✅ SOLVED Friction Primer Part???

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay, just how does a novice tell the difference between a piece of junk wire and a piece of wire off of a friction primer? I saw a post elsewhere and it got me thinking of a piece of wire I found over a year ago that I still have kicking around.

I kept it because of what it was found near. I found it near a round ball and a harness buckle shield. The area that I was hunting in is in Missouri and near areas that had numerous CW raids. There are local articles about both Union and Confederate camping on private property (2-10 soldiers) heading to and from different places.

I am guessing that this is just a piece of wire, but would like to know how to tell for sure.

Thanks,
Doug

fuze001.jpg
fuze002.jpg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to have to disappoint you, but the answer to your question is, cannon friction primers had a brass or copper pull-wire, never iron wire. Nonetheless, asking for identification is the smart thing to do, instead of throwing away an unknown object.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
turtlefoot13

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the great info. I figured it was just a piece of wire. You gave me the info that I needed. I appreciate it.

Doug

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread