Confederate Soldiers buried in Pa.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I have aquired a hand drawn map to a site in north central Pa. The person who drew the map was a son of a Pa. State Forester during the turn of the century. The forester claims there are 200 Confederate soldiers, who froze to death, buried here at this site.
This is way out in State Forest Lands. I can't find anything on this in my research with the historical society and library. There was no battles in this area, it is to far north. The only thing that I can think of is that they were prisoners being transported to the Elmira, N.Y. prison. But it is still off of the railway route which I would think they would have been traveling. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has any information on this or could steer me in the right direction as where to find more information. I would like to find out if this could be true or not. Thanks to anyone who can help

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a New one on Me.

? ?I know a Place in Dauphin County Where Confederate Prisoners Worked at an IRON Furnace.

I'll do some Research, See IF I can Come up with anything.

HERE is a site For Research Via Diaries Awhile

http://www.contemplator.com/america/trampsouth.html

OP
OP
simonds

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Jeff, thanks for the reply. I have read several articles on the prison in Elmira, N.Y. They took many confederate prisoners there. Many were transfered there from a prison in Maryland. I'm only assuming the railroad route was the most direct. This site is several miles off of that route and up in the mountians in nowhere land (very isolated woodland). I read about another incident similar to this one, also in north central Pa. The prisoners died in a train accident and they sent an officer from Elmira to bring the bodies on into Elmira, but they could not be released to the officer becuase they had died in Pa. Therefore they had to be buried near the accident site. It sounds to me that a soilder had to be buried in the state where he died. I don't know if this is how it had to be done. I woul like to find some elderly people in that area and see if I can gain anything more, it just seems to me this old timer would not draw this very detailed map just for no reason. I've been researching this off and on for about 9 months now and haven't come up with any documented proof of it. If I do I will let you know. Thanks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll stay on it Also simonds.

? As you Said, Makes little sense for it to Have Just been Pulled out of someones Imagination.

The Number of Prisoners, May Be Exagerated tho.

You Know how that go's.
? ? ? ? ? ? ?it could have been a dozen.

? jeff

P.S.
Not Related, But only one I know of Personally
Rumour is These Died in FURNACE EXPLOSION

Attachments

• manadagapcem3.jpg
    manadagapcem3.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 361
B

backbonz

I see it as highly possible. CSA soldiers were very poorly clothes to begin with. Over 4,000 died in Chicago, many vicitims of abject torture and starvation, all the while surrounded by a city full of food.
jeff of pa said:
The Number of Prisoners, May Be Exagerated tho.

You Know how that go's.
it could have been a dozen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread