How do you explain that away?
I agree with one thing; its obvious the South will never rise again so why not reveal the location of all these hiding places before they are lost forever?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SWR here are the details; in 1994 Bob Brewer and Michael Griffith went to Bromide, OK to search for a KGC cache that they had clues to the location. They found the site and left to get permission and digging equipment. The area is a ranch owned by Ceci and Jo Anne Gillespie of Tulsa. Griffith wen back without Brewer and dug up the chest. He didn't share the proceeds with Brewer. Griffith (a school teacher) bought a $400,000 house where he lives now. Everybody knows anout this story. Where were you?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning my friends: Folowing the thread.

swr, actually the TN forum is probably just as valid as 99% of the references quoted. Most references given are based upon what others have supposedly found or arrived at through other partially questionable sources or data. Even official records are subject to personal interpretation to an extent. It is mentally and physically impossible to sift through all to get at the real truth, not the inferred or imagined one.

Any simple court proceedings or basic psychology class will clearly demonstrate this.

snicker.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KGC4Dixie. It's apparent now why you don't believe Bob Brewer since you admit you did not finish reading his book. If you had, you'd have found that "Rebel Gold"s bibliography has more "reputable" sources than most other non-fiction books have. I suggest you and the other naysayers take a few hours and read the War of the Rebellion Records which contain the keywords "Knights of the Golden Circle", "O.A.K." (Order of American Knights), and "Knights of the Columbian Star". Then read John Surratt's Diary which is available online. When you get finished, holler at me and I will be happy to refer you to more sources to help in your education of the Civil War. :)
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
KGC4Dixie

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
Texas Jay said:
KGC4Dixie. It's apparent now why you don't believe Bob Brewer since you admit you did not finish reading his book. If you had, you'd have found that "Rebel Gold"s bibliography has more "reputable" sources than most other non-fiction books have. I suggest you and the other naysayers take a few hours and read the War of the Rebellion Records which contain the keywords "Knights of the Golden Circle", "O.A.K." (Order of American Knights), and "Knights of the Columbian Star". Then read John Surratt's Diary which is available online. When you get finished, holler at me and I will be happy to refer you to more sources to help in your education of the Civil War. :)
~Texas Jay

"4. That, while much of the country was starving and their own families were living at subsistence level, these backwoodsmen dutifully guarded a vast hoard of wealth that could have made them rich beyond imagination, and did so out of some fierce loyalty to a twisted version of Lost Cause ideology."

Jay, I believe this to be an interesting article with spurious :tongue3: claims for support as this one above. People of dedication have always been trusted with possessions not their own. The article is packed with self-generated doubts of undue skepticism in my opinion. How could any have ever been trusted with Ark of the Covenant as long as anyone else might make a buck off it seems to be the author's position of wealth.

Gary

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Texas Jay;
Has anyone managed to find the original hand written diary which was supposed to have been penned by John Surratt? I personally would be interested in reading his thoughts, as he was a very devout Roman Catholic and remained so for his entire life, however if the diary contents cannot be positively identified as that of John Surratt's then I have no interest in the diary.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi LAMAR. The copy of Surratt's Diary that is published online was kept in the Library of Congress but it is also an edited version of Surratt's own Diary. Like you, I'd love to read the original but, to my knowledge, it has never been found. Dion Haco, probably a Yankee, "Edited and Arranged" the book and removed passages that he felt were "without any comments worthy of note." Maybe they weren't worthy of note to him but I'd sure like to read them for myself. Even with these passages removed, this book contains many historically important details about the Knights of the Golden Circle, John Wilkes Booth and his escape plan, the ways the Confederacy got around the blockades, the KGC's influence and strength in the North, and a lot more valuable information for the reader. I believe that, if the original Diary still exists, it is in the hands of someone who will never reveal it. Of course, this sure doesn't mean I won't continue to watch for it to pop up somewhere as there is always the remote possibility it is among someone's family heirlooms and they are not aware of its value. :)

http://www.archive.org/details/privatejournaldi00surr

Gary, I can understand your skepticism about Bob Brewer's statement that you quoted but one must keep in mind that the quoted article was written by a man (Brewer) who has studied the KGC for over 50 years and who personally knew some of the sentinels and learned what they wanted to teach him as a boy. When you read the whole book and take this quote in context, though, I believe you will understand Bob's reasons for saying it. He could have recovered much more of the KGC treasure, I believe, in Arkansas but refused to do so out of respect for the sentinels he knew as a young man and the "Lost Cause". He also made certain that he replaced all the metal clues exactly the way he found them and urges all others to do the same with not only buried metal clues but also with stone carvings and tree carvings since this is about the only way the KGC chose to tell their story - in code and symbols.
~Texas Jay
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning swr: You posted-->

"the millions of billions of dollars "
~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmm what is the correct designation of millions of billions in actual name?? Quintillion of course. 100,000,000,000,000,000,000. Must use the proper designation for our other posters to avoid confusion..

Don Jose de La Mancha

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Texas Jay;
I wouldn't harbor much hope in John Surratt's original diary ever popping up to the surface, because, to the best of my knowledge, it most likely never existed in the first place. If you were to carefully study John Surratt's *reproduced* diary by the person who wrote it, a certain Dion Haco, and then compare the prose and writing style to other Haco works, you'll find that they all match quite closely. Too closely, in fact. The exact same grammarical errors that John Surratt used whilst writing his diary can also be found in all of Dion Haco's other accounts, oddly enough.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lamar. I will keep that in mind but would like to read some of Haco's other works for comparison myself. Hopefully, you know of some of his books that are online and will post the links to them here.
~Texas Jay

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Texas Jay;
Some other Dion Haco works include:
Hawks, The Conscript
Clarissa, The Conscript's Bride
Larry, The Army Robber Dog (no kidding, it's an actual book title)
Perdita, The Demon Refugee's Daughter
Robert Cobb Kennedy, The Incendiary Spy

Some of them can be found at Amazon.com if you're interested in reading them. It seems that Dion Haco was quite a prolific hack writer of penny novels.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Lamar, for providing these titles. I will check into them but it may be awhile before I can read and compare them as I have a large stack of Civil War and James Gang books that I recently purchased that I must read first. :) What I'm interested in learning is the answer to this question; "How did Haco get all the secret intricate details about the KGC and their operations if he wasn't a member in order to write the Surratt Diary?"
~Texas Jay

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Texas Jay;
We must realize that most, if not all, of the stories of the KGC and their nefarious operations were set into motion by aurthors like Dion Haco, although he was by no means the only one, nor was he the worst. In other words, they made up a fictional historical tale in order to fit into an actual historical event. One the surface, it's very easy to do, however when one delves below the surface of the story, this is generally when it quickly unravels at the seams.

Dion Haco and other hack writers were penning stories of conspiracies surrounding the Civil War before the war had yet ended, and it was from these penny novels that the stories of the KGC and associated Confederate treasure grew into the legends that persist to this day.

For a classic example of how a good conspiracy theory works, let's look at the chapel of Rennes-le-Château. It is an actual church and it did have a parish priest named Fr. Bérenger Saunière, however this is where reality and fantasy part ways. The entire story surrounding Rennes-le-Château was fabricated around 1950 by a French hotel owner who wished to increase his business prospects by bringing more tourists into the village of Rennes-le-Château. One can easily plot his path of disception and fraud, yet there are those who refuse to believe in the facts and remain persistant than the church at Rennes-le-Château houses some dark, opressed secret that the Roman Catholic church has been stifling since Medieval times.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lamar. I don't think I can convince you otherwise but I have found, through my own work and the work of many excellent researchers, that much of what Haco said in the book about the KGC is totally factual, whether or not he wrote it himself or if Surratt wrote it. We have "delved" deeply below the surface in the past four years and the facts about the KGC have not unraveled "at the seams". Do you believe the Knights Templars existed or are they just another figment of the imagination? :)
~Texas Jay

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Texas Jay;
Yes, much of what Dion Haco wrote in regards to the KGC was factual and that cannot be disputed, however that information was also very well known during the time they were existence, therefore he didn't reveal any great secrets regarding the organization, it's members, or their modus operandi. The only things that he wrote about which were not public knowledge were those things which can not be proven.

We must also take into account that the book was published before John Surratt was prosecuted by the federal government. The prosecution team realized the book was a fraud from the start, because if it were factual, then they would have used John Surratt's supposed diary against him, as evidence of a conspiracy.

And yes, the Knights Templar existed, however most of the legends surrounding them are neither factual in content nor true in context.
Your friend;
LAMAR

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Hidden Treasure in Arkansas - Ten Places to Search
By Frank Pandozzi

Arkansas is well know for hidden treasures. During the 1800's, the KGC (Knights of the Golden Circle), as well as the outlaw Jessie James, were known to have buried many treasures within Arkansas. Also, this State is well known for it's gold, silver and diamond mines. Many of these mines are lost mines due to collapsed entrances caused by both man and nature. Here are ten areas to search for treasures of every kind in Arkansas.

Ten Mile House is located on State route 5 approximately 9 miles south of Little Rock. This was an old tavern and became a headquarters For Federal troops in 1863. A few buried treasure tales are associated with this building.

Old Washington is an old ghost town located on State route 4 approximately 9 miles northwest of Hope. Old Washington was famous for the Bowie knife. Near the blacksmith shop a cache of buried Bowie knives were found. Who knows what else could be buried in the vicinity.

The Lost Diamond Mine is located somewhere near Murfreesboro.

The Lost William Flynn Diggings is somewhere east of Murfreesboro.

The Lost Field of Silver Mine located in the vicinity of Quachita.

The Lost Fred Conley Gold Mine located approximately 8 miles northwest of Eureka Springs in Carroll.

The Twin Springs Treasure is located somewhere near Wickes in Polk County. According to a legend, there is a very large cache of gold bars in the area. The bars were buried during the Civil War.

Stuart's Island is located near Lake Village on the northern corner of Lake Chicot. A tale of a treasure regarding a bandit by the name of John Murral, states that he may have buried two treasures on the Island in the early 1800's.

The Madre Vena Treasure is reported to be in excess of $100 million in gold and silver bullion. Supposedly, the lost treasure is buried near Pineville.

Jessie James the outlaw buried thousands in gold in the Brushy Mountains between Hot Springs and Plainview. The treasure was stolen from the Hot Springs stagecoach.

Good luck in your search for hidden treasure.

© Frank W. Pandozzi

Frank W. Pandozzi is an author, TV Producer of Exploring Historys Treasures TV series, and a popular treasure hunter. He began his "treasure hunting" days thirty years ago. To learn more about Frank, please visit him at his website http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Frank_Pandozzi

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
cccalco:

Are you sure you can advertize on Treasure Net for a pay-for-view website?
I was informed be Jeff of PA that I could not post a non-registered dealer's
name and address.

O

Old Silver

KGC4Dixie said:
The alleged treasure belongs to the Knights of the Golden Circle, an order who, as the book would have us believe, was ultimately behind the Civil War and who ran the Confederacy as a sort of shadow government. I'm not joking. After the war was all but over, the KGC apparently decided to squirrel away vast amounts of gold in the Arkansas hills in order to finance the next war of secession, which they believed would come relatively soon. And so, we are faced with a book in which a retiree and his wife chase around the woods with Radio Shack metal detectors and unearth Mason jars full of coins. Wheee.

I wonder if this would be accepted had they used minelabs, or White's. Also, what is the point in saying these people were backwoodsmen from the hills?
I'm not saying I believe in the KGC stuff, but it seems the skeptics try too hard to convince. It just smells funny.

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
lastleg said:
cccalco:

Are you sure you can advertize on Treasure Net for a pay-for-view website?
I was informed be Jeff of PA that I could not post a non-registered dealer's
name and address.

I am not advertizing. I am selling nothing nor endorsing anything. If anyone takes anything they find online at face value their parents should take there computer away. All I am doing is posting what can be readily found on the net by anyone searching for it. The KGC forum that I represent is a research and archival forum...think library here whose motto is Caveat Lector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions