Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After hiking a few miles and then up the ridge we came to the old rifle pits erected by Confederate troops. It runs along the top of the ridge for several miles. Some places it is no wider than 30 yards at most and most places smaller than that. To retreat from here was a very steep rocky incline. They never had to retreat and held this position. I hope to return and photograph with better equipment than an iPhone as we get ready to celebrate 150 years. This is just a small sampling of a short section. Hope you enjoy.**** You can click the picture to make it larger.

This is a row of rocks assembled at the crest edge for defense.
View attachment 706932

View off into the valley.
View attachment 706952
Sometimes they would make a "T" for better protection with stacked stone.
photo copy 5.JPG

photo copy 7.JPG

They often utilized natural rock formations to build a pit.They would stack stone between larger rocks for protection. There are dozens like this one.

photo copy 9.JPG

Attachments

• photo copy 3.JPG
    photo copy 3.JPG
    730.1 KB · Views: 392
  • photo copy 5.JPG
    photo copy 5.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Upvote 0

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When W.T. Sherman began his Atlanta Campaign , he had 114,000 men. Bragg had been relieved ( thank god ) and replaced by General Joseph E. Johnston. The battle basically lasted 100 miles. Johnston had 62,000 men. Sherman assaulted this mountain shown in the photos above but was unable to bust thru the pass. Dalton Georgia was the only town Sherman could not take and with a series of flanking movements , Johnston had to fight backing up all the way into Atlanta. My family lived in Mill Creek just below these earthworks and endured great suffering during this action in North Georgia.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hey Richard,
Guess I missed this first time around. Good post and great pics.

Seeing those pits, rocks upright and still good fighting positions today, takes a person back in time and gives a real feel for the day. Just seeing a field where a battle took place is pretty cool, but cannot compare to a sight such as this.
Don't know as I would want to be around there at night. lol (nervously)

Thanx, for the show.

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
That's sweet leave no stone unchecked!!!! ya never know what the would of hidden in there. Good luck hunting that place is really cool !!!
I hope you mean detecting around them and not literally turning stones. If these formations survived Sherman +150 years only to be destroyed by a selfish relic collector it would truly be a shame.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you mean detecting around them and not literally turning stones. If these formations survived Sherman +150 years only to be destroyed by a selfish relic collector it would truly be a shame.

Do not worry Newsman. No selfish relic detector has torn them down. If you knew anything about detecting you would know we can scan the walls and surgically remove any relics. This place was pounded for years and survives on private land.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Pic,s
Those sites excites ones imagination ..

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Richard,
Guess I missed this first time around. Good post and great pics.

Seeing those pits, rocks upright and still good fighting positions today, takes a person back in time and gives a real feel for the day. Just seeing a field where a battle took place is pretty cool, but cannot compare to a sight such as this.
Don't know as I would want to be around there at night. lol (nervously)

Thanx, for the show.
Brent
I had most of the Army of Tennessee march through my back yard the only one missing was my man Patrick Cleburne. He circled by another route. I feel that these old Battlefields are at peace now. That night after leaving those Pits it got dark on me quick as I circled back to the Jeep and had to use the light from my Garrett Pro Pointer to guide me. It was one of those nights where you could not see your hand in front of your face.

Foolishgold no the rifle pits pictured above are not at Chickamauga they are on private owned land. It is against the law to hunt National Parks as it is hallowed ground.

I need to do a separate post of pictures on Chickamauga battlefield sometime. It is close to me. Amazing peaceful place. But here are a few off my phone from Chickamauga Battle Field.
Happy Hunting
photo copy 9.JPG

photo copy 10.JPG

photo copy 11.JPG

Last edited:

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Very Nice, when you go back be sure to detect between the rocks, bayonets are still being found-goldnugget

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread