Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possum and I took a trip down to New Orleans at a Fort we’ve been hunting well a found a iron ball and really didn’t think much of it so I put it on WHAT IS IT?

Well guys TheCannonBallGuy was gracious enough to take his time to help me. First he told me to bring it outside and hit it with a hammer and get all that rust off of it because the numbers literally have to be exact so I did my best and gave him the measurements and weight. Well my electronic caliper’s batteries were going out, so my numbers where all screwed up, but he figured it out for me anyway. Here’s what he said.

“Truth1253 wrote:
> Ok I beat it with a hammer. 3.74 inches and 5.33 ounces.

The photo shows your de-encrusted iron ball from the old fort site is definitely NOT 3.74-inches in diameter. The photo of the caliper's LCD screen indicates the battery is going bad. Judging by the old "ruler" increments on the caliper, the ball appears to be a hair or two over 1.30-inches in diameter, maybe about 1.33-inches, which puts it "right in the ballpark" for a civil war era 24-Pounder caliber Howitzer cannon's Canister-ammo ball. The 1861 Ordnance Manual's "Shot Tables" precise-size-&-weight chart for Canister-ammo says your ball's digitally-measured weight of 5.33 ounces (which includes a teeny tad for the remaining rust-crust's weight) is also correct for being a cast-iron 24-Pounder caliber Howitzer Canister-ammo ball. The Manual says that size of Canister-ammo ball should weight .32 pound, which translates to 5.12-ounces. Add about two-tenths of an ounce for the remaining rust-dirt crust, and that;'s your ball's 5.33-ounces weight.

So, in my opinion, your find IS the one-out-of-a-hundred rusty iron balls that turns out to actually be a historical military cannon-ammo ball. Congrats! [emoji4]”

ITS THE REAL THING!!!!!

I found a genuine Confederate 24 Pounder Howitzer Canister Ball!!!!

The you so much to The Cannonballguy for having the knowledge and the time to confirm one one my dream finds. Thank you [emoji1317] IMG_1021.JPG IMG_0012.JPGIMG_0012.JPG

Upvote 59
Congratulations . Nice find and well done.

Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Nice find Truth.Congrats

Fantastic! That's an amazing piece of American history!

Too cool. Congrats !! That's bad a** !!

nice a new piece to display case

Hot Damn Truth that is really cool! CBG is freakin awesome :icon_thumleft:

Possum and I took a trip down to New Orleans at a Fort we’ve been hunting well a found a iron ball and really didn’t think much of it so I put it on WHAT IS IT?

Well guys TheCannonBallGuy was gracious enough to take his time to help me. First he told me to bring it outside and hit it with a hammer and get all that rust off of it because the numbers literally have to be exact so I did my best and gave him the measurements and weight. Well my electronic caliper’s batteries were going out, so my numbers where all screwed up, but he figured it out for me anyway. Here’s what he said.

“Truth1253 wrote:
> Ok I beat it with a hammer. 3.74 inches and 5.33 ounces.

The photo shows your de-encrusted iron ball from the old fort site is definitely NOT 3.74-inches in diameter. The photo of the caliper's LCD screen indicates the battery is going bad. Judging by the old "ruler" increments on the caliper, the ball appears to be a hair or two over 1.30-inches in diameter, maybe about 1.33-inches, which puts it "right in the ballpark" for a civil war era 24-Pounder caliber Howitzer cannon's Canister-ammo ball. The 1861 Ordnance Manual's "Shot Tables" precise-size-&-weight chart for Canister-ammo says your ball's digitally-measured weight of 5.33 ounces (which includes a teeny tad for the remaining rust-crust's weight) is also correct for being a cast-iron 24-Pounder caliber Howitzer Canister-ammo ball. The Manual says that size of Canister-ammo ball should weight .32 pound, which translates to 5.12-ounces. Add about two-tenths of an ounce for the remaining rust-dirt crust, and that;'s your ball's 5.33-ounces weight.

So, in my opinion, your find IS the one-out-of-a-hundred rusty iron balls that turns out to actually be a historical military cannon-ammo ball. Congrats! [emoji4]”

ITS THE REAL THING!!!!!

I found a genuine Confederate 24 Pounder Howitzer Canister Ball!!!!

The you so much to The Cannonballguy for having the knowledge and the time to confirm one one my dream finds. Thank you [emoji1317] View attachment 1650644 View attachment 1650645View attachment 1650646

oh-lawd-have-mercy-will-you-lookat-that-memes-com-14025623.png
being-confused-smiley-emoticon.gifSeems like somebody else told ya it was the real deal... rolling.gif Congrats my brother!!! "D"

Great save! Now you have to find the gun it was fired from! Its a rule! Its a rule i just made up. But, i like it just the same. :occasion14:

Last edited:
Great save! Now you have to find the gun it was fired from! Its a rule! Its a rule i just made it up but i like it just the same. :occasion14:

11el8k.jpg

I appreciate it guys! For all of you that have found many of these the “freaking out” rush is probably over, but I’m a coin shooter not much of a CW relic hunter only because I’ve never had the opportunity to be on a site that really had especially Confederate. I’ve lucked up and found some 3 ringers at a city park, but this is something very very special to me being from a Confederate fort. So thank you so much for congratulating and allowing me to share my euphoria.

P.S. I slept with it next to me on my nightstand on the coaster I took the picture on, and I woke up and heard my Queen in the kitchen, so I asked her to bring me some coffee. So she came in with it and said, “Here you go move your ball.” Lol

THAT IS AN AMAZING FIND!!

Congratulations T!

Kace

PS...Make sure your Queen doesn't throw away your ball...LOL!!

Woah, I don't see cannonballs found here often. Good job T and nicely done having the intuition to get it IDed. I often just throw things away if I don't know what they are...

What a great find, and being able to source it to a side is the icing on the cake!

Nicely done...

Amazing find, congrats.

Beautiful piece of history. Congrats on the display piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back