tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out early this morning for a couple hours before the heat got unbearable! I would have to say it was worth it. Found this CSN coat button laying on top of the ground after getting a good solid signal. Look down and see and shank peeking out of the dirt. Hard to believe after 150+years and cows stomping all around this beauty that it stayed right on top for that long and remains intact. The backmark is about as rare as it gets for a CSN button. Hebbert & Co. London but can't find much info on it. Most of the London backmarks are a different manufacturer. Could be cleaned a little more but Im scared to death to even try. Gently brushed it under warm water and I think that is all I will do for now. Thanks for looking folks and Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_20180710_110138824 (2).jpg
    IMG_20180710_110138824 (2).jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_20180710_110120031 (2).jpg
    IMG_20180710_110120031 (2).jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Upvote 79

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Congratulations BIG time :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to the OP - big congrats on a RARE button.:hello2:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a find of a life time!

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its a beauty congrats man!!!

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Iโ€™ll have to take everyoneโ€™s word on the rareness of this button, but can speak for the aesthetics of it. That is a truly gorgeous design. Interesting too that they were issued to infantry due to supply problems. Thank you so much for posting. Congratulations on the find and the banner.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your banner find, I have found allot of old historical stuff but a banner find still eludes me.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say 'congratulations' on a Beautiful button, I never thought a Confederate Navy wound turn up in TN,'away from a big river' (great research as well ) .

I only dream on digging a Civil War Navy Type or with a-lot of travel.

"Dalton" Some were found there ? That's close enough to give me a glitter of hope to find one someday.

As for condition , amazing for a field find & not deep, Usually IMO & from what mt experience is the woods are where the better condition Civil War buttons reside these "2018" days .

Dude enjoy your time in the Sun & Glad for a great save.
Davers

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would welcome you to the top, but I have not been there yet. Congrats on the banner! It deserves to be on top my friend

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...what a wonderful historic rescue. Shank sticking out of the ground is just crazy. Normally they are eight inches down and under five different roots. Congrats to you Mister on your Confederate Navy Button and your Banner.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great save and a very nice piece of history. It's amazing what's still out there, isn't it?

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find and Congrats on the banner! I found one too, a beautiful button, one of my special finds, but I was not eligible for the banner. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...sewife-lost-found-lost-found-again-today.html

View attachment 1613213

Wow, that is a very interesting story and your button is in amazing condition. The backmark is different than mine but the front matches perfectly. I can only imagine the grief of losing that pouch for years. I think if I lost this button or any other CS relics of mine I wouldn't know how to carry on! Thanks for the reply and this is one awesome story. You can share the banner with me and the button definitely deserves to be up top for everyone to see.

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually now that I look a little closer there is one difference between the front of the buttons. Your button does not have barrel bands on the cannon while mine does. I guess this is just the difference in manufacturers. Cool!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow, that is a very interesting story and your button is in amazing condition. The backmark is different than mine but the front matches perfectly. I can only imagine the grief of losing that pouch for years. I think if I lost this button or any other CS relics of mine I wouldn't know how to carry on! Thanks for the reply and this is one awesome story. You can share the banner with me and the button definitely deserves to be up top for everyone to see.

Thanks for the kind words. The buttons and pouch are now in a safe deposit box. I think the value of my backmark was around $2000 last i checked but I could be wrong. Doesnt matter its not for sale and my memory is not the best. Thanks for reading my story and Im glad you enjoyed it. I was ineligible because it wasn't a recent find. All my finds are old lol. Maybe its time I get back into the hobby. 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread