Confrderat Riflemans button or something else?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have you done a magnet check on the button's front to determine whether it is iron/steel or a non-ferrous metal? I'm asking because none of the civil war military button reference-books mention an iron-front Confederate letter-button.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you done a magnet check on the button's front to determine whether it is iron/steel or a non-ferrous metal? I'm asking because none of the civil war military button reference-books mention an iron-front Confederate letter-button.

It is non-magnetic, Pete. I think it is brass, but it came out of a firebox of an old chimney .. or the dirt immediately around it ... that we have been sifting, so it could well be fire damaged. The back is definitely iron. I'll try to get a better pic posted in a bit.

Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only iron face button I have ever heard of (saw one) is a Georgia State seal button. The back is brass.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It is non-magnetic, Pete. I think it is brass, but it came out of a firebox of an old chimney .. or the dirt immediately around it ... that we have been sifting, so it could well be fire damaged. The back is definitely iron. I'll try to get a better pic posted in a bit.

Here it is cleaned to the extent that I feel comfortable with, however, when I try to enlarge the images, they seem to lose all their detail. I need a ne camera!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 2.28.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 2.28.11 PM.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the photos of the cleaned-up button. There seems to be no exact match for it shown in either the Albert or Tice button-books. Still, I suggest you show it to William Leigh for final judgement. He may need to examine it in real-life. If you need his email address, send me a PM.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the photos of the cleaned-up button. There seems to be no exact match for it shown in either the Albert or Tice button-books. Still, I suggest you show it to William Leigh for final judgement. He may need to examine it in real-life. If you need his email address, send me a PM.

Thanks Pete ..I have it in my address book .. I'll shoot him an image or two.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Pete ..I have it in my address book .. I'll shoot him an image or two.

He needs to see it in person before making any determination. I will try to make the Richmond show in November.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kewl button creskol !! I tried my best to zoom in on her, i sware i can make out a B ? but i might be wrong! neat find either way.. :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread