Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Once again Nautilus beats out all the competition (Minelabs, Whites, Tesoros, etc.). :'(

How do they keep doing this?

Badger

I see bounty hunter came in second.
Do you think this reflects on the skill of the hunters or the capabilities of the machines used?

2007 GNRS Team standings and individual scores

Placing
Team
1st Nautilus 478

2nd Bounty Hunter 476

3rd Tesoro 364

4th Minelab 356
5th Whites 306

6th Fisher 287
7th Garrett 138

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
The Nautilus is just a super deep machine if you can swing that HUMONGOUS coil. I swear, it looks like you are swinging a satellite dish with that coil on it. The machine is deep, but you need the arms and stamina for it.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Gib----I just can't figure Bounty Hunter coming in second.
I did not think they were that good of a machine.
I wonder what model they were using.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A friend of mine was the 2nd highest placing individual hunter. He was using an Explorer, and scored 6 period coins (colonial copper, half cents, etc...), and dozens of period items. The way he explained it was that the overall brand score was sort of meaningless, for several reasons:

1) there are so many applicants to get on the teams, that the organizers have to use a lottery, to see who actually gets on the teams for the brands. So often time, you have a newbie rookie using, let's say, a Minelab for instance, who might find practically nothing. That brings down, in this example, the Minelab score.

2) The Nautlius is a niche machine, almost exclusively used by hardcore CW/colonial hunters. Ie.:, it's not the type machine newbies/rookies gravitate towards. So basically, the guys that get on that team, are by their very nature, hardcore experienced users, who will of course outscore the more cross-sectioned other-brand teams. That's not to say that Nautilus isn't a good machine/brand, but just that that team is more likely to be aces to begin with.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Merf said:
I agree Gib----I just can't figure Bounty Hunter coming in second.
I did not think they were that good of a machine.
I wonder what model they were using.

I thought I'd read where they (a # of them) were using the T2.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
A friend of mine was the 2nd highest placing individual hunter. He was using an Explorer, and scored 6 period coins (colonial copper, half cents, etc...), and dozens of period items. The way he explained it was that the overall brand score was sort of meaningless, for several reasons:

1) there are so many applicants to get on the teams, that the organizers have to use a lottery, to see who actually gets on the teams for the brands. So often time, you have a newbie rookie using, let's say, a Minelab for instance, who might find practically nothing. That brings down, in this example, the Minelab score.

2) The Nautlius is a niche machine, almost exclusively used by hardcore CW/colonial hunters. Ie.:, it's not the type machine newbies/rookies gravitate towards. So basically, the guys that get on that team, are by their very nature, hardcore experienced users, who will of course outscore the more cross-sectioned other-brand teams. That's not to say that Nautilus isn't a good machine/brand, but just that that team is more likely to be aces to begin with.

Thanks for the info Tom-----

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I'd read where they (a # of them) were using the T2.
[/quote]

I guess at $800 that T2 must be a pretty good machine Stoney.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location, Location, Location.

You swing over the right piece of Ground & Dig, you get the
Goodie.

as said earlier Nautilus Users are Not Newbies.
They know where to look, & Know their Signals.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I think it's more a fact of who they are in bed with. The good ole boy network at work.

Seriously though, the team has a lot of years experience using their machines and have perfected it to an artform, they don't have time for the new people, or mistakes, or ameteur stuff like that, they spend every living moment of their lives sweeping their machines to fine tune for the grand hunt every year, which is why they keep winning. Just ask the family members who keep posting pictures of them on the back of milk cartons hoping that a loved one might come back home one day.

Aaron

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Jeff, - this don't prove anything! Perhaps the White's and Minelab's users were just slower or less experienced. Certain machines favor hunt competitions etc. We are not impressed! ;D

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Wow, that looks like a cool event.

If you take the top two scorers from each team here are the real standings: ;) ;D

1.Minelab(137)
2. Bounty Hunter(130)
3. Nautilus(107)
4. Tesoro(80)
5. Whites(76)
6. Fisher(67)
7. Garrett(26)

Nautilus won because of the consistency of the scores. I was surprised at how poorly Garrett did. If you read about the background and experience of the team Garrett participants most of these guys have been detecting 8+ years. Not newbs.

I saw some of the finds on Treasure Depot - these were impressive:
http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/gnrs/gnrs_config.pl?read=28419

It would be better if each team could pick it's own participants based on some other criteria...

Bob

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff of pa said:
Location, Location, Location.

You swing over the right piece of Ground & Dig, you get the
Goodie.

as said earlier Nautilus Users are Not Newbies.
They know where to look, & Know their Signals.

Yes, Jeff hit the nail here on this one.

I asked the guys on the team about this and the reply from one was: "We choose Nautilus because we're experienced hunters" (or words to that affect). They get a little irritated about this if you get my drift?

I think this hunt has been overlooked by some of the best who use other brands. I mean, I'll bet most here at TN never even heard of it.

Pass the word and lets see the serious hunters who use Whites, Garretts, Minelabs, Tesoros, Fishers, BH's, etc., get into the game. Then we'd really see something. Get the best competing and I think we'll see a new brand winner almost every round.

But as for Nautilus, in my opinion, the company really needs to do some upgrading of their product. That 60's lunch box metal box needs to go. They need to get rid of that heavy S rod and bring that design up to at least the 1990's. Thanks to Whites making a decent shaft you can use a Nautilus without it breaking your back. Also an open and lighter waterproof search coil would also be rather nice. Many of their most devoted followers also tell them this but it all falls on deaf ears. The company won't even replace that troublesome on/off toggle switch with a knob. As it is now, guys end up at a site only to discover their batteries are run down because that blasted toggle got bumped on during transit!

But I must say that even if they did all the above mentioned things I still wouldn't buy a new Nautilus today. The Tejon and Sovereign GT are just too good. Also I hear that Whites MXT with that bigger DD is supreme.

Lets see the folks here who really know how to hunt CW sites and who know their machines well get into next year's competition.

Badger

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I don't know how they figure the point scores. Whether each item is 1 point or certain items rate extra points. But to me there would be a difference whether you're just walking along scanning the ground but some prefer to run all metal looking for fire pits and huts then excavate down a couple feet and find items including things that won't sound off, like bottles and small items that won't register from the surface. Newbies would probably use the method they're familiar with which is scanning the ground hoping to find items either dropped or tossed aside which would be farther between than areas where soldiers sat around the fire or slept in the tent over longer periods of time. Just my scattered thoughts.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding the Nautilus Has to have Headphones to work Properly.

You hear All Metal in one Ear & Discriminate in the other ear
at the same time. and Interperate that way.

If this is Correct then you are Actually Getting the Best of Both Worlds
simultaneously.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
stoney56 said:
I don't know how they figure the point scores. Whether each item is 1 point or certain items rate extra points. But to me there would be a difference whether you're just walking along scanning the ground but some prefer to run all metal looking for fire pits and huts then excavate down a couple feet and find items including things that won't sound off, like bottles and small items that won't register from the surface. Newbies would probably use the method they're familiar with which is scanning the ground hoping to find items either dropped or tossed aside which would be farther between than areas where soldiers sat around the fire or slept in the tent over longer periods of time. Just my scattered thoughts.

Some good scattered thoughts. ;D

I looked on the site for scoring but didn't see anything.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff of pa said:
My understanding the Nautilus Has to have Headphones to work Properly.

You hear All Metal in one Ear & Discriminate in the other ear
at the same time. and Interperate that way.

If this is Correct then you are Actually Getting the Best of Both Worlds
simultaneously.

This is true Jeff. I liked that part and too the Nautilus IIB is deep (the Sovereign and Tejon are deeper). If you're hunting sites out away from powerlines one could work for you.

But if you get one, buy it used and keep your Sovereign.

Used Nautilus IIB's and IIBa's go pretty cheap nowadays. If possible get one with the Whites rod mod already done. They're worth maybe $275 to $300 if mint.

I know many get upset about this next suggestion but from my own experience I've discovered that one site online tells the truth about depth. The best depth comparison chart online is found at this link:

http://www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk/depth_test.htm

It was this chart that informed me of the great depth of the Silver uMax fitted with the web coil. I tested it and the chart is dead on accurate. All the models are correctly represented (in my opinion).

Badger

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF I lived in Civil War Relic areas,
I'd get a Nautilus Badger.

But, for my area, with all the Iron Ore,
I think it would be
Very hard to Improve on what I'm using.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I know some of the folks on more than one team. There is a definate aire of prudishness there. The teams are pretty much hand selected and each is as blindly loyal to their brand as a religeous zealot is about their god, a political puppet to their party / nominee,... the ford man to his ford.... you get the idea.

A good machine has a lot to do with success, experience has even more to do with it. The whites machines at these hunts, this one, the NS hunt, just to name a few, perform stellarly as well, but if they are in the hands of someone who is not as well versed at relic hunting, then someone with more experience, with a lesser machine, may very well do better.

Just because you own a ferrari doesn't mean you know how to fully drive it, but it does help win the race once you do learn it.

Aaron

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Ascholten said:
The teams are pretty much hand selected and each is as blindly loyal to their brand as a religeous zealot is about their god, a political puppet to their party / nominee,... the ford man to his ford.... you get the idea.

Aaron

This is not true at all as far as being hand selected. They are drawn by lottery. You put in for which team you want to try out for, and everyone for that brand goes into a hat. There is brand loyalty sure, but people sign up for teams strategically too. For years no one even wanted to be on the Bounty Hunter team. There were fewer entrants for that brand, so people would put in for that group for a better chance to get on a team. With the introduction of the T2, that has changed. I was drawn for the Tesoro team this year...never been to one, never even signed up before, but I was picked. Unfortunatley I had to drop out since I have a limited amount of vacation time to use and a guy at work had surgery so we were short staffed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread